The process of admission to any of the US universities requires thorough preparation, which includes the obligatory passing of various exams and tests: SAT, GMAT, TOEFL or IELTS. Such a list of tests often discourages any desire to carry out the plan. But is there a way to avoid this protracted stage with exams? Is it realistic to enter a US university without exams? You will be surprised, but there is such an opportunity! Let's try to figure out how to do this.
In the United States, there is a preparatory program for foreign students called Pathway, thanks to which you can enter a university without exams in the specialty that is studied during the preparatory courses. Courses are based in educational institutions or specialized educational centers. In the process of studying on such a program, future students are actively studying English and the disciplines necessary for further education in the chosen direction.
Pluses of the program
The program opens up broad prospects for foreign applicants wishing to enter an American university. Its main advantages include:
- in-depth study of the English language and its practice
- no exams for admission to a university
- after completing the program, the student automatically enters the second semester of the first year
- the format of training in the courses is built on the same principle as the university
- no time limits: you can apply for the program at any time
- simple enrollment process.
To enroll in the Pathway, you need to choose a school, pay for the course, get an invitation - and you can proceed to. The main requirements for a candidate are at least 16 years of age, a high school diploma, and at least Intermediate English.
Cons of the program
Admission to a US university without exams also has disadvantages. The most obvious ones are:
- lack of opportunity to enroll in top universities: Harvard, Stanford, Princeton and other super-prestigious from the Ivy League (and not only)
- inability to receive a scholarship due to insufficient funding for international students
- rather high cost, commensurate with the cost of university tuition.
Not all universities are participating in the program. The most famous of them are:
- Colorado State University
- Drew University
- James Madison University
- George Mason University
- Florida Atlantic University
It is realistic to enter these universities without exams: the main thing is to know the language at a sufficient level and have an idea of what specialty you want to study.