The program of classical animation in the Vancouver Film School - a win-win choice. VFS has become the best higher school in Canada and the second in the world (according to Animation Career Review) thanks to its modern, practical-oriented courses, qualified teachers (managed by Vanessa Jacobsen, a recognized expert in world animation), ultra-modern equipment - and you too can get an interesting profession according to your talents!
The annual program has been working since 1994. From the very first day students will start working on professional skills, techniques and tools, translating them into personal training sketches and project group work. The structure of the course includes classes on:
- character design
- shooting a short film: one will be filmed in a traditional 2D format and presented at a film festival, the second in a fully digital format (will be included in the final portfolio)
- development of general artistic skills
- basic concepts of the character: synchronization, weight, movement and actions, role in the plot, etc.
The course opens for graduates the widest career opportunities for employment around the world:
- flash animator
- designer of the drawing environment
- designer background
- 2D digital animator
- art director
- character designer
Many former VFS students have already managed to build a successful career and participate in large-scale global projects:
- Kim Ooi (animation director - "Astroboy")
- Rob Butelier (author of the idea - "KID VS KET")
- Claudia Keeney (leading assistant-animator - "Princess and the Frog")
- Brad Rau (co-author - GHOSTBOT)
- Brian Demoscoff (animator - "Coraline")
- Jason Thiessen (chief director - My little pony)
- Andrew Park (animator - "The Avengers")
- Andrew Ovurtum (animation director - Sponge Bob Square Pants)
- Yon Isen (author of the idea - "YAM ROLL")
- Michael Loya (director of the double - "American Dad")
- Daniel Holland (production designer - "WALL-E")
- Michael Cosens (leading animator and leading animator for film shots - "Avatar")
- Luis Gade (designer characters - "Angry Birds in the movies").
Information for applicants:
- Duration: 1 year
- Beginning of studies: January, March, September (exact dates can be checked with your manager)
- Up to 10 major events each year
- Graduates receive a diploma (direction "Classical animation"), a professional video, a full portfolio of animator and artist + exclusive access to a unique VFS vacancy fair. Successful employment is easier than it seems!
Applicants of the course should prepare a personal portfolio (up to 12 works): still-lifes, drawings from life, sketches of characters, etc.