University preparation in Italy for foreign students
- Education information
- Features and benefits of studying in Italy for international students
- Higher education in Italy: features and tuition fees
- Preparation for Italian universities: basic programs and courses
- Learning programs-summary information
- Top 21 boarding colleges in England 2022
- Top 35 best universities and colleges in Canada 2022
- Cost of living in Italy
- Higher education-statistics
Centro Culturale Giacomo Puccini Italian Language School in Viareggio
Nowadays, Italy is chosen by many foreign students due to a wide range of high-quality educational services. SMAPSE offers 30 best Italian schools and universities where foreign students can get preparation courses that will help to enter prestigious universities in Italy and abroad. Due to the list of TOP-30 prestigious schools and universities in Italy, you will definitely find the most appropriate option. Please, don't hesitate to contact SMAPSE experts at any time as they are always ready to answer all your questions.
Features and benefits of studying in Italy for international students
- Scholarships and the low cost of educational programs relative to European prices - Italy provides a fairly low cost of studying. Foreign students will be able to apply for financial assistance from the state and university scholarships
- It’s relatively easy to enter Italian schools and universities. In many universities you don't need to take an entrance exam. Moreover, applicants may not need a certificate of language proficiency. Preparation for a university in Italy for students will be quite simple in comparison with universities in Britain or Switzerland, USA.
- Students are given the freedom to choose programs and lecturers - so students will not spend time on unnecessary subjects and will be able to concentrate on disciplines that are significant to them
- The list of the most popular areas includes design, architecture and urban planning - for these specialties, students come here from all over the world.
Higher education in Italy: features and tuition fees
The main form of studying is lectures. Usually the year is divided into semesters, but you can meet the universities of Italy, in where the studying year is divided into trimesters. The scientific degrees correspond to the gradations adopted at the Bologna system:
- Bachelor's degree (Laurea)
- Master's degree (Laurea Magistrale)
- Doctoral studies (Dottorato di Ricerca).
The first stage of higher education in Italy will take three years, Master programs last two years, Doctoral studies 3-5 years.
Foreign students are allowed to earn extra money, but no more than 20 hours a week. Upon graduation, a student who wants to work in Italy must obtain a work permit.
The cost depends on the type of institution: tuition prices will be more affordable in state universities. In private universities, the high cost is due to the wide opportunities for development and self-education in studying and sports. The cost of an academic year at a state university is 500-350 euros (single entry fee).
Universities in Italy introduce more and more academic programs in English every year: in order to enter such a course, one must have a language proficiency not lower than Intermediate (IELTS 5.5) for admission to undergraduate studies or Upper-Intermediate (IELTS 6.0) - for Master's programs. English courses are usually more expensive than studying at a university in Italy in Italian.
Preparation for Italian universities: basic programs and courses
To study abroad, emphasis must be placed on language and academic preparation. For foreign students in Italy there are special preparatory courses aimed at improving the level of language proficiency and enhancing school knowledge.
- Foundation Year is a one-year course consisting of intensive classes with the goal of developing academic, professional and language skills. Students of the course leave positive feedback, noting that studying at the undergraduate level after such preparation is much easier. The linguistic part includes a set of lessons in English and Italian. A year of study in Italy at Foundation Year will cost 12-15 thousand euros.
- Foundation + BA (Honours) Degree is a three-year course, divided into several stages: the first is admission to the classic Foundation, after which students enter the first year at the University of Italy.
- University-level courses are short-term areas of highly specialized preparation for further long-term studies in Italy. For example, the School of Design will cost 22 thousand euros per year.
Learning programs-summary information
|GCSE||General certificate of secondary education||secondary education (non-accomplished)||14||1–2||A-Levels||15,000 USD+|
|A-Levels||Advanced level||secondary education (accomplished)||16||2||University||15,000 USD+|
|BTEC||Business and Technology Education Board||secondary special education||14||2–3||University/ work||15,000 USD+|
|Oxbridge Preparation||Preparing for Oxford and Cambridge||secondary education (accomplished)||17||1||University||15,000 USD+|
|International Baccalaureate||International baccalaureate||secondary education (accomplished)||16||2||University||18,000 USD+|
|Foundation/ Pathway Year||Preparatory year||admission to the 1st year of university||17||1||University||14,000 USD+|
|NCUK||The Northern consortium||2 year university||17,5||1||2 year University of NCUK||13,000 USD+|
|Special Preparation (Medics/Math/Business)||Specialized training||-||14||optional||optional||4,000 USD+|
|Academic English||Academic English||Language school||8 +||6–12 months||School or University||8,000 USD+|
|1||Cardiff Sixth Form College|
|2||National Mathematics and Science College|
|3||Abbey College Cambridge|
|9||King's College St Michael’s|
|11||Chelsea Independent College|
|15||St Clare's Oxford|
|19||Ealing Independent College|
|20||Cambridge Tutors College|
|1||University of Toronto|
|3||University of British Columbia|
|4||University of Alberta|
|5||Simon Fraser University|
|7||University of Windsor|
|9||University of Guelph|
|11||University of Manitoba|
|12||University of Waterloo|
|13||Royal Roads University|
|14||Vancouver Film School|
|15||Kwantlen Polytechnic University|
|16||University of Calgary|
|19||University of Ottawa|
|22||University of Regina|
|24||Thompson Rivers University|
|26||Vancouver Island University|
|28||Centennial College Toronto|
|33||Saint Clair College|
Cost of living in Italy
|Expenses - USD/Month.||Min.||Med.|
|Communications and utilities||99||143|
|Sports and leisure||30||112|
|Accommodation in Italy||USD/Month.|
|Shared room outside of centre||220|
|Shared room in city centre||301|
|1 bedroom apartment outside of centre||390|
|1 bedroom apartment in city centre||511|
|Name in Italian||Laurea|
|Deadline||April - May|
|The probability of admission||95%|
|Average cost (Italian)||1700EUR–4000EUR / per year|
|Average cost (English)||8000EUR+|
|Language of tuition||Italian |
|Minimum level of Italian||CILSB2|
|Minimum level of English||IELTS6.5|
|Percentage of students enrolled in the master's program||95%|