Mon-Fri 8-17, Sat-Sun 10-16
(UK time)
  • Services
    • Services and prices
    • Immigration and citizenship
    • Scholarships
    • Tutoring and preparation for schools, universities abroad
  • Information
  • Partnership
    • Group travel
    • For teachers
    • Terms of partnership (for agents)
    • Instructions (for agents)
    • FAQ (for agents)
    • For schools
    • Educational fairs
    • Advertising
  • Contacts
2021-12-27 17:38:58

How can a student stay in Europe after graduation?

How can a student stay in Europe after graduation?

Students who are lucky enough to study abroad often dream of moving there for permanent residence. It is generally accepted that this is difficult to implement, but in reality this is not the case. Of course, many countries do not provide enough opportunities to find a job and live: in Britain there is no procedure that would allow university graduates to stay in the country for more than 2 years. Such a problem exists in Belgium and Switzerland: a student has a chance to stay, provided that he can find a job, and earnings should be high. In Poland and the Czech Republic, graduates also face this problem, but it is much easier to find a job there than in other countries.

What should graduates do in order to stay in their beloved country in the future?

This issue is very acute for students who have not yet graduated from the university. In the article, we will look at examples of young people who studied in foreign educational institutions at the bachelor's and master's degrees - and ways to stay in the country where they studied.

Study in Germany

After receiving a diploma, graduates of German universities are given a one-year period to find a job. There is also an alternative - the ability to open an individual entrepreneur.

In fact, it is not easy to implement the plan, since this will require a special visa. You can try to open your own business, but this will require not only a visa, but also a considerable investment. The country can be safely included in the list of states where it is necessary to graduate from a higher educational institution for direct emigration to the country.

Study in France

In France, things are different: here you have 1 year for official employment after graduation, there is no alternative. Also in the country there is an opportunity to get a master's degree, after which you will get the opportunity to stay in the country for another year. But there may be problems with the language. The fact is that in educational institutions of France there are a small number of programs that are available in English. Most of them are in French, and their level is quite high, for this reason the level of your French should be decent.

If you did not manage to graduate from a French educational institution, you have the right to issue a work contract for a special "Blue Card" with a salary of 52 thousand euros per year, and then you can stay in France for the entire period of work. However, it is unlikely that it will be possible to get a job without sufficient experience.

Study in Spain

Spain offers more opportunities. It also gives a whole year to find a job after graduation, but, in addition, you can do an internship after you finish your studies. Or, as in Germany, there is an opportunity to become an individual entrepreneur.

In addition to a large list of opportunities that students can get, there are separate programs for migrants. The most striking example is the residency program: it gives you the right to obtain a residence permit if you have been legally in the country for 3 years. In this case, it does not matter whether you have completed your studies in Spain or not.

Study in Italy

This country also gives its graduates the opportunity to choose a suitable job or open their own individual entrepreneur during the year. Many programs students can take advantage of even before graduation. And if you come on a student visa, the state provides you with a residence permit for the period of study at the university and for another 2 years after. Extending a residence permit in Italy is quite simple, you just need to pass at least one exam once a year.

Study in Greece

In Greece, there is no prospect of an annual job search after graduation from an educational organization. From this it follows that students can either start looking for a job while studying at the university and find a job immediately after receiving a diploma, or stay to live in Greece under the residency program after 7 years of legal stay in the country. But after 12 years of permanent residence, you can obtain citizenship by submitting documents, regardless of whether you have a job.

Study in Austria

Austria provides a year to look for a job in your specialty. The opportunity to settle in the country without obtaining a diploma is provided only when applying for an employment contract under the same "Blue Card", as in many other countries with a similar approach to emigration.

The southern countries of Europe provide much more opportunities for study, work and living in general. But the northern countries more strictly control the process of admission to higher education institutions.

All articles
Your comment / review / question
There are no comments here yet
Your comment / review
If you have a question, write it, we will try to answer
* - Field is mandatory
Egor Eremeev
Current material has been prepared by Egor Eremeev
Education: Westminster University (Business & Management), London.
Egor studied and lived in the UK for 8 years and graduated from the university of Westminster. He is currently the co-founder and the director of business development at Smapse Education and personally visits foreign schools and universities, interviews students studying in those institutions.
Callback Online consultant
Напишите нам, мы онлайн!