When choosing a place of study for students over 14 years old who are striving to obtain a high-quality and prestigious education abroad, England is one of the best options. This is a country with high educational standards, where traditional and innovative pedagogical approaches are effectively combined, huge amounts of money are invested in the education sphere, and the reputation is very dear, after all education in England after the 8, 9,10 class for students of 14, 15, 16 years old has become a brand.
Features of study in public and private schools in England after grade 8-10
Those foreign students and their parents who have seriously thought about studying in England after the 8, 9, 10 class for students of 14,15,16 years should take into account the differences and peculiarities in the English system of education:
- Specificity of education imposes a rigid linkage of age to a certain level of education.
- In the period of 14-16 years, the students continue to study in schools with a view to obtaining secondary education. English and foreign students who study in the UK, during this period enter the GCSE course, which after passing the exams will receive a certificate of the General Certificate of Secondary Education. Duration: 2 years. For foreign students after grade 8, the duration of studies will be 2 years, and after grade 9, only 1 year (but to undergo a reduced one-year course it will be necessary to demonstrate a high command of the language). For students who apply for a two-year program, a small "credit" is given: it is believed that in 2 years the student will be able to significantly improve his knowledge of the English language.
- For admission to students from abroad it is necessary to pass entrance examinations to study on the course. Often apart from the difficulties with the language, foreign students are faced with the problems of passing a test in mathematics: in English schools students will be offered to solve up to 50 elementary tasks per hour.
- Chemists, physicists and biologists are beginning to study from the age of 7.
- This stage completes compulsory secondary education in England, and students during this period study a fairly wide range of subjects.
- One of the principles of English learning is the freedom of choice for students, therefore, in addition to 2 compulsory subjects, the student decides how many more subjects to study from the list listed above
At the end of the apprenticeship examinations are waiting for:
- compulsory subjects: English and mathematics;
- a foreign language to choose from;
- business course;
- the basics of accounting;
- Information Technology;
- foundations of art;
- English literature.
- The math exam is assessed on a scale: a basic level, intermediate and advanced. The results of the examination for the rest of the subjects are evaluated according to the AG system, where AC is the grades of a high level of knowledge, DG is a low.
- The success of the exam depends on all further education: only high school students with the highest scores will be able to continue their studies at the next stage and enter the top British schools and colleges.
Education in England after the 8, 9, 10 class for students 14, 15, 16 years old is not limited to the GCSE course only. After the successful completion of the GCSE course, the students will wait for one more educational level, which is not mandatory, but is recommended for those who are going to receive higher education. Here all the education is concentrated on preparing for studies in the university. This program, A-Level, is considered one of the most effective in the whole world: the knowledge that the guys receive is really deep and thorough and, in fact, the certificate of this course will become a pass-through ticket for admission to the university.
- Students over 16 years old can apply for the program;
- Duration: 2 years, there is a shortened version with a duration of 1 year;
- To enter the course you must provide a certificate of completion of the secondary compulsory stage, GCSE + for foreign students the certificate of passing the international IELTS exam is higher than 4.5 points;
- The first year is devoted to the study of 4-5 disciplines from the list. The list for selection includes 45 items, so for the correct selection you need to familiarize yourself with the modules and characteristics. In the second year, the students study 3-4 core subjects and take exams for them.
Many universities consider those who choose classical options: English, mathematics and history. Examples of necessary subjects for admission to certain specialties:
- for admission to the Faculty of Economics, management, accounting and finance usually choose the math of all variations and economics;
- for admission to the medical faculty, students stop at chemistry, biology and physics;
- architectural faculties examine certificates with passed exams in physics, mathematics and art.
The advantages of studying in schools in England for foreign students
- Because of the difference in education, secondary school education will be one of the best options to pull up the knowledge of a foreign student to the level of the English educational system.
- With the certificate of secondary education in England is much easier to enter the colleges and universities of the country.
- 14-16 years is a good age for acquaintance and adaptation with the English learning environment. The earlier the student begins to study in local schools, the better he will prepare for academic burdens in higher education institutions.
The best schools in the UK for study after the 8, 9, 10 grade for foreign students
- Abbey College Cambridge is one of the elite institutions located in Cambridge. Most of the students of the school continue their studies at the famous Cambridge University. Courses GCSE (14-16 years), A-Level (16-18) are here from 29,000 £ per year.
- Royal Russel School is the leading private boarding school in London, where the best teachers of the capital work, who strive to uncover and focus on developing the strong traits and abilities of each student. The cost of schooling will be from 11,125 £ per term.
- Sevenoaks School is a world-famous school in the county of Kent, which prides itself on its traditions and is distinguished by the spirit of freedom, attention to the education of versatile personalities. The cost of education will be from 11,493 pounds per term.
- Tasis the American school England is a popular school all over the world, with branches in many European countries and a consistently high ranking. The cost of education will be from 12,290 £ per trimester.