TOP-10 colleges in Switzerland for international students
Most often for foreign students, the most accessible and effective way to enter universities in Switzerland is to study at the national boarding school. But there is another great way, especially if you decide to go after grade 9 or 11, transfer after graduation - international colleges Switzerland.
International colleges (or Six-form Colleges, Tutorial Colleges) are schools for high school students aimed specifically at preparing students for admission to universities. The name Tutorial Colleges brings these institutions closer to the tutoring system that we are familiar with: in addition to intensive language and subject courses, the student can take almost unlimited number of additional classes and individual consultations on the most priority academic areas. Strengths of international colleges include a flexible and yet strengthened programs: due to academic concentration, many students here master courses more quickly - for example, they pass GCSE for six months, and A-level - for a year and a half (instead of the traditional two years in both cases).
6 advantages of studying in TOP-10 international colleges in Switzerland?
- Intensified, intensive academic work - so here, compared to the traditional boarding schools of Switzerland, there is not so rich and diverse extra-curricular employment, there is not a lot of creative and sporting electives, a large set of excursions. The same applies to the education of the person, the lessons of etiquette and good behavior: it is assumed that high school students (and Six-form Colleges usually take children 15-16 years old) already know how to behave in society.
- Small groups - basically all for 6 persons, and many subject classes and lectures and at all pass in mini-groups on 2-3 persons
- A more democratic environment and discipline, especially the relationship between teachers and students. Of course, nobody canceled the traditional subordination and mutual respect, but in general the rules are quite loyal, there is no uniform. At the same time, the fundamental order maintains its strictness: careful monitoring of attendance and achievement, boys and girls are not allowed to be in the same bedroom, smoking, alcohol or drugs should, as a rule, be immediately eliminated.
- Modern, practical and constantly updated educational programs. International colleges monitor the requirements of admissions offices of universities and seek to provide students with the most relevant data, effective programs. If you decided to get a working, professional qualification in the college- your studies will include a large amount of practice, internships: this makes the graduates truly qualified, experienced and sought-after specialists. The level of successful employment among graduates of international colleges is unusually high, and more than 90% of students enter the universities consistently
- If you decide to transfer from the programme to the programme - you usually do not need to take a lot of additional exams: it is enough to confirm the high performance (report card with grades) and a good level of English (certificate IELTS / TOEFL ). This also applies to internal transfers within the college (for example, after the A-level for a Bachelor's degree or a diploma course), and transfers to partner universities (1-2 baccalaureate courses after the completion of the corresponding preparatory program).
- Of course, there is a difference and price: in general, the cost of study at international colleges in Switzerland is 1.5-2 times lower than on similar programs at the university.
Usually Six-form Colleges accept students after grade 9 or after graduation (after grade 11) - at 15-16 years - for programs lasting from six months to two years.
6 programs to study in 10 best Swiss international colleges
International colleges offer a wide range of courses:
- Advanced academic studying (2-6 months): an excellent opportunity to deepen knowledge of priority subjects (usually 1-3 subjects) before entering university
- University Foundation (8-9 months) - comprehensive pre-university programme: subject studying + intensive academic English course
- GCSE (usually 1 year): the programme to complete the course Part-secondary education
- A-level (usually one and a half years, sometimes two): the gold standard of British education, giving the opportunity to enter the best universities of the planet without additional entrance examinations and tests. An in-depth, complicated study of 3-5 selected subjects practically at the university level
- Certificate or diploma (32-52 weeks): ordinary or advanced level (Advanced). It allows you to start working right after graduation - it's very convenient for specialties that do not require deep theoretical knowledge (like medicine, jurisprudence, architecture, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree (3-4 years) - the first stage of higher professional education, which gives the opportunity to work not only in junior positions (as a certificate or diploma), but also to qualify for rapid career growth.
6 tips to choose the right Swiss international college
SMAPSE experts have prepared for you a list of rules - following them, together with SMAPSE specialists you can choose the best international college in Switzerland:
- Think about what specialty you would like to study at the university
- Check out the official ratings of international colleges and universities (SMAPSE specialist will help you find the most relevant information).
- Choose among the universities options that better meet your requirements for future profession and specialty. Do not limit yourself exclusively to the names of elite, prestigious and expensive universities - perhaps you are best suited to a profile university, less well-known, but teaching you exactly the right programs
- Think about what is best for you: a private college (a larger choice of programs, modern infrastructure and conditions) or public (lower cost of education)
- Check the availability of partner programs: many universities are constantly cooperating with international colleges, offering graduates the latest preferential terms or completely guaranteed enrollment. Especially often this trend can be found on business lines
- Maybe the chosen international college itself has the right to teach professional courses and issue diplomas, certificates and Bachelor's degrees, conduct refresher courses? If yes - do not miss this opportunity! The training will be just as effective, the diploma will be no less valuable, and the cost of studying will be much lower. Here are just a few specialties, diplomas for which it makes sense to get in international colleges: make-up and fashion, design, finance, banking, accounting, tourism and hospitality, hospitality technology, international relations, economics, management, information systems.
General statistics on education in Switzerland-ratings, specializations, universities
|1||College Du Leman|
|2||St. Georges School Montreux|
|3||Institut Monte Rosa|
|4||Lyceum Alpinum Zuoz|
|5||Saint-Charles Collège et Lycée|
|6||Leysin American School|
|7||Hochalpines Institut Ftan AG High Alpine|
|8||Aiglon College Switzerland|
|9||Institut Le Rosey School|
|10||Institut Montana Zugerberg|
|12||Brillantmont International School|
|14||Ecole Pre Fleuri|
|1||College Du Leman|
|2||St. Georges School Montreux|
|4||Saint-Charles Collège et Lycée|
|5||Lyceum Alpinum Zuoz|
|6||College Beau Soleil|
|7||Aiglon College Switzerland|
|8||Institut auf dem Rosenberg|
|9||Lemania College Lausanne|
|10||Malvern College Switzerland|
|1||Cardiff Sixth Form College|
|2||National Mathematics and Science College|
|3||Abbey College Cambridge|
|9||King's College St Michael’s|
|11||Chelsea Independent College|
|15||St Clare's Oxford|
|19||Ealing Independent College|
|20||Cambridge Tutors College|
|1||University of Toronto|
|3||University of British Columbia|
|4||University of Alberta|
|5||Simon Fraser University|
|7||University of Windsor|
|9||University of Guelph|
|11||University of Manitoba|
|12||University of Waterloo|
|13||Royal Roads University|
|14||Vancouver Film School|
|15||Kwantlen Polytechnic University|
|16||University of Calgary|
|19||University of Ottawa|
|22||University of Regina|
|24||Thompson Rivers University|
|26||Vancouver Island University|
|28||Centennial College Toronto|
|33||Saint Clair College|