- What is the peculiarity of the cliffs of Moher?
- Observation Decks
- How to get there
- Interesting Facts
Ireland is a small, but rich in tourist attractions country, and one of the must-see places is the Cliffs of Moher. Rocks stretch for eight kilometers along the coast, their height - more than 200 meters. The main observation deck is a tower with a view of the cliffs, the sea and the Andes. Every year thousands of tourists visit this wonder of the world, but in 2006 the record was broken, which helped the place to receive the title of the main attraction of Ireland. The impressions of visiting the cliffs of Moher, give them the right to be called the real natural gem of Ireland.
What is the peculiarity of the cliffs of Moher?
Thanks to geological research, it was possible to find out that the group of rocks was formed more than 8,000 years ago. They got their name from the fort built here in the 16th century and destroyed by Napoleon in the nineteenth. The cliffs of Moher above sea level - 1,020 meters, the height of the highest point - the tower of O'Brien - 2,014 meters.
O'Brien, after whom the observation tower is named, was a descendant of the first king of Ireland, who lived in a village near the rocks. The man was wealthy, which allowed him to build a sturdy tower on the highest cliff. The main goal of the construction is to attract tourists, due to which the economic situation of the area was supposed to improve.
Cliffs of Moher are unique in terms of flora and fauna: flowers and herbs grow here, more than 20 species of birds and animals live, including ermines, hares, badgers, goats and cows.
3 viewing platforms have been created on the territory of the Moher Cliffs, from which stunning views of the entire district open:
- Hag's Head is the highest point overlooking the bay. This name was given due to the fact that it is located on a rock resembling the head of a girl looking at the ocean. According to legend, this girl fell into the gorge while watching her lover. Not only an observation deck is named after her, but also one of the nearby cities.
- The North Platform. The site is located in close proximity to the tower of O'Brien, it offers a 360-degree view.
- The southern platform, with which it is best to watch the Atlantic Ocean, inhale fresh air and listen to the birds singing.
How to get there
There are 3 main ways to get to the cliffs of Moher:
- On your own car. You don’t have to worry about safety: there is a guarded parking lot in front of the cliffs.
- Come as part of the tour. The main plus is the support of the guide, thanks to which you can learn a lot of interesting things.
- Get on your own with local commuter buses.
- On the shore of Geloway Bay, overlooking from the cliffs, is Dangwire Castle, which regularly hosts costume balls
- Cliffs of Moher is a popular filmmaking site. So, the film "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" was shot here, namely the moment where Voldemort hides a piece of his soul.
The object belongs to natural attractions.