Humboldt University of Berlin
Description of Humboldt University of Berlin
- Year of foundation: 1810
- Location: Berlin, Germany
- Age: from 19 years old
- Type: State University
- Number of students: about 32,000
- Language learning: German, English.
Berlin University, named after the famous linguist Humboldt (Humboldt-Universität) is a world-renowned educational institution. One of the oldest in the country, it was founded in 1810 under the name "University of Berlin". The founder, as the name implies, was the linguist and reformer Wilhelm von Humboldt, whose followers laid the foundations and developed the theory of psycholinguistics. The scientist managed to create a unique learning model, which was later adopted by the leading universities of enlightened Europe. Its basis was to teach the theory in half with active research activities. Along with classical subjects, numerous new scientific directions in the field of natural sciences were developed here thanks to Wilhelm's brother Alexander von Humboldt. Starting with four faculties of two and a half hundred students, the university quickly grew - and by 1850 there was already a Museum of Natural History and a medical campus on campus.
The university has a rich history, in which there are sad pages: during the war several thousand books were burned here, hundreds of teachers were dismissed, some buildings were destroyed, which closed until the end of the war. The revival of Humboldt University of Berlin took place in 1946, but there was a split between liberal and communist-minded employees, which led to the emergence of two Berlin universities: the Free University of Berlin (Freie Universitat Berlin) and the Humboldt University of Berlin.
University profile - humanities and engineering sciences. Approximately 15% of students come to study from other countries, the same is the percentage of foreign teachers. Since the 70s, Humboldt University has restored cooperation with almost all universities in the capitals of Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Now this international university has liberal views and a rich infrastructure.
The language center provides instruction in German and other European and Oriental languages, including English. The cost of the course is about 40 €.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Humboldt University of Berlin
Accommodation, meals, prices
Three campuses, the main of which is located in the heart of the German capital, include a language school, a sports center, a huge number of laboratories, institutes and clinics, the Humboldt Museum of Natural History.
The university has three student residences in different parts of the city. In the dormitories of the eastern part of Berlin there are rooms with furniture and a shared bathroom. Those who are allowed finances can live in comfortable 1-room or 2-room rooms. The residence is built near the campus, next to the tram stop. There are rest rooms, a study area, a gymnasium and even a center for socializing and sharing time in the dormitory, where you can safely leave children under the supervision of their academic activities.
- Among the graduates of the university 29 Nobel Prize winners
- The university has a high scientific potential.
- Humboldt-Universität has entered into partnership agreements with 375 universities of the world, which opens up the prospect of internships, including at Princeton. General studies with partner universities receive serious funding
- Interdisciplinary Institute offers interdisciplinary programs: this is a unique experience among German universities
- Berlin is an ideal place for a student: living here will be cheaper than other European countries, plus students enjoy numerous benefits.
- The University Hospital Charité has hundreds of hospitals and institutes: this is a unique platform for university research.
- The lists of teachers at Humboldt-Universität over the years included Otto von Bismarck, Karl Marx, Albert Einstein, Max Planck, Arthur Schopenhauer.
Facilities and equipment at Humboldt University of Berlin
- The university library contains about 6,500,000 volumes of books, being one of the largest in Germany.
- Three student residences
- Medical clinic "Sharite"
- Research and Development Centers
- Museum of Natural History
- Multimedia center
- Sports Complex.
Admission dates and extra charges
The optimal period for submitting applications for admission to the Humboldt-Universität:
- Winter Term - from July 16 to September 15
- Summer Term - from January 16 to March 15.
Humboldt-Universität is a state university where you can study for free for anyone. Student fee is a little over 500 € per year. Payment for accommodation and the minimum associated costs are approximately as follows:
- Accommodation: about 200-500 € per month
- Meals: from 200 € per month
- Personal expenses: from 200 € per month
- Educational materials: from 30-50 €
- Mandatory medical insurance: from 20 €
- Consular fee for a student visa: from 35 €
- Flight Moscow-Berlin-Moscow: from 110 €
- Express mail services: from 25 €.
The university is ready to provide financial assistance to the most promising students in the form of scholarships and grants, which for the most part are intended for students in master's, doctoral, post-doctoral programs, but there are separate scholarship programs for undergraduate students.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
The certificate of the 11-year-old school is not a reason for admission to universities in Germany, so after graduation you will have to finish two courses of another university. The application is accepted through the Uni-assist system (a fee of 75 € is paid for its submission), you will also need a photo, a copy of your passport, a notarized translation of the education certificate, a scorecard. One of the indispensable conditions is medical insurance and, of course, the results of a language test not lower than C1 level. When entering a bilingual master level program, prepare the TOEFL (from 5.0) or IELTS ibt results (at least 87).
Examples of certificates:
German program (test and minimum result)
English program (test and minimum result)
In addition, you will need:
- teacher recommendations
- academic resume
- motivation letter
- copies of diplomas, awards, evidence of personal achievements.
Depending on the faculty conditions may vary.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Humboldt University of Berlin
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.