Budapest Business School BBS
Description of Budapest Business School BBS
- Location: Budapest, Hungary
- Year of foundation: 2000
- Language of instruction: English, French, Hungarian, German
- Number of students: more than 18 000
- Type of educaion: mixed.
Budapest Business School (BBS) is a private institution that is the best in business education in Hungary. Its history begins long before the opening of the current BBS. In 1857, the Commercial Academy of Pest was founded, the oldest educational institution in the business sector in Austria-Hungary. It was taught in German. After the merger of the cities of Buda and Pest, the name of the university was changed to the Budapest Commercial Academy. In the following decades, there were several more name changes, eventually - in 2000 - the institution received its current one.
Now the institution teaches bachelor's, master's, doctoral programs in English, French, German and Hungarian.
More than 55% of the teaching staff have doctoral degrees in various fields. Some professors are members of the scientific committees of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, the Conference of Rectors of the country.
More than 18,000 students are educated at three faculties:
- Commerce, hospitality, tourism
- International Management, Business
- Finance, accounting.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Budapest Business School BBS
Accommodation, meals, prices
Residential buildings are distributed among the faculties.
The dormitory of the Faculty of Commerce, Hospitality and Tourism is located in a quiet area. The building has prepared places for 300 students: double, quadruple rooms, a medical office, computer classes, sports halls. Kitchens, showers and toilets are located on every two floors. All rooms have wired internet connection, WiFi.
Monthly cost per person:
- Room for rent – 26€
- Compensation for the cost of the hostel for those who pay for their own studies is 57 €.
- Room rental for students receiving a state scholarship – 48€
- Rent a room for students studying on a paid basis - 79 €.
The dormitory of the Faculty of Finance, Accounting is located in the heart of Zuglo on Bagolivar Street. It is equipped with 136 2-3-bed rooms, laundry rooms, gyms. The entire living area is covered with a WiFi network, kitchens, toilets and shower rooms are located on the floors.
Price per month of accommodation depending on the availability of state scholarships:
- Triple rooms: from 25 to 57€
- Double rooms: from 32 to 64€.
The residential complex of the Faculty of International Management and Business is located in the center of Budapest in the middle of the green zone. From the building you can easily reach supermarkets, banks, hospitals, educational buildings, local attractions. The dormitory has prepared rooms for one or more students, as well as a medical center.
The cost of accommodation, taking into account the support of scholarships:
- Scholarships of Hungary, EU states: from 26 to 48€
- Self-financing of Hungarian and EU citizens: from 57 to 79€
- International students: from 93 to 138€.
Students can eat in school canteens and student kitchens, where it is allowed to prepare their own meals and drinks.
Activities Budapest Business School BBS
In the BBS dormitories, great attention is paid to sports activities, cultural events. On the territories of the buildings such traditions as:
- "Camp for freshmen" is the best time to get acquainted with future classmates, to plunge into student life. Each new student is invited to take part in one of the camps for first-year students of the faculty.
- "Freshman Ball" is a long-standing tradition in all faculties: dances, elegant evening dresses, live music.
- Manifest is a cultural mini-festival that brings together students and staff, revealing the world of Hungarian culture. Spectators are waiting for theatrical performances, podium shows, master classes, an exhibition of student works.
- Home matches of national teams of team sports, Spartakiads, competitions in athletics, water polo and much more.
The business school itself has more than 25 student organizations, most of which are related to economics and business. Students are engaged in publishing magazines and newspapers, conduct interviews in the role of journalists, take photos and videos of student life.
One of the regular events is BBS Day, the celebration of which includes concerts, culinary competitions, masquerades, music festivals.
Faculty colleges select groups of students who represent the institution in 10 international and 30-40 national scientific competitions per year.
The main sports activities are:
- Different types of wrestling
- Water polo
Xchange Group is a student organization that organizes excursions, parties, events, helps in administrative matters. Trips outside of Budapest are ideal for getting to know other international students, the country, the culture better.
- The Faculty of Finance, Accounting ranks first in the list of popular university faculties in Hungary, the remaining two faculties are in the TOP-10.
- Cooperation with more than 200 universities from 50 countries on five continents.
- Award for the quality of higher education.
- Business School No. 1 in Hungary, No. 33 in Europe, No. 66 in the world according to Webometrics.
- The second place in the value of diplomas in the field of business.
- More than 60 research groups of various specialties.
Facilities and equipment at Budapest Business School BBS
Each faculty is located on a separate campus in Budapest. On these territories are built:
- Classrooms for lectures, master classes
- Specialized laboratories with the necessary equipment
- Libraries specialized for faculties with reading rooms
- Sports, gyms
- Outdoor stadium with playgrounds
- Prayer rooms for different religions
- Assembly halls for events
- Multifunctional student center with administrative offices that provide assistance in matters of accommodation, obtaining a visa, etc.
Some walls of the school buildings are landscaped, courtyards, roofs and terraces are planted with various types of plants.
BBS has three specialized colleges related to each faculty: in them student organizations hold meetings, organize professional education.
Admission dates and extra charges
The length of the academic year, its beginning and the number of classes depend on the chosen program and degree. Basically, the year of study contains two semesters: spring and autumn. Exams are held in each discipline separately, taking into account its start. Weekends are determined by the dean's office - a student can leave for five holidays, take 1-3 additional days off. In the summer, internships are held, students can work.
- Fee for learning difficulties (retake of the exam, re-registration of the subject, exceeding the duration of study, etc.)
- Accommodation, meals
- Medical Care
- Student organizations
- Books, consumables.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
To enter the BBS, the applicant will need:
- Copies of School Leaving Certificate/Bachelor's Degree
- Transcripts of completed courses
- Personal documents: passport, visa or residence permit, health insurance, etc.
- Language test certificates in English, German, French or Hungarian.
Entrance tests are held in some specialties.
You can apply on the official website on the dates:
- for EU citizens: until August 1
- for citizens of other countries: until June 30.
Scholarships Budapest Business School BBS
BBS is part of the Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship program: this state program offers a 100% scholarship to talented students who are successful in teaching and science.
Other scholarship programs:
- Institutional scholarships – support for sports activities
- Graduation scholarship – for students from low-income families
- Student loans, credits
- Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship for Students of Hungarian Language Programs
- Scholarship payments for Christian youth
- Erasmus+ for foreign students arriving on an exchange basis.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Budapest Business School BBS
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.