In the county of Limerick is located, according to local residents, the cutest village in the world - Adare, which means “oak fortress”. The settlement looks like it has come down from the pages of fairy tales, and familiar fairy-tale heroes are about to leave the houses. Despite its apparent simplicity, the place attracts tourists from all over the world - largely due to the attractions located here: the Franciscan monastery, Desmond castle, the Holy Trinity monastery and the Augustinian monastery. And all these majestic cultural objects are among miniature houses with thatched roofs. Locals are accustomed to tourists, treat everyone friendly and welcoming, willingly answer questions and invite guests for a glass of ale.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the design of the village was developed by the Earl of Dunraven and was soon brought to life. All houses in the village do not belong to the residents, but are leased on special conditions, some of which have remained unchanged since the construction of Adare.
Since the 1820s, the appearance of the village has not changed: houses with thatched roofs, monasteries, shops, small village parks are adjacent on the main street. The purpose of the buildings has changed: most of them are given for souvenir and craft shops, shops, cafes, workshops, museums.
Ireland has long been the leader in the number of houses with thatched roofs: a special composition of straw and turf and a sloping shape protected the houses of cold and damp. Until recently, most of the houses in Ireland were built using such technology, and the profession of roofer was very much in demand. However, over the past thirty to fifty years, building technologies have changed and you can hardly find such houses - for this reason thatched roofs attract tourists from all over the world today.
Adare is recognized as an object of cultural and historical heritage of Ireland, because in addition to the cute fairy houses, there are other attractions:
- The Augustinian monastery was built in 1316. It was restored in the mid-nineteenth century; today it houses the Anglican Church of St. Nicholas.
- Franciscan Abbey. It was founded in 1464, the construction lasted 2 years. Most of the once majestic building is the ruins, among which a golf course was organized. Every year on Easter Sunday a service is held in the monastery.
- The Holy Trinity Monastery, founded in 1230 by the Order of the Trinitarian, is the only one in Ireland. In 1811, it was transferred to the Catholic Church.
- Desmond Castle, built by representatives of the O'Donovan clan in the 12th century. Since 1996, a complete restoration of the facility. In summer, the castle can be visited with a guide.
- The cemetery of St. Nicholas and the temple of the 12th century located on it.
- Despite the fact that there is a railway station in the village, it is impossible to get to Adare by train - it has been closed for over 40 years. You can arrive in the village by regular bus.
- Today, 2,450 people live in the village.
- Adair is located 16 km from the city of Limerick.
- A five-star hotel and a golf club are located on the territory of Manor Manor.
- In 1967, Adair won the Irish Tidy Towns Competition.
The object belongs to the villages.