- Preparation programs for admission to universities in Canada
- Studies in Canadian universities for foreign students: admission conditions and tuition fees
Canadian educational system occupies one of the leading positions (3rd place) in the world list. There are excellent conditions for obtaining education at different levels - for foreign children, schoolchildren, teenagers and students. Therefore, it is not surprising that several thousand students are interested in how to prepare and enter the universities in Canada every year. Canada is one of those states where the educational sphere receives excellent funding and support, which is why the students are surrounded by truly excellent conditions: modern technical equipment, a diploma that is accepted all over the world, and that's not all! Getting a secondary and higher education in Canada is a great start for a foreign student with the prospect of getting a dream profession and achieving success in building a career. In addition, Canada has not one state language, but two - English and French - and education is possible on any of them.
Preparation programs for admission to universities in Canada
Most educational institutions in this country have international status, therefore the doors of local institutions are always open to foreign students. It is also not a secret that it is rather difficult to enroll in a high school abroad just after the completion of a secondary school - this is due to the difference in educational systems in different countries.
On the territory of Canada, the following courses of preparation for the University are available to local and foreign students:
- The University Foundation Program is the Canadian version of the British foundation program. Here the key conditions for enrollment for students are age (from 17 years) and the availability of secondary education, so this program is suitable for children after the 11th grade of the national school or for students of the first courses. The duration is one academic year, during which young people improve their English or French language skills, as well as raise the level of knowledge in their academic disciplines.
- International Foundation Program (IEP), one of the versions of the University Foundation Program. IEP preparatory course is actively applied in one of the leading and prestigious Canadian universities - the University of Toronto. Programs directly at the higher school have their advantages: they significantly increase the chances of foreign or local students to get to this university. The program of the course includes the study of English on an intensive plan plus academic subjects that are profiling for the chosen specialty students. Also, only on the IEP course foreign students will feel the unique atmosphere of students in one of the leading universities in the country.
- EAP (English Academic Pathway Program). The educational course is organized specially for foreign entrants by the network of international language colleges SEC. The advantage of networked education institutions is partnerships with many colleges and universities in Canada. What's more important, students can get to the EAP program without passing the traditional language tests (TOEFL or IELTS). Participation in the program also entitles foreign students, teenagers after 10 and 11 classes, students to get a place in one of thirteen partner universities and colleges.
- NAPS Pre-Masters academic Pathway program. The network of educational centers SEC offers foreign students in addition to preparing for (undergraduate) preparation for the second stage - it is a question of magistracy or postgraduate programs. Education takes 12 weeks and takes place in the specialized language schools - SEC Toronto and SEC Vancouver. Only students with a Bachelor's degree and a high level of proficiency in a foreign language (English or French by choice) are admitted to the course.
- High School Year. This is a program for teenagers and schoolchildren who are still in the 9th, 10th or 11th grade. Within the framework of the course, young students will study about ten subjects, three of which will be devoted to academic English, and the rest - the standard subjects of the secondary school program. After studying at the High School Year course, foreign students will receive a Canadian document on secondary education, which gives them the right to enter the University of Canada on a par with local residents.
- Pre-Degree Certificate. The program is organized by the International Linguistic Academy ILAC - the course provides students with all the necessary knowledge to enroll in a bachelor's program at a Canadian university. The Pre-Degree Certificate is aimed at increasing the level of proficiency in English among entrants and giving them the necessary academic basis for admission and further education in higher education. After the completion of the program, students will also enter the university without entrance tests and language tests.
Studies in Canadian universities for foreign students: admission conditions and tuition fees
Admission to universities in Canada may differ depending on the province in which the university or college is located. In general, the following requirements apply to the applicants:
- Age from 18 years old
- Online application on the website of the educational institution
- High school diploma
- Results of language tests (for those who study English - TOEFL, IELTS or CAE, DALF)
- Letters from teachers from the previous place of study
- Student Motivation Letter
- Documentary evidence of the possibility to pay for training for at least one academic year (bank statement).
In addition, in some universities admission committees supplement this list with other requirements, starting from internal exams and finishing with a personal interview with the candidate. For creative directions it is almost always necessary to prepare a portfolio.
Applications for admission to universities and colleges are accepted in most public and private educational institutions more than once a year, and as many as three. This condition, of course, slightly reduces the risk of receiving a refusal to enroll, but here too it will not hurt to prepare well in advance - to start preparing a package of documents for foreign students is recommended at least 10-12 months before the proposed school year. Studies at the University of Canada can also begin not only in September, but also in January. We also draw your attention to the fact that in order to increase the likelihood of spending the next few years at a foreign university, we recommend sending applications not to one but to several educational institutions.
As for the issues of financial costs for obtaining higher education in Canada, then the cost of studying at the Bachelor's degree will be about 15,000-20,000 Canadian dollars. However, we note that the price largely depends on the location of the school - for example, in Montreal, Vancouver or Toronto, the total cost of training for a foreign student will be more expensive than if you choose smaller cities. Leading and prestigious Canadian universities will require from a foreign student annual costs of more than 25,000 Canadian dollars. However, do not forget that you can get a bachelor's degree in Canada not only at the university, but also in college - studies in this type of institution will be much cheaper.
In addition, Canada is known for its loyalty to students: for this category of population in the country there are various benefits and bonuses - transportation, food, accommodation, visiting public places and so on. At universities in Canada there is a wonderful scholarship program that allows you to get financial support not only for local students, but also for foreign students.