Mon-Fri 8-17, Sat-Sun 10-16
(UK time)
  • Services
    • Services and prices
    • Immigration and citizenship
    • Scholarships
    • Tutoring and preparation for schools, universities abroad
  • Information
  • Partnership
    • Group travel
    • For teachers
    • Terms of partnership (for agents)
    • Instructions (for agents)
    • FAQ (for agents)
    • For schools
    • Educational fairs
    • Advertising
  • Contacts
2022-04-01 01:56:15

Higher education in China: what do you need to know before entering?

Higher education in China: what do you need to know before entering?

The Celestial Empire is actively developing in the international market, people are increasingly going to China to get an education and work. The country offers good prospects to both the Chinese themselves and foreigners.

How well are they taught in Chinese universities?

The World University Rankings is an independent international ranking of educational institutions, which includes 1400 universities from 92 countries. Among them, Zhejiang University is on the 107th place, Fudan University is on the 109th. These universities are also part of the "C9 League" (similar to the Ivy League), where nine elite universities in China are united. 

In 2019, more than 450,000 Korean, Thai and students from other countries of the world studied in China. Every year the number of foreigners wishing to enter one of the prestigious Chinese universities is growing. 

Originality of learning

In the 90s, and even now you can often hear that the Chinese do not produce anything new, but only copy. However, at the moment, China is considered a leader in the field of innovation: artificial intelligence, bioengineering, the creation of robots, the expansion of the lunar program, the development of high-speed railways, 5G technologies and navigation systems. Interestingly, one of the highest-speed trains, reaching a speed of 400 km / h, was developed at Beijing Transport University. Moreover, mentally, the Chinese have already launched unmanned flying taxis! 

Where can a Chinese diploma come in handy?

With a diploma from one of the Chinese universities, you can stay to work in China or go in search of work in one of the 55 countries of the world. In terms of nominal GDP, the Celestial Empire ranks second in the world. Since China actively cooperates with many foreign countries, specialists with knowledge of the Chinese language are in high demand in the world. 

Is knowledge of the language mandatory? 

Studying at Chinese universities takes place in English and Chinese. The second is considered preferable for several reasons: 

  • Knowledge of the national language increases the chance of good employment. 
  • Professors in Chinese usually teach better. 
  • There are far fewer majors open in English than in Chinese (approximately 10% of all available). 
  • In English, education costs almost 1.5 times more expensive. 

Requirements for applicants

You can start learning Chinese already on language courses or go to China for a pre-university annual education: first in English, then little by little students learn more and more Chinese words. At the end of their studies, they gain vocabulary and speak Chinese at a sufficient level to pass the entrance exams. 

Upon admission, the first thing they look at is academic performance (according to a certificate or bachelor's degree), a motivation letter, recommendations and interviews. If you have a certificate of knowledge of Chinese HSK4 and above, you can enroll in a bachelor's degree, and HSK5 and above - in a master's degree. In the case of English, IELTS and TOEFL are needed, and for each university the requirements are different.

With the successful completion of Course C, you can get a grant, count on full or partial payment of tuition. 


All students are accommodated in a dormitory on campus. The area of the campus depends on the status of the university. The rooms can accommodate 1, 2 or 4 people, with foreigners allocated newer rooms than local students. The cost of the hostel is from 4600 to 18 600 yuan annually. 

There is a more expensive option - to rent an apartment. True, in Shanghai, renting a one-room apartment costs from 7800 yuan per month, in Xi'an the price starts from 2000 yuan. 

How safe is it for students in China?

In terms of security, China in the world ranking takes 81st place. The assessment was conducted according to several criteria, including military conflicts and natural disasters.

Local food

In China, at least eight different cuisines are prepared, so here you can find dishes for any gourmet! In the university canteens there are both Chinese and European food, Muslim cuisine. If there is a desire, students can use to cook lunch themselves. 

Extracurricular activities

All students of Chinese universities have the opportunity to communicate with foreign students. In addition, everyone can attend additional cultural events in calligraphy, drawing or theatrical skills. Most of the students go to sports sections, travel to China and neighboring countries.

Military duty

When entering one of the universities in China, an invitation comes in English and Chinese. After receiving it, you need to contact the military enlistment office with a certified translation of the invitation and warn about your long absence from homeland. The original can not be given in any case, as it will be needed to obtain a visa and register at the university. 

Tuition fees

The level of the university and its location largely affect the price of education. Minimally, at the university without special "claims" they study for 10,000 yuan (90,000 rubles). The average price for the year is from 15,000 to 30,000 yuan (150,000 - 300,00 rubles). At the most prestigious universities, students pay 150,000 yuan. According to EMISS, studying in China is cheaper than in Europe and the United States. 

Tuition Grants

Grants can fully or partially cover the cost of education. Universities provide such support (you need to contact the university directly and wait for several months), the government (consider masters and doctoral students), there are grants from the Confucius Institute (only for humanitarian specialties with knowledge of the Chinese language) and grants from the Consortium China Campus Network (grants from one of the 38 universities of the consortium).

All articles
Your comment / review / question
There are no comments here yet
Your comment / review
If you have a question, write it, we will try to answer
* - Field is mandatory
Egor Eremeev
Current material has been prepared by Egor Eremeev
Education: Westminster University (Business & Management), London.
Egor studied and lived in the UK for 8 years and graduated from the university of Westminster. He is currently the co-founder and the director of business development at Smapse Education and personally visits foreign schools and universities, interviews students studying in those institutions.
Callback Online consultant
Напишите нам, мы онлайн!