Information technology in Canada is a rapidly developing and extremely profitable field, because IT courses attract many students. Where to go to study, what are the most popular programs in the field of IT and how much does it cost to study in Canada?
Advantages of studying IT in Canada for foreign students
- Canada is a top country where the economy flourishes and some of the best conditions for emigration. In addition, foreign students have real chances to find a job: there are many international corporations in Canada, and good specialists with IT education are in high demand.
- As a student of a Canadian university, you will receive up-to-date information and master a sought-after profession. The choice of promising and new specialties is very wide, especially in such areas as virtualization technologies, computer networks, Windows Server administration, disaster recovery, information databases, multimedia and digital security.
- Canadian universities are great for students who are only at the beginning of the journey, as well as specialists with experience or wanting to learn a new profession. At universities and colleges, you will find bachelor's, master's, PhD and professional courses.
- The choice of educational institutions is wide: you can study at a top university or prefer a budget college.
IT education in Canadian universities
Canadian universities offer undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs, as well as short-term courses for students. The duration of training will be about 5 years in the bachelor's degree and about 2 in the magistracy. The language of instruction in most universities is English, but in the French-speaking provinces you can find a university with programs in French.
IT students attend lectures and seminars, project work and internship programs. They study the following subjects:
- Digital image and sound
- Artificial intelligence
- Networking and Administration
- Computing Architecture
- Computer Engineering
- Operating systems
- Computer game development
- Computer graphics
- Software development
- Software Systems
- Data Management
- Web Development
- Database design.
IT training often involves practice and cooperation with IT companies. IT Co-op is an integral component of many diploma programs, thanks to which the student gets the opportunity to combine study with work in the specialty. Often, thanks to internships, students gain experience in the specialty in the Canadian environment even before receiving a diploma.
Most popular IT-specialties in Canada
- Web Developer
- Java programmer
- Consultant of information systems
- BigData Specialist
- Network and computer operators
- Data Administrator
- Interactive Media Developers
- Specialists with knowledge of Linux, Java| Perl; C#, Ruby.
Salary of IT-specialists
Average salaries in Canada range from $41,000 CAD per year in start-up positions to $130,000CAD per year per manager. The range of salaries in different provinces of Canada is as follows:
- Calgary: from 56 000$ CAD to 119 000$ CAD
- Toronto: from 55 000$ CAD to 107 000$ CAD
- Vancouver: from 54 000$ CAD to 105 000$ CAD
- Ottawa: from 52 000 $ CAD to 103 000$ CAD
- Edmonton, Halifax: $46,000 CAD to $98,000 CAD
- Montreal: from 45 000$ CAD to 95 000$ CAD
- Quebec: from 43 000 $ CAD to 93 000 $ CAD.
Where to study IT in Canada?
More than a hundred universities of the country invite students to study IT and programming:
- TOP and private universities in Canada are the most prestigious, but it should be borne in mind that for the prestige of the diploma, students pay twice as much
- Public universities and colleges in Canada are distinguished by academic weight and impeccable reputation, in them you will find quality programs with internships. For example, Humber, George Brown, British Colombia Institute of Technology, etc.
- The oldest educational institutions of the country are known for their traditions and heritage. The duration of bachelor's courses is four years, in the magistracy - two years.
- Vocational colleges offer training in two-year programs that prepare specialists for work after graduation. One of their advantages is more reasonable prices. Canada's famous state college, Seneca, includes real internships at major technology companies such as Microsoft, Bell, Rogers, Keysight Technologies and FreescaleSemiconductors.
Tuition fees for an IT specialty in Canada
For clarity, here are some examples of prices for programs at universities in Canada in 2021. The programming program at the University of Toronto costs from $ 22,407 CAD, while the university offers more than 4400 scholarships for applicants. First-year students, including foreign students, are automatically considered for various scholarships, awards and scholarships vary depending on the department, faculty and college.
Training at the Faculty of Information Technology of Thompson Rivers University starts from $ 20,000 per year.
Canada's Best Universities to Study IT for foreign students
- Royal Roads University.The university is located in British Columbia, today it has more than 5,000 students. The university's training programs are recognized all over the world - it is no coincidence that specialized and practicing specialists, professors and scientists work on them. A distinctive feature of the university is tracking innovations in the academic and teaching environment and their active implementation into university realities. The university regularly ranks first in Canada in various categories, for example, it is among the five best universities in the country in terms of equipment. Royal Roads University has a unique campus on the ocean coast, which can be seen in the second and third parts of the X-Men franchise.
- Fraser International College. Preparatory and academic programs of the university lay a solid foundation for a professional career and further education. Graduates of the Computer Science program have excellent prospects for finding work in the following areas: business analytics, bioinformatics, cryptography, information security, web development and programming. Fraser International College is especially popular among international students without experience of studying abroad earlier – the college creates excellent conditions for adaptation.
- George Brown College.Training of specialists who meet the needs of the labor market is a priority of the college. The educational institution actively cooperates with national and international organizations and offers paid internships in companies such as General Motors, Cisco Systems, HP, Siemens Canada and Honda Canada.
- University of Windsor.The state university is considered one of the most prestigious educational institutions in Canada. Here, students receive classical education in undergraduate, master's and PhDprograms. Due to the high quality of programs, the university is among the 5% of the best higher education institutions in the world.
- Humber College.The University of Technical Profile offers a wide range of programs, many of which are considered unique in the country. The university has an excellent location - 40 minutes from downtown Toronto and the business district of the city. The famous college was founded in 1965 and is very popular among students in the field of IT.
- Fanshawe College.Canada's largest college has campuses around the world and offers quality courses to study IT.Popular college programs are training combined with paid internships.
- Sheridan College. A prestigious university offering practical education is located in the province of Ontario. The university has been successfully carrying out educational activities since 1967. College graduates are successful designers, programmers, animators and web developers.
- Saint Lawrence College. The college is located in Ontario and offers more than 100 academic programs to students from around the world. Top areas of the university: graphic design, information security and business analytics.