Canterbury has recently been named one of UK most vibrant cities. This special place, which has preserved an ancient heritage, attracts millions of people from all over the world every year. The population is a unique mix of students, locals and tourists, giving the city a modern and dynamic look.
Canterbury is a historic English city, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is located in the heart of Canterbury, Kent County, England, on the Stor River.
The city's cathedral became a center of pilgrimage after the martyrdom of Thomas Becket in 1170, although it was already a favorite pilgrimage site after the assassination of Saint Alphege by the people of King Canute in 1012. The pilgrims' journey to the Becket Shrine served as a narrative framework for Jeffrey Chaucer's classic The Canterbury Tales (14th century).
Canterbury is a popular tourist destination, consistently one of the most visited cities in the United Kingdom: the city's economy relies heavily on tourism. Many students study here thanks to the University of Kent, Christ Church University of Canterbury, the University of the Creative Arts, the University of Canterbury campus of the American University of Girne.
Canterbury remains a small town with its inherent historic hinterland charm and rural setting.
Primary and secondary schools
Independent secondary schools include Kent College, St Edmund's School and England 's oldest school, King's School , one of the top public schools in the United Kingdom, regularly ranking in the top 10 most expensive schools. The city's high schools are Barton Court Grammar School, Simon Langton Grammar School for Boys, and Simon Langton Grammar School for Girls. Public high schools: Canterbury High School , St Anselm's Catholic School, and the Archbishop's School of the Church of England .
List of the best schools in Canterbury:
- King's School Canterbury was founded in 597: it is one of the oldest boarding schools in the UK. Today, about 800 boys and girls 13-18 years old study here, and the Junior King's Preparatory School is part of it. King's School is a campus adjacent to the city's main cathedral, St. Augustine's Abbey. Students at The King's School Canterbury deliver academic excellence, well above the national average.
- St. Edmund's School Canterbury is a private boarding school for boys and girls from 3 to 18 years old. Founded over 100 years ago, today it occupies an area of 25 hectares with an old main building, educational buildings, residences, sports spaces; functional scientific laboratories and a music school work here.
- Dover College unites institutions of 4 levels: kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools. Foreign students enter full board from the age of 11 - they have access to middle class programs, the GCSE course and the Sixth Form (A-level program); students from abroad make up over 70% of all students.
- Kent College Canterbury demonstrates excellent academic results for pupils: students take A-level exams with an A * -B score, IB results are 7 points higher than the regional average, about 10% of school graduates go to Oxbridge.
- CATS College Canterbury is an international high school located in the heart of the historic city. Within walking distance from the college are sports centers, architectural landmarks, shops, English coffee houses.
Higher education in Canterbury
Three universities and Canterbury College make Canterbury one of the UK's largest student cities. The University of Kent is the largest conference venue in the South East of England. Students are an important part of the local population: about 8000 people work full-time, students support local community, volunteer services. For example, Christ Church University of Canterbury has thousands of nurses, social workers; teachers and police officers worked in health care, education, law enforcement while studying at the university.
Universities of Canterbury
- The University of Kent is one of the best universities in the UK , earning the highest ranking in the UK Government's Excellence System. The university has earned a worldwide reputation for outstanding achievement: three subject areas studied at the university are in the top 100 in the world, and another 8 are in the top 200. The university offers students an exceptional education, world-leading research, stunning study locations and a superb student life experience. The university offers a wide range of basic, undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, exciting study abroad, industry job opportunities, summer schools, and a generous scholarship fund including awards for academic, musical and athletic achievement.
- Canterbury Christ Church University is the largest university in Kent County, central England. The state university offers training programs for specialists in the field of health care, social services, and law enforcement. In it, you can take bachelor's programs, postgraduate courses, improve your qualifications.
- University for the Creative Arts was founded in the Victorian era when independent art and design colleges opened their doors. Each college located in Canterbury, Epsom, Guildford, Farnham, Maidstone, Rochester has set itself the task of serving the people of the local community, offering arts education regardless of social status. Hundreds of courses covering all kinds of creative specialties help to nurture outstanding graduates, designers, artists. The University for the Creative Arts is a center for learning and discovery whose research excellence is recognized nationally and globally.