New York is the most modern and dynamic city in America, which is considered prestigious and promising to study and work in. Millions of foreign students come here every year, which is why the conditions for entering New York schools are becoming tougher. In order to successfully enter the selected school, it is worthwhile to prepare in advance, having studied the nuances.
TOP-5 most important nuances for admission to schools in New York
- First, before you start choosing a school, you should decide on your future profession, specialization. Along with general schools in New York, there are many specialized schools, and choosing the right one is half the battle on the way to entering an American college or university, because here students will be able to study those subjects that will be necessary for entering a university.
- Secondly, you need to be prepared for selection, especially for middle and senior level. All kinds of tests, interviews and other forms of assessment of the academic level are actively used by schools.
- Thirdly, the level of English proficiency should not be lower than conversational: this is not only a requirement of the school, but also a necessity for the student himself, because all subjects are taught in English. New York is a very hospitable city - here schools especially for foreign students are developing an adaptation system that, in general, works well. But despite this, any person easily and quickly adapts to the new language environment, if he is confident in a foreign language. Some schools require a certificate confirming their language proficiency upon admission.
- Fourth, the cost of training can vary greatly. So, public schools are cheaper compared to private, narrowly targeted schools, where the cost of education starts at 30,000 $ / per year. But in any school there is a system of encouraging the best students with scholarships, which can cover part of the costs. A separate item of expenditure may be a fee for accommodation, since not all schools include it in the price.
- Fifth, appropriate programs are provided for students of different ages. Most New York schools accept international students over 11 years old. Younger students have the opportunity to study only in private schools, where the issue of guardianship and accommodation is much easier to solve.
SMAPSE professional consultants will help you decide on the choice of a school abroad, taking into account all the nuances! On the example of Ross School, SMAPSE experts consider the conditions and the process of admission to high school in New York:
- Private school Ross School is perfect for those who want to get a high-quality education (more than 70% of the teaching staff are teachers with the highest academic degree), coupled with social, creative and sports development. The curriculum is based on world history and the evolution of consciousness, much attention is paid to the development of personal talents and abilities.
- Borders can go to school from the 7th grade inclusive (11-12 years). The full cycle of study involves high school programs, Diploma + Advance Placement.
- The decision on admission is made on the basis of confirmed academic knowledge, social and creative abilities. Together with the application form for admission, you must submit the following documents:
- official statement with grades from the school for the last 2-3 years
- recommendations from the class teachers of mathematics and English
- copies of all student achievements (diplomas, awards, letters of thanks, etc.)
- copies of personal documents (birth certificate, passport, medical certificate, photo).
English proficiency is advanced. The presence of the TOEFL certificate is a mandatory requirement for everyone (in case of its absence, students are invited to take a test at school).
A personal interview with a school representative is a mandatory step in admission, while passing special school tests can be selective.
4. The cost of education consists of several components: the year of study with accommodation and meals on a full board basis - 55,900 $, registration fee - 415 $, school infrastructure and technology + educational materials - 1,550 $, leisure + excursions - 2,150 $, student service + room reserve + medical insurance - 4,150 $. Flights, visa costs are paid separately.