- The advantages of the educational institutions of Lausanne
- The educational system in Switzerland: the main educational levels and academic programs
- Opportunities for foreign students in Lausanne
- What are the programs for foreign students in Lausanne
The Swiss system of education has a number of differences from the many others, which should be taken into account when choosing a program and an educational institution. In addition, each canton makes its own adjustments to the educational program, so the features of the learning process and organization can fundamentally differ from each other. In all cantons, secondary education from 6 to 16 years is free and compulsory. At the heart of education in Switzerland lie the methods of world-famous teachers: Pestalozzi, Montessori, Piaget. To date, it is the Swiss ideas for the upbringing and development of students that are considered the most harmonious and very in demand.
The advantages of the educational institutions of Lausanne
- A large number of linguistic and academic programs, as well as the opportunity to choose the language of instruction from the four national ones - an undoubted advantage of the educational centers of Lausanne;
- Accommodation in Lausanne will give a unique opportunity to get acquainted with the local amazing nature, picturesque lakes and clear mountain air;
- Favorable atmosphere of local places: experienced teachers will help studentsquickly and easily adapt to the new environment;
- Here you can learn several languages at once;
- It is believed that it is easiest to enter the educational institutions of Lausanne, Geneva and Neuchâtel: here you can apply immediately after school, subject to a high score and a certificate of knowledge of the French language. The universities of Lausanne do not require entrance examinations;
- Some Swiss universities provide students not only with living in a hostel, but also with food, books and even clothing (uniform);
- Here you can get one of the most prestigious diplomas in Europe and get an internship in a large company.
The educational system in Switzerland: the main educational levels and academic programs
The main principles are:
- development of individual abilities of students;
- creating an enabling environment for maintaining cognitive interest.
In the country, pre-school education is not included in the mandatory list of requirements, but most Swiss children go to kindergarten: here they master basic skills and engage in physical activity. Each institution has a gym and a swimming pool, where children spend a lot of time. The game form of education is predominant: all upbringing in the gardens is aimed at physical development, stable psychoemotional state and self-confidence of the preschool student.
Primary school starts for children 5-6 years. Primary school programs vary depending on the canton: there can be a load of 23 to 32 lessons per week, the study of foreign languages is emphasized.
In secondary school pupils study at the first stage (Secondaire I) 3-4 years, after which they must determine the path of their further education:
- Those who decided to prepare for admission to the university and passing the exams, begin to learn in high-intensity classes
- There are groups with a smaller, standard intensity
- Those students who need to pull up knowledge are engaged in a special class - they need to try very hard to go to classes with good academic performance
- You can completely leave the school and go to study at the gymnasium.
At the next level, Secondaire II, after 3-4 years of schooling, students receive a certificate of full secondary education.
Foreign students can go to Swiss schools for free, provided they have a high level of language skills. You can get an education in English in a private school for a fee.
When choosing a university, it is worth considering that in Switzerland 2 types of higher education institutions are open:
- In applied higher education you can get education in a narrow practical specialty;
- academic universities prepare specialists with broader theoretical knowledge.
The Swiss system of higher education has passed the procedure of adaptation to the Bologna system and now more universities offer international bachelor's and master's programs. Universities of Lausanne are very popular: it is believed that future lawyers, criminologists, psychologists, pharmacologists, theologians and biologists are studied at a high level. The economic faculty has won great fame.
Opportunities for foreign students in Lausanne
- Work during study: students can earn part time not more than 15 hours a week. Before you start working, you need to get a special permission from the administration - but, given a good performance, it's quite easy to get a permit;
- It is easier to go to an applied higher school than an academic one. To enter an academic university, foreign students often enter a professional college, a business school or an applied university;
- Among foreign students popular following directions: hotel and restaurant management, banking, finance and tourism;
- The language of instruction depends on the chosen area of the country: the teaching takes place in the official language of the canton. If a student has insufficient knowledge of a foreign language, he can attend special courses;
- Annually 5-10 scholarships (minimum 1600 francs) are allocated for foreign students who pass master's programs;
- Students can live in a hostel or rent an apartment. Students from abroad often live in private boarding schools or in host families.
What are the programs for foreign students in Lausanne
Average cost per year of education
French for students for the summer in Champittet College
11-17 years old
4,250 ₣ for 2 weeks
Middle classes in French at Institut Le Rosey
11-14 years old
IB Program at Lemania College Lausanne
From 16 years old
Undergraduate and graduate courses at the Ecole Hoteliere de Lausanne (Lausanne School of Hotel Management)
From 18 years old