- Why choose a school in California?
- Features of teaching in California schools
- How to enter a prestigious school in the US
- How to choose a school in California
- Prices for training in schools in California
Choosing a school for a child abroad , parents often stop at American schools. It's not just a matter of prestigious education: a Cheba in a high school in the US is the first step toward entering the top universities of the world. According to statistics, 90% of graduates of private American boarding schools are enrolled in selected universities, including Ivy League universities.
If for parents not only the academic merit of the school and its teachers matters, but also the location, then the choice naturally stops at California. This state on the Pacific coast has become famous all over the world for its amazing sunny climate, snow-white beaches, tourist and business centers. There are dozens of educational institutions that head the ratings, as well as the famous Silicon Valley, the center of innovative technologies, known throughout the world.
Why choose a school in California?
- A unique academic system of American school education is focused on the individual development of each child, taking into account his desires, talents and plans for the future;
- The curriculum includes compulsory disciplines and a wide range of subjects to choose from;
- Classes are formed taking into account the individual characteristics and educational success of children;
- For students, they create the opportunity to develop not only academic, but extra-curricular skills. Successes in sports and creativity are of great importance in school;
- Most schools organize special language courses for foreigners, which help children adapt to the new environment and begin to master the curriculum on a par with American classmates;
- Graduates of California schools show high results when enrolling in American universities, where, in turn, gives the opportunity to obtain a work permit in the United States ;
- The American school certificate is recognized by universities around the world;
- Life in California is comfortable and fun. Warm and sunny weather, proximity to the ocean, a high standard of living and an abundance of popular attractions make the staff interesting from the point of view not only of studying but also of rest.
Features of teaching in California schools
In California, schooling lasts 12 years. Each student is studying compulsory and additional subjects. The first include natural and social sciences, mathematics, literature and physical education. In addition to studying, you can usually choose:
- Foreign language (most private schools in the US offer a large number of languages to choose from - European and Eastern languages, Greek, Latin);
- Computer technologies and IT;
- Economics and statistics;
- Applied disciplines (similar to Russian lessons of work, but with a much greater variety of directions);
- Journalism and editorial.
A large number of sports and creative sections are organized for pupils. Schoolchildren who show success at sports competitions or creative competitions, have an advantage in training and admission to universities.
Private schools in California usually invite students from 12 to 14 years. For foreign children offer several options for accommodation: accommodation on campus or in the family. Prestigious private school in California is usually a whole campus with rich infrastructure, numerous recreational and entertainment zones and comfortable conditions. Therefore, most Russian children choose to live in a boarding house.
To enter the California school will have to carefully prepare, because the competition is up to ten people in place. Applicant will need:
- Well-filled English questionnaire;
- A report card with ratings for several years;
- Recommendations from teachers in English;
- An oral interview to identify the motivation and goals of the child (you can go personally or through Skype);
- Testing in several basic subjects;
- Testing for English (American SSAT test or SLEP, TOEFL certificates).
If the child shows good results in all areas, but does not reach the required level in English, he can pre-pass the preparatory program or go to a summer language camp in the US.
The richest opportunities for study in California are provided by the cities of San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Malibu, Berkeley and Stanford. The last two houses elite universities, famous throughout the world: California, Berkeley and Stanford .
- Pacific Collegiate Charter
- Oxford Academy (Oxford Academy)
- Whitney High School (Whitney High School)
- KIPP San Jose Collegiate (San Jose High School KIPP Collegiate)
- Preuss School UCSD
- Lowell High School (Lowell High School)
- University High School (Fresno) (University of Fresno High School)
- Hawthorne Math and Science Academy (Academy of Mathematics and Science of Hawthorne)
- University Preparatory Academy Charter (Charter School, University Preparatory Academy)
- Los Angeles Center for Enriched Studies (Los Angeles Enrichment Research Center).
The cost of one semester of studies in the California private boarding school is usually from 20 (in schools simpler) to 50 thousand dollars (in the most elite schools). The price usually includes accommodation, meals and study materials.