6 best colleges in Canada for international students
International colleges (or Six-form Colleges, Tutorial Colleges) are educational institutions for high school students, that help to prepare for enrolling in a selected university. Among the educational institutions of Canada international colleges are becoming more and more popular every year. Due to the list of 6 best international colleges in Canada, you can find the best option.
In the international colleges in Canada preparation of foreign students is conducted for the successful enrolment in TOP universities in other countries. The best colleges in Canada offer to the international students studying on various educational programs, known and recognized throughout the academic world: GCSE and A-level from Great Britain, High School Diploma from the USA, the program of International Baccalaureate from Switzerland (IB), etc.
As a rule, in private colleges in Canada the schoolchildren and students of the final grades of secondary school study. The international college in Canada is the link between the middle school and higher educational institutions, combining specific features of schools and universities. At the end of studying in the TOP colleges in Canada the students can obtain Bachelor degree or specialization. Among the main advantages of getting an education in international colleges in Canada, it is worth noting the following:
The duration of the educational process is lower compared to secondary educational institutions in Great Britain or the USA on similar studying courses.
Tuition fee of educational services in the international colleges in Canada is lower than in the majority of universities in Canada and other countries.
Education in private colleges in Canada is transition period, when the pupils gradually get used to the orders and traditions of higher educational institutions, studying disciplines, namely English or other foreign language and subjects chosen by the student in secondary schools.
The experts of educational portal Smapse.com offer the private colleges in Canada. In this section of our website you can find a list of the best international colleges in Canada, their description, ranking, as well as tuition prices. The education in Canada is a great opportunity to ensure the successful future of the child, as the diplomas and certificates of completion of secondary and higher educational institutions of Canada are highly regarded by international corporations and the best higher education institutions around the world.
Several facts about studying in 6 best colleges in Canada for international students
International colleges usually accept children 15-16 years old (after 9 or after 11th grade)
Flexible and intensive programs. There is practically no leisure and entertainment programs. It is assumed that to the senior classes students have already learned to behave and have mastered key social norms - an emphasis and the main attention is paid to linguistic and academic preparation
Students can take a large number of individual classes and subject electives in the top priority disciplines. Each student can devote maximum attention to the core disciplines important for admission and study at the university
A democratic atmosphere, more loyal rules. Students and teachers communicate with each other more informally, there is no uniform. However, strict monitoring of academic performance and visits is strictly prohibited, smoking, alcohol and drugs are strictly prohibited, and boys and girls are co-located in the bedrooms (these blocks are always separate at the college residences)
Minimal groups for classes - a maximum of 6 people, usually it is even classes for 2-3 people
Modern educational programs in TOP 6 colleges in Canada are practice-oriented and meet the highest international academic standards. If you are preparing to enter the university - you will be offered the most effective courses that fully meet the requirements of the university admission commissions. If in college you want to get a working specialty and professional qualification - internships and working practices will become an integral part of the educational process. Thanks to this approach, a very high level of successful admission to universities (over 90%) is presented
More affordable price: the cost of getting Bachelor's, diploma and certificate programs is 1.5-2 times lower on average than on similar specialties at the university. At the same time, the value of diplomas is not lower: prestigious international colleges, included in the national and world rankings on high positions, are respected among employers around the world
- If you decide to transfer from the program to the program - as a rule, you will not need to pass many additional exams: it will be enough to confirm your good academic performance and a high level of English (report card with grades and a certificateTOEFL / IELTS ). Moreover, this pattern works in transfers within the college (for example, with a certificate for a diploma programme), and at partner universities (admission immediately to the 2-year Bachelor's degree or guaranteed enrollment for the first year).
Main programs and courses offered by international colleges in Canada
- Advanced academic studying (2-6 months): an excellent opportunity to deepen knowledge of priority subjects (usually 1-3 subjects) before enrolling in a university
- University Foundation ( 8-9 months) - complex pre-university programme: subject studying + intensive course of academic English
- GCSE (usually 1 year): a programme for completing a course of incomplete secondary education, usually in Britain, school children finish it by 15-16 years
- A-level (usually one and a half years, sometimes two): the gold standard of British education, which gives the opportunity to enter the best universities of the planet without additional entrance examinations and tests. An in-depth, complicated study of 3-5 selected subjects practically at the university level
- Certificate or diploma (32-52 weeks): ordinary or advanced level (Advanced). It allows you to start working right after graduation - it's very convenient for specialties that do not require deep theoretical knowledge (like medicine, jurisprudence, architecture, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree (3-4 years) - the first stage of higher professional education, which gives the opportunity to work not only in junior positions (as a certificate or diploma), but also to qualify for rapid career growth.
5 tips to choose the best international college in Canada
If you decide to enter Canadian international college, SMAPSE experts have prepared for you a small list of rules.
- Think and decide, what kind of specialty do you want to study in the university, in which field and sphere do you want to pursue a career
- View the ranking of educational institutions - both international colleges and universities (SMAPSE expert will be able to find the most relevant information). It often happens that the most suitable is not the most ranked and expensive university, but the less known, but with more practice-oriented programs in your chosen field - do not rely exclusively on big names
- Check the availability of partnership programs between selected international colleges and higher education institutions - such courses are often available for business lines. Perhaps, you will have the possibility of guaranteed enrollment or transfer immediately to the second year of the Bachelor's degree (of course, with excellent academic performance)
- Maybe the chosen international college provides programs of professional preparation, advanced studying and working specialty (diploma, certificate, Bachelor's degree)? Do not refuse such an opportunity! The cost of studying will be significantly lower, and diplomas of respected international colleges are valued at least as much as university ones
- Do you want to study at a public or private international college? Private ones, as a rule, provide better conditions and more modern infrastructure, a wider choice of programs, but state ones are significantly cheaper.
|1||Brookes Shawnigan Lake|
|2||Rosseau Lake College|
|4||Columbia International College|
|6||St Andrew's College|
|7||Brentwood College School|
|9||Bodwell High School|
|10||Trafalgar Castle School|
|12||Shawnigan Lake School|
|1||Cardiff Sixth Form College|
|2||National Mathematics and Science College|
|3||Abbey College Cambridge|
|9||King's College St Michael’s|
|11||Chelsea Independent College|
|15||St Clare's Oxford|
|19||Ealing Independent College|
|20||Cambridge Tutors College|
Cost of living in Canada
|Expenses - USD/Month.||Min.||Med.|
|Communications and utilities||81||89|
|Sports and leisure||23||84|
|Accommodation in Canada||USD/Month.|
|Shared room outside of centre||297|
|Shared room in city centre||380|
|1 bedroom apartment outside of centre||539|
|1 bedroom apartment in city centre||690|
|1||University of Toronto|
|3||University of British Columbia|
|4||University of Alberta|
|5||Simon Fraser University|
|7||University of Windsor|
|9||University of Guelph|
|11||University of Manitoba|
|12||University of Waterloo|
|13||Royal Roads University|
|14||Vancouver Film School|
|15||Kwantlen Polytechnic University|
|16||University of Calgary|
|19||University of Ottawa|
|22||University of Regina|
|24||Thompson Rivers University|
|26||Vancouver Island University|
|28||Centennial College Toronto|
|33||Saint Clair College|