The US education system is built in such a way that universities are interested in employing their graduates. Therefore, each university is very proud of its partners - corporations and companies that accept current students for internships and then employ them.
The location of the university is important here, since universities in New York, Boston and Washington will have more options for internships and further employment than in St. Louis or Illinois, but do not forget about the quality of the companies. That is, if you want to be an engineer, it is not necessary to choose universities in New York - it is better to consider the states of Oregon or South Florida, where the percentage of employment in this area is much higher. If you want to become an insurance agent, then you will not find a better state than Illinois, etc. It is important to consult with an agent about what goals you are pursuing and where you want to be after graduation.
To choose the right university, you need to look at the faculties that it offers, at the ranking of these particular faculties and at what companies the university works with. Tuition fees will vary depending on the location and faculty.
Remember that due to the difference in education systems (in the United States, schoolchildren study up to grade 12), Russian schoolchildren cannot enter the first year of universities right after our school.
There are two ways of admission:
- To pass the national entrance exam, which will be time consuming for a Russian, the cost of a special tutor for this and understanding the structure of tasks, since we do not study using this system.
- Apply for the preparatory year at the chosen university. Before basic undergraduate studies, universities in America conduct a Pathway preparatory program (International Year One) for international students. It lasts a year and counts as the first course.
According to the program, students from different countries are "taught to learn" according to a new education system for them, they are introduced to the course of where to go if something happens, how to send homework. How to defend projects, the course also includes academic English classes and some general introductory subjects to the chosen program.
The Pathway program is an almost 100% guarantee of admission to the undergraduate program of the university. Naturally, it is necessary to show high motivation and good academic performance there. After this program, the student progresses immediately to the second year of the university.
So, the approximate cost of studying at some universities in the country for a year with accommodation and meals, insurance and study materials:
- Oregon State University - from $ 50,000
- Arizona State University - from $ 43,000
- Illinois State University - from $ 50,000
- University of South Florida - from $ 49,000
- Pace University - from $ 55,000.