For foreign students Canada has a large number of quality programs, which along with such advantages as relevance and practical orientation have another rare advantage - relatively low cost. In addition, Canadian legislation offers some of the most promising prospects for university graduates. Vancouver is a friendly, picturesque and cozy city on the west coast of the country with a mild climate, lots of park areas and cultural sites.
The advantages of education in educational institutions in Canada
- In Vancouver, one of the best conditions for living - and, in general, Canada is rightly considered a safe country with a high quality of life;
- Excellent prospects for university graduates who can stay in the country for a maximum of three years to find a job;
- Students of universities during the practice will be able to gain invaluable experience in international companies;
- Vancouver offers a large number of various grants and scholarship programs.
Education system in Canada: forms and types of education
Average profile school
Pre-school stage in Vancouver
In Vancouver, for children, instead of the kindergartens that are used to us, educational centers are open, in which children spend time before school, but preschool education is not necessary and quite expensive. In the process of teaching children, various forms of education are included: much attention is devoted to the socialization of children and adaptation to stress, and then to the mastery of school skills.
Canadian Schools: Principles of Development and Upbringing
As in America, in the issue of study, many prefer private boarding schools. There are various international programs on the American and English model of education. One of the advantages of learning here will be the opportunity to undergo a three-semester program that will allow you to get a Graduation Certificate quickly. You can get to the programs that are taught in French or English. Foreign students can study both in public and private schools, but on a fee basis. For example, the cost of studying in a private school Pattison High School in the program of senior classes will be about 23,280 CAD $ per year.
The main principle of education is independence and personal choice. There is a small list of compulsory subjects, in general, each student makes up the curriculum itself. In the upper grades, the students of schools begin to seriously study for admission to the university and study profile subjects.
Popular Pre-University Courses in Vancouver
For those foreigners who come to Vancouver to enter the University of Canada, intensive educational courses for the university have been developed: they can be better suited to the knowledge of subjects and, more importantly, to join the language environment and master the communication skills. In Vancouver, there are a lot of programs for future students, among which are the following:
- Transfer program - a course consisting of several blocks, is noteworthy in that the most successful students can apply immediately to the second year of the university. This course can be taken at Fraser International College, where the cost is 18,000 CAD $ .
- Advanced Placement (AP) - the course of in-depth study of core subjects at the level of the first year in the university, built on the American educational model. Bodwell High School has developed a program for students Diploma + Advanced Placement (from 38,600 CAD $).
- International Baccalaureate (IB) - an international course that prepares students for admission to the best universities in the world. Alexander Academy invites to the IB course, which will cost about 15,800 CAD $.
Features of programs at Canadian universities and colleges
In Vancouver, you can get higher education in colleges and universities. Academic programs of colleges focus mainly on practice: a course of web design, accounting, business administration is widespread here. Universities specialize in teaching specialists from different areas, especially in Vancouver, the legal and medical faculties are considered prestigious. In universities, students are awarded degrees corresponding to the graduation of the Bologna process:
- Bachelor (primary education lasting 2 years);
- Master (postgraduate programs, 4-5 years of study);
- Doctor of Philosophy (research program, 1-2 years)
The basic requirements for graduates of foreign schools over 18 years will be the results of education at home and high language study ( IELTS 6.0-7.0, TOEFL - 580-600, DALF / DELF level 2-3). For students there are quotas of places that limit the possibility of admission. Each university has the right to set its own requirements, so it may be necessary to pass exams on the school program - SAT or ACT.
Opportunities for foreign students in Canada and Vancouver
- Work while studying. Foreign students have the right to work part-time, but not more than 20 hours a week. The average cost of one hour of work is 12 CAD $.
- Scholarships and grants. For foreign students on any university programs, there is an opportunity to receive financial support - for this it is necessary to have high academic indicators and a level of knowledge of languages of at least 7.0 IELTS. On postgraduate programs, the applicant must submit his research project.
- To teach foreign students under the age of 18 in Vancouver, it is necessary to have an official representative (guardian), in addition, foreign certificates must pass the confirmation procedure by special organizations that have permission for this.
- While studying, students can choose accommodation options in the host family or in the boarding school. Students from abroad usually live on the campus of the university.
- After graduation, the student has the following opportunity to stay in the country for a period of 1 to 3 years to find a job in the specialty or to devote himself to an academic career.