- Educational programs in Britain - types and features
- How to enter the universities of England - the selection criteria and conditions of study
- Tuition fees for foreign students in universities in Britain
The United Kingdom is one of the countries where thousands of students from countries around the world are eager to attend the educational purposes. This is not surprising, because students of local educational institutions in the process of learning receive not only a wonderful European education, but also additional prospects for successful career growth. The latter is possible just by getting the education that is recognized as an unchanging classical standard around the world. One of the most popular questions among foreign students remains the question "how to enroll in the universities of England?". In this article, SMAPSE experts will describe what educational options are provided for foreign students and what features the British educational system has.
Educational programs in Britain - types and features
Foreign students have several options for higher education in British educational institutions. Of course, a compulsory condition for admission to an English college or university is the existence of a document on secondary education. It will also be difficult for foreign students to enter universities in the UK without prior preparation. For a better immersion in the educational system, pre-university education is best conducted in the country itself.
Enroll in the universities of England, students will help the following educational programs:
- A-Level. This is a national British program, which is the final stage in obtaining a secondary education and at the same time a course of preparation for admission to higher education. Within 2 years, students from 15 years old study up to 4 subjects, which are related to their chosen specialization. After the first year of study, students take AS-level testing, and at the end of the second academic year - A-Level. After the completion of such a program, the student can enroll in British universities and universities throughout Europe and the world.
- International Baccalaureate (IB). This is an international educational course, whose certificates are quoted not only in educational institutions in Britain, but also in more than 50 countries around the world. The IB program is more developed than the A-level, although its duration is the same. At the international level, students study up to 6 disciplines, which include foreign and native languages, humanities and natural disciplines, as well as a core subject in a future university. In the final, students take exams in the subjects studied and write the final essay.
- Foundation. An educational course designed specifically for foreign students who plan to continue their education abroad. Here, the acquisition of knowledge of academic subjects is combined with the study of language. Such a program lasts for one year in one of several areas: business and economics, humanities and law, and so on. For an annual period of study, students receive basic knowledge on the course in accordance with the chosen profession. For admission, a foreign student must have a good level of English and have a high average score in the certificate of secondary education.
Foreign students can enter the first 2 programs after the 9th and 10th grades of the school in their native country, and on the Foundation course after 11th grade and receive a certificate. After passing any of the above programs, foreign students can enter the foreign college or university without any problems at the first stage of higher education (bachelor's degree). In some specialties (for example, from the field of medicine or law), it may be necessary to undergo additional introductory tests. This is true for famous British universities such as Oxford, Cambridge and others.
In addition to the first stage of higher education, foreign students in Britain are able to study at the second stage of higher education - that is, in a magistracy. Only those candidates who already have a bachelor's degree, as well as a high level of English (IELTS 6.5-7.5 or TOEFL 90-110) are accepted here. For foreign students who want to obtain a master's degree in a British university, there are also educational programs:
- Pre-Masters. The course is focused on improving academic English, covering various specialties. The duration of study varies - from 1 to 3 trimesters, depending on the level. Suitable for those who at the time of admission to the program has a minimum level of IELTS 4,5.
- Graduate Certificate / Diploma. The course of preparation for entering a university with a similar program. The difference is that foreign students can get to such programs, whose level of English is IELTS 5.5 and higher. The educational period for the certification program will be 9 months.
How to enter the universities of England - the selection criteria and conditions of study
The British system of higher education is represented by several structures: it includes not only universities, but also colleges and various institutions. One of the key requirements in any educational institution abroad is confident knowledge of the English language, the level of knowledge, as was said earlier, is supported by the passage of IELTS testing.
The next mandatory item in the list of documents for applying to British educational institutions is an international certificate - this is either GCSE or the document A-levels, indicating the receipt of secondary education by foreign and local students. At the same time, let's not forget that each of the scientific institutions can ask for their package of documents. However, these 2 items are mandatory in any case.
Submission of documentation for enrollment in higher education institutions of Great Britain (and other European countries) passes through a specialized reception service - UCAS (The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). The period for sending documents usually starts in September and lasts until mid-October. Simultaneously, for educational programs in Britain, foreign students can apply to 5-6 educational institutions. In addition, the more prestigious and elite higher education institution, the more requirements it brings to applicants. So, young people who are striving to get to Oxford or Cambridge, should be ready to personally visit these universities to send their application and undergo additional tests (interview or entrance examinations).
SMAPSE experts also recommend that foreign applicants pay special attention to the application deadline: the best approach is to prepare everything in advance, because in case of violation of deadlines, the future student will probably have to pay a fine. In some cases, the violation of the filing period is so strictly monitored that its violators can offer to try their luck in the next year.
When you have the necessary documents or you know how to quickly make them, then you can proceed with the following questions: choose a specialization and a university. Studying both topics involves a lot of data and will take time, so parents have to do an impressive job before a suitable university is found. However, SMAPSE experts note that regardless of the priority for the student in the UK, there are enough educational institutions, both universities and colleges, where you can get a diploma in the cherished profession.
Tuition fees for foreign students in universities in Britain
The price range of higher education in the UK is quite wide, but at the same time the country is considered one of the most expensive not only among European countries, but also in countries around the world. So, the price of annual studying in a British higher educational institution for foreign students will be from 10,000 £ to 20,000 £. In the most prestigious universities in demanded specialties, such as medicine, education can exceed the mark of 20,000 £. Additional points of expenditure each month will be: accommodation (from 500 to 1,500 £), meals (from 200 to 500 £), as well as transportation costs around 70-100 £.