Traveling in Vienna, it is impossible to miss the magnificent Schönbrunn Palace - the residence of Austrian emperors with a long history. The palace is included in the UNESCO heritage list along with a magnificent park, statues, fountains, pseudo-Roman ruins and other objects. Schönbrunn attracts tourists from all over the world, strikes the imagination of even the most spoiled tourist, surprises with wealth and grandeur. The palace and park ensemble is located 5 kilometers from the center of Vienna, in the Hitzing district.
On the site of a modern building were buildings of the 14th century: the estate included a stable, a garden and a mill. It was called the Catterburg estate - in 1569 it passed into the possession of the Habsburgs, and from that time the rich history of the building and the surrounding luxury began:
- 1612 - Emperor Matvey, walking near the house, saw “beautiful springs”, which in Austrian sounds like “schöne brunnen”
- Emperor Ferdinand II and his wife chose the residence as a favorite place to go hunting
- Emperor Ferdinand II died, his wife settled on the estate and renamed it Schönbrunn
- 1683 - during the war, the Turks partially destroyed the palace
- 1696 - Emperor Leopold I hired an architect to restore the estate: the project was planned similar to the Palace of Versailles
- 1713 - completion of a large number of works, but the palace was not finally completed
- 1728 - Maria Theresa began to own the palace: she adored this place and turned it into the center of the palace and political life of Austria
- 1742-1743 - the palace was reconstructed, so today tourists see exactly the kind that the palace acquired in those two years; a theater was opened in one of the parts of the palace
- 1752 - Emperor Franz I created a zoo on the estate, which is the oldest in the world
- At the beginning of the 19th century, Napoleon visited the palace twice.
- 1848 - Emperor Franz Joseph became the owner of the palace: he loved this place and made it his main residence
- 1945 - part of the building was damaged during the military bombing
- 1992 - the palace was transferred to the Schönbrunn Culture company.
Tourists can visit 40 rooms and several rooms - the main ones are:
- The Great Hall "Rose": the main elements - images of Italian and Swiss landscapes, a portrait of Maria Theresa
- Mirror Hall - during the reign of Maria Theresa, ministerial meetings were held here
- Large Gallery - imperial audiences were held here: the hall has a length of 43 meters, a ceiling height of 10 meters
- Ceremonial Hall: paintings depicting military episodes hang on the walls, there is also a portrait of little Mozart
- Small Gallery - it was used for social events and concerts
- Roesselzimmer is a dining room used since the beginning of the 19th century.
Numerous rooms are known for various events: the owners of the palace lived here, meetings were held, important historical events were hosted. Tourists can see the luxurious imperial bedrooms and their offices, a dressing room with wooden upholstery. The main rooms are:
- Guards - here the monarch gave orders that influenced the history of the state
- Imperial cabinet - the wall clock and portrait of Empress Elizabeth are considered key elements
- Napoleon’s room - the commander stayed in it in 1805 and 1809
- Round Chinese office: Maria Theresa used it for secret meetings, and Franz Joseph as a private bedroom; the room has a small elevator for food delivery and a small staircase leading to the chancellor's bedroom.
Getting to the palace by public transport is very simple: there is a metro station, tram and bus stops called Schönbrunn, every Vienna citizen will tell you the route. Entrance fees for adults - 14.20 €, for children under 18 years - 10.50 €.
- Schönbrunn was able to visit ordinary citizens only in 1918, after the fall of the monarchy.
- More than 6 million tourists visit the palace, its park and other facilities of the complex every year.
- On June 4, 1961, Kennedy and Khrushchev met at the palace.
- There are 1441 rooms in the palace, 190 of which are rented to private tenants.
The object belongs to the palaces.