Central Europe is rich in medieval castles and fortresses: the castle of Liechtenstein, built in the 12th century, has survived to our time and delights connoisseurs of medieval architecture and history. When traveling around Austria, take the time to visit the castle - its amazing appearance, centuries-old underground passages and luxurious living spaces will appeal even to the sophisticated tourist who sees dozens of other castles. Guided tours are available in many languages.
- Liechtenstein Castle was founded by the princely family of Liechtenstein in 1136.
- In 1140, the fortress was first mentioned in historical records.
- In 1529 the castle was destroyed by the Turks, and then restored.
- In 1683, the castle was again destroyed during the war.
- Until 1884, Liechtenstein was in ruins.
- During the Second World War, the castle was again severely damaged.
- In the 50s of the last century, residents of Austria restored the building of the fortress, after which the Principality of Liechtenstein, in gratitude, transferred the castle for rent to local authorities.
- In 2007-2009 the castle was closed for the reconstruction of the roof and other elements.
- Since 2010, the facility is again open to visitors.
The building is presented in an unusual elongated and long form, which gives the impression that the castle literally grew on the outskirts of the Vienna Forest. This is a vivid representative of the Romanesque architecture of Austria: the minimum number of windows, high gabled towers, balconies, toothed tops.
The Great Hall amazes with its perfect girder vaults, a collection of weapons, and 19th-century furniture. In the bedrooms preserved centuries-old beds. Tourists can visit the chapel of St. Pankratia with almost 900 years of history: the main attraction of the chapel is the Crucifixion of Christ, written in 13th century in red chalk. Services are held here in our time.
Scenic views of the valley open from the balconies of the castle. Entrance fee is 9 € for an adult, 6 € for a child under 16 years old.
- The name of the castle translates as “light stone”: light materials were used in the construction.
- Chapel Bells is A Gift from the Princess of the Liechtenstein Family.
- In fine weather, even the capital of Slovenia, Bratislava, is visible from the balconies of the castle.
- The first tours of the castle were organized in the 19th century.
The object belongs to castles.