University of Technology Lappeenranta
Description of University of Technology Lappeenranta
- Established: 1969
- Language of instruction: English
- Type: state
- Location: Lappeenranta, Finland
- Number of students: 5000
- Rating: 31st place in the ranking of the best young universities Times Higher Education 100 Under 50.
From 1969 to 2002, the institution functioned as the Lappeenranta Higher School of Economics, in 2002 it was reorganized into the Lappeenranta University of Technology. The main goal of the university is to combine economics and modern technology. Together with the city administration, students developed a project for households, thanks to which they can transfer solar energy from their panels to the city's electric grid.
The main areas of scientific and educational activity of the University of Technology in Lappeenranta can be called energy technology, electrical engineering, mechanics and mechanical engineering.
The university appreciates the time and effort of its students - the subjects studied are divided into compulsory and secondary. A mandatory visit is given three days a week, the rest is at the request and ability of the student.
The academic year at the university is divided into four periods, each of which ends with an exam. Each audience is equipped with audio and video equipment to exclude any possibility of cheating. In one audience, several subjects are handed over at the same time, so there will not be a student nearby who will hand over the same subject.
The university participates in world exchange programs. Students who participate in the programs themselves choose their specialties for study.
Currently available programs:
- Energy systems
- Engineering science
- Business and management.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in University of Technology Lappeenranta
Accommodation, meals, prices
All nonresident students are provided with a place in the student dormitory: it resembles an apartment building in which each student has a separate room, and the kitchen and toilet are designed for 2-3 rooms. The price includes the use of laundry and internet, for an additional fee you can use the parking and sauna.
There are no commandants in the hostel, you can get into the building using a special key issued to the residents.
The cost of living in a hostel is 200-400 € per month.
- Small study groups, allowing teachers to know students in person
- Using modern teaching methods and tools
- Laboratories equipped to the latest standards
- The teaching staff has about 900 people who have confirmed their qualifications
- University students regularly receive patents for research and invention
- The undergraduate curriculum of the Faculty of Energy Systems received the EUR-ACE- and ASIIN quality marks, which confirms international recognition
- Much attention is paid to the study of eco-technologies of the future.
- About 15% of students are foreigners, which allows students to plunge into the culture of other countries
- All 11 proposed graduate programs are taught only in English, even for Finnish students.
Facilities and equipment at University of Technology Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta is a small town in which everything is in close proximity to each other.
On the campus there are cafeterias, gyms, libraries, an own medical center.
All classrooms are equipped with computers, printers and scanners, which can be used by any student after entering the ID.
Between lectures, students can relax in bean bags by the panoramic windows overlooking the forest and the lake, make tea and coffee or reheat food in microwave ovens in the kitchenettes located in the corridors of the building.
The university is open only on weekdays, the doors are closed on weekends, but all students are given a key to open the university and use the necessary equipment, etc.
Admission dates and extra charges
The academic year consists of two semesters: the first begins in September, the second in January.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
- For admission to the bachelor's degree, you must provide a certificate of secondary education, an application and a certificate confirming knowledge of the English language (IELTS 6.0 / TOEFL iBT 80)
- For admission to the master's program you must provide a diploma of higher education and a certificate of knowledge of the English language (IELTS 6.5 / TOEFL iBT 90)
- To enter a doctoral program, you need a master's degree diploma in the chosen specialty, work experience and a certificate of knowledge of the English language (IELTS 6.5 / TOEFL iBT 90).
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about University of Technology Lappeenranta
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.