Choreography studies in the UK cover a wide range of styles, from ballet to street dance. Courses at leading universities, colleges, and performing arts schools prepare students for a career as a professional dancer or choreographer. Students study several dance styles, develop singing, acting skills. College choreography courses have a wide range of applications, including dance instruction, dance for fitness, dance history, choreography, art management, and the commercial application of dance skills.
Training includes practical and academic classes, active communication within the dance community, performances.
Requirements for applicants
To enroll in a choreography course at leading British universities, you need:
- A-level certificate (or equivalent), advanced disciplines: English literature, performing arts.
- Personal statement.
- Information about work experience.
During the entrance examinations, applicants are interviewed, auditioned, and take entrance examinations.
The personal statement is the main part of the application for the choreography program.
Choreography programs develop skills that are valued by all employers:
- Presentation and communication skills for promotion, demonstration of abilities
- Ability to work independently
- Teamwork skills, cooperation
- Readiness for creative cooperation, which is important when working on productions with other dancers, choreographers
- Ability to focus
- Original thinking
- Time management, organizational skills
- Creativity, flexibility
- Analytical, critical and research skills
- Marketing skills, writing
- The pursuit of excellence
What do choreography graduates do?
One fifth (21%) of graduates work as dancers, choreographers. Just over half (51%) work full-time 15 months after graduation.
Further education for graduate choreography programs
- Popular further education options for dance graduates include postgraduate studies in specialized fields: choreographic practice, art management, digital art, social dance.
- Another option is to enroll in a master's degree in dance to deepen your knowledge, interest in a specific subject.
- One of the areas of study is to continue training in the field of dance science, physiotherapy, osteopathy, to obtain qualifications in the field of professional fitness, health care (for example, personal training).
Choreography graduate vacancies:
- Psychotherapist (dance therapy)
- Personal trainer
- Stage director of theatrical performances
- Corporate Events Manager
- Additional education teacher
- High school teacher
- Music producer
- Sports therapist
- Talent agent.
Best Choreography Study Programs in the UK
Dance BA (Hons) in University of Gloucestershire
The University of Gloucestershire Choreography Program allows you to explore, develop creative and performing skills while acquiring practical techniques, knowledge of various forms of dance, and their connection with other arts. Students master the basic dance techniques, additional technical classes, the basics of ballet, modern, jazz, tap dance, modern dance, somatic practices. Students can tailor their studies to suit their interests, career ambitions, whether it be performance, teaching, choreography, or a combination of both. Graduates gain experience in a variety of settings, participating in workshops with organizations such as Motionhouse, Ace Dance Company, Barbara Segal (Baroque Dance), The Roses, and The Everyman Theater. Drawing on the experience of the academic team, young people study at the purpose-built Performing Arts Center, which includes dance studios with a full range of lighting fixtures and a multimedia complex.
Top 8 Choreography Programs in the UK
- University of Roehampton - Choreography (MFA), Choreography and Performance (MRes)
- University of Derby - Dance and Choreography (MA)
- Leeds Beckett University - MA Choreography
- University of Lincoln - MA Choreography and Performance Practices
- Falmouth University - Dance and Choreography BA (Hons)
- University of Bedfordshire - Dance Performance and Choreography MA
- Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance - MA Choreography, MFA Choreography
- University of Salford - MA Choreography and Professional Practices.