- Secondary education in the UK
- Programs for preparing students for admission
- List of educational institutions for university preparation
- Language courses for foreign students
- Education in universities after passing the programs for preparation for admission
- Examples of popular universities in Oxford
Oxford is one of the most popular places for education in the world: there have always been the most elite and prestigious educational institutions, and many people who want to study at Oxford have highly qualified teachers in modern schools and universities.
Secondary education in the UK
Education in the middle classes is compulsory for students. Usually, foreign students start their British education from a high school, in which they study for 4 years, from 11 to 14 years. Primary education is also available - elementary school is visited by children from 4 to 11 years old. The final stage, which is accompanied by the receipt of the diploma of the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE), is designed for students from 14 to 16 years. The methods of education and the characteristics of upbringing focus on teamwork, experiments, practical skills, and at the last stage of education for students offer a large list of subjects to choose from.
Programs for preparing students for admission
In the UK, there are several pre-university educational programs that are attended by students usually between the ages of 16 and 18:
- A-Level (2 years)
- International Foundation (1 year)
- International Baccalaureate (2 years).
The A-Level program is provided by the UK national education system and is mandatory for those who have chosen the British education system: students take exams twice, each year of study, the certificate is accepted by all universities of the country.
The annual course of the International Foundation is designed for foreign students so that they can prepare for entering the university, get acquainted with the academic program and improve the level of English language skills. The curriculum is very rich, consists of compulsory and specialized subjects.
The international program International Baccalaureate helps prepare students for study abroad and is suitable even for those students who have not yet decided on their future profession. In addition to 3 subjects that are studied at the standard level, and 3 subjects with an in-depth program, students study the theory of knowledge.
List of educational institutions for university preparation
- Private School St. Clare's Oxford, programs: International Foundation and International Baccalaureate. Course fee IF - 18,795 £ / year, IB - 3,996 £ for 3 weeks
- Bellerbys College Oxford is in the TOP-30 private schools in Britain and offers courses: A-Level for 8,170 £ / term and International Foundation - 6,915 £ / term
- King's College Oxford Kings is part of an international network that specializes in pre-university education. The A-Level program costs 23,970 £ / year, the International Foundation 5,315 £ / trimester course.
Language courses for foreign students
Many students before entering the University of Oxford are engaged in linguistic courses to improve their level of English language skills - there are also available summer programs and year-round courses. For already enrolled students who lack the level of knowledge to understand the curriculum, parallel complementary exercises in English are available.
- For example, in the Bell Bloxham language school, English language programs will be offered for students from 11 to 17 years of age. The learning process is based on the university principle - students are encouraged to develop not only linguistic, but also academic skills. There is also an opportunity to combine study and rest in the summer, there are courses of different intensity with an entertainment program. The cost of attending school is from 2,625 £ for 2 weeks.
- The OISE Oxford Summer School has a high ranking and annually attracts tourists from all over the world for instruction in linguistic programs; for admission to the course you must have a certificate confirming the level of the English language (the level of knowledge should be above A1). The campus of the language school surrounds 1200 hectares of parks and gardens; the program price starts from 4,720 £ for 2 weeks.
Education in universities after passing the programs for preparation for admission
After passing pre-university programs, most graduates continue their studies at Oxford universities with the highest rankings and best reviews. When choosing educational institutions for university preparation, it is necessary to find out with which universities they are cooperating: it is likely that after the successful completion of the pre-university course the university will free from entrance examinations.
Examples of popular universities in Oxford
- University of Oxford. A unique feature of the university is the system of teaching under the bachelor's and master's programs, the main directions: social and human sciences, medicine
- Oxford Brookes University has bachelor's and master's programs in the field of public, humanitarian, social, applied, natural, exact sciences.