Germany has always been a special religious country; it has become the birthplace of famous religious figures, reformers and theologians. It is not surprising that the church heritage was carefully preserved here. Ettal Abbey - a monument of medieval architecture, which is still used for its intended purpose. To get into the brotherhood of this monastery is considered a great success. The gates of Ettal are always open to visitors, the inhabitants will gladly conduct an excursion and treat them with the products of local cheese factories and distilleries. The Ettalian Monastery is a great stop on your itinerary in Bavaria, after visiting which you will be impressed for a long time!
History of the cloister
In 1330, Emperor Ludwig returned from Italy, and, traveling along Ettali, his horse stopped 3 times and knelt. Ludwig of Bavaria was a religious man, took this as a sign and vowed to erect a rich monastery on the Ettalian land. Coincidence or not, but it happened on the day of memory of St. Vitaly.
The monastery began with the construction of the temple in the Gothic style. The construction was twelve-sided; a bell tower stood nearby. The emperor donated an ancient statue of the Virgin to the temple. The construction of the temple was completed in 1370. Around the temple, people began to settle, create a community, take monastic vows - and so a monastery arose. By the XVIII century, it became clear that the buildings needed restoration - and the Gothic style was gradually replaced by the Baroque.
In 1744, the Ettalian Abbey was seized by a strong fire: it took the brethren fifty years to cope with its consequences. In 1790, the monastery was restored in the form in which it was before the disaster, and the construction of the famous side towers began.
In the fashionable at that time baroque style were erected:
- North tower
- Assumption Temple
- Representation of the Knights of the Teutonic Order.
In 1803 the monastery was dissolved, for a hundred years no one lived here, the owners changed very often. Only in 1900 the monastery began to be used for its intended purpose - was transferred to the monks of Scheyern Abbey. In 1920, Ettal Abbey received the status of a small basilica.
- The monastery was originally inhabited by monks of the order in honor of Benedict of Nursia, a common Christian saint of the VI century
- In the Middle Ages, the monastery was of a mixed type: men lived in one part of the building, women in the other
- The south clock tower, which is associated with the monastery, was built in 1903
- The baroque project was developed by Enrico Zucchali, Straub worked on the interior
- The interior is specially made in bright colors - on the walls and ceilings there are paintings and murals depicting the biblical history and chronicles of the monastery
- In 1922, the composer Sergei Prokofiev stayed at the abbey, who wrote the opera Fiery Angel here.
- During the Second World War, the monks ranked themselves as Hitler's opposition. Rupert Meyer and Dietrich Bonhoeffer, members of the anti-Nazi movement, stayed here.
The object belongs to the monasteries.