The American International School in Salzburg
Description of The American International School in Salzburg
- Location: Austria, Salzburg
- Age of students: 12 - 19 years old
- Educational programs: Advanced Placement courses, university preparation program, English courses
- Number of students: 125
- Foundation year: 1976
- Type of education: mixed
- Type of accommodation: boarding house, from 12 years old
- Cost of studying: from 10 500 euros for a term (including residence and full board)
- Ranking: one of the best American schools in Austria
The American International School in Salzburg is a private American school located at the foot of the Alps in the precinct of Salzburg. It has been operating in Austria since 1976. The school implements traditional American educational model, which is characterized by high intensity of education, practical orientation.
The school accepts students from 12 years old and older. Teaching is conducted in English. Highly skilled teachers from Canada and the USA work at the Salzburg School. The International School offers students several educational programs. Foreign students are accepted into:
- Secondary school (grades 7-8)
- Senior (9-12 grades)
- Postgraduate study (13th grade, preparatory pre-university course).
Students study English, mathematics, sciences (biology, physics, chemistry), German, social sciences. Also there are electives and other disciplines to choose from. Students can learn drama, fine art, design, etc. Foreign students are given an opportunity to additionally study English (optional, after lessons).
Upon completion of schooling, students are issued a certificate (diploma) AR, a classic American certificate of secondary education. Successful passing of examinations in the Advanced Placement program opens doors of best universities of the world. Those who wish to deepen their knowledge of core subjects, prepare for studying in the university, postgraduate study is offered. The program provides studying an individual program with an emphasis on the disciplines of a specific academic direction.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in The American International School in Salzburg
Accommodation, meals, prices
Students are offered accommodation in a residence on campus. Students live in 2-3-bed rooms with private facilities. Also in the residence there are single rooms for high school students. In general, there are a kitchen, rest rooms, laundry.
Meals in the school are organized according to full board scheme. The dining room offers a wide choice of dishes of European and American cuisine. On an individual basis, it is possible to organize a vegetarian diet.
Subject list: Art, biology, chemistry, design, drama, maths, physics
- The American International School in Salzburg is accredited by Austrian Ministry of Education, authoritative profile associations of Europe and the USA. The school is distinguished by the high quality of educational services, the level of academic preparation of students. Graduates enter leading universities in Europe and the world.
- The school is conveniently located. From the academic buildings it takes no more than 10 minutes drive to the central part of Salzburg, rich in historical sights and the famous developed infrastructure.
- Rich extracurricular program, which includes entertaining, cognitive (excursions to museums, galleries, historical places, the most interesting cities in Austria), sports events. The latter are held on the basis of the sports complexes of the University of Salzburg.
- The school pays special attention to the physical development of students. In summer, various activities on the nature are offered: walking, hiking, biking. In winter, the services of schoolchildren are one of the best trails for skiing and snowboarding.
- Ratio of teachers and students is 1: 6. Each student receives necessary amount of individual attention.
Facilities and equipment at The American International School in Salzburg
The campus covers an area of 3 hectares. It includes 3 buildings (one of them was built in the XVIII century). In the main building there are classrooms with interactive technology and computer equipment, a library, a dining room, several rest rooms. Two buildings represent the housing stock of the school. Boys and girls are provided with separate residences.
Entertaining, sports infrastructure is located at the University of Salzburg. Here, students are offered sports and Olympic-level facilities, fitness halls, dance classes, climbing sections.
Admission dates and extra charges
- Contribution to the development of the school (one-time) 2500 euros;
- Deposit (for sports events, pocket money, laundry services, travelling).
- Registration fee (for a programme/course) 2500 EUR
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about The American International School in Salzburg
We chose a school for a long time, but now, at the end of the first year, we are happy with everything here, we did not regret the choice at all. There is a well-groomed territory, and there are own stadiums and treadmills, and kindergartens, and school buildings for any classes - from language classes (here listening equipment, video screens and projectors, children learn the language with live examples) to modeling studios, music, dancing. Education turns out to be balanced: if in Russia you took your child to classes after classes, then here everything is needed right at school. It is convenient (no need to go anywhere, children live right there on the territory) and more profitable (everything is included in the total cost for the year).
We quickly accepted the documents, there was no red tape, a very friendly selection committee (here again, thanks to Sofia for helping to collect and organize everything).
They look after the children: you can contact the tutor as you want and ask how the child is in all areas. We receive study reports, recommendations from teachers, photographs from various events.
A separate plus for us is the European location: we can visit a child twice a year without any problems (in the USA or Canada it would be harder, of course). Well, linguistic diversity is only a bonus: I think that after graduation my son will speak absolutely fluent in both English and German.
Thank you very much again! We were so worried before enrollment, and thanks to you everything went better than ever! Professionals!
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.