- English study programs for admission to universities in the country
- Admission to universities in England: conditions of enrollment and training
- The cost of higher education in universities in the UK
For the study of English abroad, the UK is selected annually by hundreds of children, schoolchildren, teenagers and students. This country is one of the most attractive places for obtaining a quality classical education in English. The European diploma gives its owner many different opportunities - prestigious education, career prospects, a high level of knowledge of a foreign language. Therefore, the question of preparing for admission to universities in England is relevant among Russian and foreign students from all over the world. In the article, we will examine the existing curricula in Britain, their cost and the characteristics of the educational system as a whole.
English study programs for admission to universities in the country
The educational structure of many European countries includes an obligatory stage between secondary and higher school , intended for local students and foreign students. Its task is to prepare future students to study at the university on academic subjects, improve their English and successfully pass the language testing (an obligatory stage for enrolling in the university). British educational institutions offer foreign and Russian students several educational programs - they can be reached after the 9th, 10th or 11th grades of the national school:
- Foundation. This course is designed specifically for students who come abroad with a desire to get an education. After passing the annual Foundation program, foreign students can also transfer to an institution abroad - a private school, college or university. In the course of training, the students of the course choose for themselves the academic direction: humanities and law, economics and business and others. During this period, young people receive basic knowledge of the chosen specialization and are preparing to take tests for the level of English knowledge - IELTS or TOEFL . To get on the program, foreign students can only if they have a certificate of secondary education. Thus, only graduates of the school are enrolled in the course
- A-Level . The British national program is intended for high school students as the final stage of secondary education, and also as a preparatory stage for entering a British university. Training on the A-Level course takes 2 years. During this time, schoolchildren and adolescents study 4-5 disciplines in an in-depth format that are profile for the chosen profession. The first academic year is completed by passing the AS-level certification, and the second - by passing the A-Level examination directly. On the English training program are young people 15-16 years old. After its completion, students can enroll not only in British universities, but also higher schools throughout Europe or the world
- International Baccalaureate (IB) . An international curriculum that helps prepare for university entrance as students of the UK, but also for students from other countries. IB diplomas are well-listed in states around the world, including in some Russian universities. The International Baccalaureate course is wider than the national A-level, and the duration is similar - 2 years. At IB students study 5-6 subjects: native or foreign language, humanitarian subjects or natural and profile discipline for the chosen specialty. Completion of studies becomes the passing examinations in the disciplines studied and the writing of a large essay.
After the completion of any of the courses, foreign students can enter the University of Britain for the first stage of higher education - baccalaureate. Such a degree abroad can be obtained at a university or college.
Universities of England accept foreign students not only to the first level, but also to the second - to the magistracy. Candidates who have a bachelor's degree and who wish to continue their scientific work can get here. Graduates from abroad are young people with a high level of English (IELTS 6.5-7.5 or TOEFL 90-110). For admission to the department of magistracy at universities in Britain, training programs for potential undergraduates are also provided:
- Pre-Masters . The course helps to improve the level of academic English in various specializations. Duration of training from 1 to 3 trimesters - the period depends on the level of the student. To enroll in the program, a young person of at least 18 years old will also need a certain level of English - at least IELTS 4.5
- Graduate Certificate / Diploma. This is a program for preparing for a master's program with a similar structure. The difference is that the period of study here is fixed and is 9 months. To enroll a foreign student, you must have English at the level of IELTS 5.5.
Admission to universities in England: conditions of enrollment and training
For successful study abroad students from other countries should first of all decide on two main issues - specialization for higher education and a university, where several years of study will take place. A wide range of options is available for each of the questions, because in the UK there are more than 2000 variations of schools for different tastes and financial opportunities. Let's not forget that in order to get the first level of higher education in England, not only the university, but also the college is suitable. For applicants from other countries it is better to choose not more than ten variants from the proposed variety, and already selected institutions to study in more detail. When choosing, it is recommended to pay attention to the location of the institution, its rating, teaching staff and curriculum.
To receive a foreign student in an educational institution abroad (school, colleges or university) will need to prepare certain documents. The main condition for studying abroad is knowledge of the language. So the first item on the list of papers is the language test certificate IELTS or TOEFL with indicators above the average. It may turn out that it is not necessary to prepare documents separately and prepare for the tests, since all procedures can be completed on the course of pre-university training. Also for the application to the British educational institutions, an international document on secondary education is required - in England it is either GCSE (equivalent to the certificate after grade 9), or the A-level certificate. Each of the English educational institutions can ask the entrants for their package of documents, but the two items mentioned are considered compulsory in any case. And prestigious eminent British universities (for example, Oxford or Cambridge) have reception conditions more stringent than other higher schools.
Separately, we recommend that foreign and Russian applicants pay attention to the timing of the application. Usually the documents are accepted in September-October, and the review takes place in the spring - in May or June. It is important to meet the deadline, because in case of violation of the student may be required to pay a fine. Or move the examination of documents not for the current, but for the next academic year. For a few months, a foreign student will need to not only prepare and pass language testing, but also allocate time for the preparation of a study visa.
The cost of higher education in universities in the UK
As there are many options for obtaining education in Britain, the price range for educational services will be quite wide. And this is despite the fact that England is considered one of the most expensive countries in the world to receive education in English. Do not worry - budget options can be found here. The average cost of one academic year in a British university for an international student is approximately 10-20 thousand pounds sterling. The most prestigious and demanded specialties (for example, medicine or jurisprudence) will require even more financial costs - more than 20 thousand pounds. Let us also not forget about the programs of pre-university training: depending on the chosen variant of education, taking into account its duration at this stage, students and students from different countries will need about 8-9 thousand pounds sterling for one semester.