Description of Ghent University
- Year of foundation: 1817
- Location: Ghent, Flanders, Belgium
- Language of instruction: Dutch, English
- Number of students: 38,000 people
- Age of students: 17+ years.
- Type of study: State University.
Ghent University is one of the top 100 universities in Belgium - it is one of the largest educational institutions in the country. 11 faculties offer a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses, conduct in-depth research in a variety of scientific fields. Ghent is the first European educational institution on the campus of Songdo University in South Korea.
Ghent University is located in Flanders, the Dutch part of Belgium, the cultural and economic center of Europe, and is an active participant in national, international cooperation in the fields of education, science and industry. The university was founded by William I, King of the Netherlands, in 1817 as a Latin-speaking state university. Today, after decades of continuous growth, Ghent has become one of the leading institutions of higher education and research in the country.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Ghent University
Accommodation, meals, prices
Ghent University offers two types of accommodation: residence and tenement apartments, rooms.
- Accommodation at the residence includes:
- The use of electricity, water, Internet (included in the rental price)
- Furniture, bedding set
- Lounge, bike park, laundry
- Peace and quiet at night during examinations
- 24-hour on-site support.
- Rental of property:
- The university announces the availability of student rooms ('studentenkamer / kot te huur')
- Room prices range from € 310 to € 450 per month.
- Deposit in the amount of rent for 1-3 months.
Activities Ghent University
Ghent University offers students to participate in a variety of institutions, organizations, and events:
- Ghent University Symphony Orchestra
- Harmonic Orchestra of the University of Ghent, choir
- Schamper Official Student Magazine
- Special book, art exhibitions
- Student unions, societies.
The Botanical Garden grows plants to support training or research programs, as part of plant conservation projects - it is open to students. Film-Plateau University Film Club holds regular film screenings for students. Student clubs are organized in many different directions, so that students can easily find a club of interests or organize their own.
- Eleven faculties of Ghent University offer eduaction in more than 230 high-quality academic courses inspired by innovative research.
- All undergraduate programs are taught in Dutch (except for the bachelor of social sciences). English is the language of instruction in a number of master’s programs, as well as the common language of study in doctoral studies.
- International cooperation of educational institutions in the field of research, services has led to the creation of numerous research groups, centers, institutes. Some of them are known worldwide in various scientific fields - biotechnology, aquaculture, microelectronics, history. The university is distinguished by its orientation towards promising areas of research and attention to social issues, pluralism of views.
- The school has campuses in the region of Ghent, in Kurtr, Oostende, Bruges, South Korea.
Facilities and equipment at Ghent University
- The educational institution boasts a fully equipped sports center with three large and two small rooms for indoor eduaction, a 25-meter swimming pool, a training pool, and two saunas.
- Special attention is paid to sports activities for people with disabilities.
- The educational institution offers individual support services and advice for students actively involved in professional sports.
- The university library is a network of faculty libraries and the Tower of Books, providing access to a wide range of scientific knowledge and helping users find the information they need.
Admission dates and extra charges
Tuition fees at Ghent University:
Bachelor Program, Linking Program & Preparatory Program
Master Program (not Advanced) & Master's Program in Teaching
Faculty of Arts and Philosophy
238,30 € + 11,40 € / kr. + 14.50 / cr.
For 60 kr.: 1792,30 €
242.80 € + 11.60 € / kr. + 14.80 € / kr.
For 60 kr .: 1826,80 €
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Political and Social Sciences
Faculty of Science and Faculty of Engineering and Biology
Faculty of Psychology and Pedagogical Sciences
Faculty of Law and Criminology
238,30 € + 11,40 € / kr. + 76.70 € / kr.
For 60 kr.: 5524,30 €
242.80 € + 11.60 € / kr. + 78,10 € / kr.
For 60 kr .: 5624,80 €
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
Faculty of Engineering and Architecture
Faculty of Economics and Business Administration
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Faculty of Biotechnology
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
238,30 € + 11,40 € / kr. + 35.20 € / kr.)
For 60 kr.: 3034,30 €
242.80 € + 11.60 € / kr. + 35.90 € / kr.
For 60 kr.: 3092,80 €
Tuition for other programs:
- Advanced Master Program - € 242.80 + € 11.60 / CD. + additional amount per cr., which may vary depending on the faculty.
- Postgraduate Program - € 242.80 + amount for cr. + additional amount per program or course unit.
- Permanent Program - € 234.10 + program fees (in most cases).
Tuition fee for Doctorate Programs, Doctoral Programme & Joint PhD:
- First set - € 939.60
- Re-registration - 0 € (no payment required)
- Protection - 939.60 €.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Admission is carried out on the basis of a diploma, regardless of nationality. Most qualifications obtained abroad do not allow direct admission: this means that a diploma is not automatically recognized as equivalent to a Flemish diploma and that admission can only be granted after an individual application procedure.
Requirements for applicants to undergraduate:
- Dutch at level B2, level C1 - for a bachelor of arts in applied language studies (bachelor of arts in de toegepaste taalkunde)
- Diplomas accepted for admission to a bachelor's degree (International Baccalaureate, US high school diploma + transcript of records, minimum 4 Advanced Placements, with original seal, apostille, foreign bachelor's or master's degree, properly certified).
Requirements for admission to the magistracy:
- B2 level Dutch
- English level B2 when enrolling in master's programs taught in English
- Diploma of a foreign higher education institution (bachelor degree - at least 3 years, master's program).
In some cases, applicants may not be admitted directly to the master's program, but must first complete a Preparatory course (from 45 to 90 ECTS credits, depending on the nature of previous studies).
- English at level B2
- Master Degree
- Letters of recommendation
- Research results.
Scholarships Ghent University
The Ministry of Education of Flanders provides scholarships to outstanding students. The maximum allowance is € 8,000 per academic year.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Ghent University
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.