Higher education abroad, namely in America, is an excellent chance for a foreign student to get a quality education and build a successful career at home or abroad. The United States is the second most popular country for studying English in the world, therefore tens of thousands of students come here every year to study. In addition to the huge number of educational institutions across the country, the American education system offers many options for foreign students in preparation for entering universities in America.
Admission to Universities of the USA: Preparation and Programs
As you know, you can not become a student of an American higher education institution right after the school - studying at a university requires a certain level of academic knowledge. Fortunately, the program of pre-university preparation helps to fill the missing gap. They are designed for both local students and foreign students - the last such courses help to effectively and quickly change from the domestic educational structure to a foreign one.
In the United States, there are several types of pre-university preparatory programs, some of which are suitable for those who are still in school, and the rest are those who have already graduated:
- School preparation programs. Let's start with the courses for students of secondary educational institutions. First, a foreign student can be transferred to an American school after grade 9: after completing a high school diploma program in the American High School Diploma. With such a document, you can safely apply to a higher education institution. Secondly, private American schools also offer students the Advanced Placement (AP) course, which will suit students from 10-11 grades. At AP students for a period of 1-2 years will study a number of disciplines under a program similar to the first year of the university. In addition, during the preparatory course, foreign students will be able to significantly improve the level of English language proficiency, which means that they will be able to enter the University of the United States without hindrance.
- Pathway program. American program of preparation for the university, designed specifically for foreign students. Here students are teached in an American college for one year, after which they can transfer immediately to the second year of the university, which is a partner of the college. This is a convenient format for teaching, thanks to which the student will not only be well prepared for studies, but also guaranteed to be among the students of the American University.
- The program at the university. In addition to schools and colleges, you can prepare for entering the University of America directly on the territory of the university. Such courses are offered to local as well as foreign students by almost all institutions. After completing such a program, students can enter the college or university without additional tests to the bachelor's program.
Participation in some programs gives students an additional advantage in the form of lack of additional entrance tests. However, if the student arrives right after leaving school, then he should be prepared for the main entrance tests, which are conducted by all American universities. It is a question of language testing ( TOEFL ) and examination of SAT (or SAT I) academic subjects. In addition, if the chosen specialization is related to creative professions, the applicant may need a portfolio for admission. Also, some admission commissions conduct personal interviews with each candidate.
Admission to Universities in the USA: enrollment, education, tuition fees
To ensure that the process of choosing a higher education institution in America, and then subsequent admission to it was comfortable and without delay, SMAPSE experts recommend that parents and students follow a certain pattern of action:
- Choose a specialty. When looking for answers to some of the most important questions for a future student, consider whether a particular profession will be in demand by the time the diploma is awarded? Will it be possible to find work with such a specialization abroad or at the student's home country? Today some specialties (for example, jurisprudence) have an oversupply of staff, which makes it difficult to find work. Therefore, you can always give preference to those areas that will always be relevant, or new professions with a good prospect of development.
- Choose an educational institution. In the United States, there are several dozen institutions of higher education, including colleges, institutes and universities. The choice is quite extensive, however, a careful study of the closest options will help determine the entrant. To do this, you can independently study the site of the institution, read reviews of those who have already studied here or come to the campus of the university and see everything with your own eyes! An important factor in choosing a university will be its location, because with successful admission the student will spend here 3-4 years.
- Prepare for admission. To begin this process to an international student is better in advance - not less than 12 months before the expected start of education. During this time, the applicant will have to pass a language test, send applications (preferably not in one, but in 3-4 universities), get approval, issue a study visa and buy tickets to the country of education.
Before you begin to prepare the necessary documentation, familiarize yourself with the requirements of the university or college - the conditions and criteria for admission may differ in different educational institutions.
The standard list of documents required for an undergraduate student to apply for a higher education institution in America looks like this:
- Questionnaire or online application filled in on the site
- Certificate of secondary education in two copies, notarized
- Table of student's progress (2-3 previous academic years) + diplomas and certificates for extracurricular activities for the same period
- Certificate of proficiency in English - TOEFL
- Results of academic testing of SAT I or SAT II
- Recommendations from the candidate's teachers (usually in mathematics and English), or on behalf of the principal
- Motivation letter or essay
- A bank statement confirming the possibility to pay for study abroad and residence in the territory of America for at least one academic year.
With regard to financial costs, the cost of obtaining higher education in America is considered average relative to other countries. Finally, the final price will depend on factors related to a particular university or college - location, institution status and so on. The average cost of studying at universities in America for one academic year will require about 20,000 $ - 30,000 $ for foreign students. Obtaining a bachelor's degree in college will require slightly less expenses - about 5,000 $ - 10,000 $ annually.
America is a modern and progressive country, so the system of financial support for students is active here. To receive various scholarships and educational grants, not only local residents, but also foreign students can claim. Of course, there are a lot of interested people and the competition is great, but if you make efforts and study well, then all students have a chance to get a financial bonus.