Obtaining a bachelor's degree in a higher education institution in Switzerland is prestige and quality. Every year, a large number of students go to the country for knowledge and interesting educational programs at Swiss universities.
Advantages of studying in Switzerland
- Excellent technical equipment
- Variety of teaching methods: lectures, seminars, group assignments, presentations, research, experiments, speeches
- Balance of theory and practice
- Paid internship
- Wide range of programs
- Obtaining a prestigious diploma.
Getting Bachelor's degree in Switzerland
The bachelor's program in Switzerland is designed for 3 years, during which you need to gain 180 credits. About 40-50% of the fees time is given to practice (seminars, reports, speeches), and the theoretical part includes lectures, reading literature and research projects. In English, there are few bachelor's programs in Switzerland, the more common version is programs in German, French and Italian.
When studying at a bachelor's degree in Switzerland, foreign students can work a maximum of 15 hours per week during their studies and up to 100% during breaks between semesters, but in any case this must be reported to the relevant immigration authorities.
Tips to successfuly study undergraduate programs in Switzerland
- Don't accumulate debts
- Do not hesitate - actively join the educational process and meet new people
- Save money for each year of study in advance
- Do not miss lectures and take notes
- Do your visa processing in advance
- Learn the languages of the country
- Don't overload yourself with study.
What are the most popular undergraduate programs in Switzerland?
- IT & Programming
- Cybernetics and Robotics
- Computer graphics and design
- Linguistics, journalism and philology
- Music and visual arts
- History and sociology
- Hotel and restaurant business
- International relations
- Marketing & Management
- Finance and banking.
Tuition fees and cost of living
At the bachelor's degree, you can study at both public and private universities. In private universities, the price will be quite high - from $ 30,000 / year. State universities are much more budgetary - prices from $ 1000.
Switzerland is quite an expensive country, so more than $ 2,000 can go per month. The main condition for obtaining a visa is the availability of funds at the rate of $ 25,000 per year. Housing here is also expensive, so you need to be prepared to spend a large amount. For example, the average budget you will need to allocate for living in Switzerland ranges from 1300€ to 1700 € / month (including housing, transport, food and other expenses). A student residence will cost you 400-850 €/month, and an apartment - 700-1300€/month.
A huge plus of studying for a bachelor's degree in Switzerland is that you can apply for a scholarship that will be able to cover a lot of expenses and some of the tuition fees.
There are many types of scholarships in Switzerland, for example:
- Université de Genève Scholarships
- Scholarships of the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
- Extension Scholarship at ETH Zurich
- ETH-D Scholarship at ETH Zurich.
Scholarship applications are accepted in English, French, German and Italian. First of all, you need to find a professor at a University in Switzerland who will be your supervisor and will be ready to vouch for your actions and research. Applications of candidates who have not found a supervisor are rejected.
Package of documents for scholarships:
- Signed FCS application form (printed) with photo (Application form)
- Full summary
- Motivation letter
- Research objective
- A copy of a letter from a professor at the University of Switzerland (including her/his brief summary) confirming that he is ready to supervise and support your research.
What documents are required for admission to Switzerland for a bachelor's degree?
- Unified exam for foreigners – certificate
- Language certificate of Proficiation in French, German or Italian (depends on the canton)
- Certificate of knowledge of the English language at the proper level
- Motivation letter
- Characteristics from your teachers.
To apply for a student visa to Switzerland, you will need the following documents:
- Foreign passport, Russian passport
- Three copies of the passport
- Copies of the last two Schengen visas
- Passport photos
- Medical insurance
- Confirmation of admission to the university
- Confirmation of tuition fees
- All available diplomas, certificates and curriculum translated into the language of instruction
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETHZ) (prices - from $ 1100)
It offers programs in applied and exact sciences in English, German and French.
The University consists of the following faculties:
- Architecture and civil engineering
- Engineering Sciences
- Science and Mathematics
- System-oriented natural sciences
- Management, humanities and social sciences.
The Higher Polytechnic School is famous for its powerful theoretical knowledge within the framework of academic teaching.
University of Geneva (prices - from $ 1000)
The most popular destinations are:
- Life Sciences and Medicine
- Chemistry, natural sciences
- Engineering & Technology
- Social Sciences and Management
- Arts and humanities.
EU Business School Geneva (prices from $27,100)
Why study at EU Business School Geneva?
- Top University
- Possibility of obtaining a double diploma
- Balanced programs
- Active development of leadership qualities.
Culinary Arts Academy Switzerland
- Tuition prices start from $850/month (Foundation international program) and from $20,000 for undergraduate.
This is a well-known academy of culinary art. Here students master the skills of cooking traditional dishes of China, Mexico, Thailand, India, the Mediterranean region. Culinary Arts Academy is well equipped: there is modern equipment in classrooms, prep kitchens and working restaurants, a separate kitchen for making bread and pastries.
Other private universities:
- Hotel Institute Montreux (from 35 000$)
- International University in Geneva (from 30 000$)
- MBU – Montreux Business University (from $ 35,000).
Best Swiss universities with affordable tuition fees
- University of Basel — 1714$
- University of Bern — 1513$
- University of Lausanne — 1170$
- Zurich University of Applied Sciences — 1452$
- University of Fribourg — 1624$
- Bern University of Applied Sciences — 1513$
- Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts — 1613$
- Zurich University of the Arts — 1 452$.