XCL American Academy, XCL American Academy International School
Description of XCL American Academy, XCL American Academy International School
- Location: Yishun, Singapore,
- Language of instruction: English,
- Type of training: mixed.
XCL American Academy is an international school with an American curriculum that provides programs for children from 2 to 14 years old.
The institution offers high-quality, effective, and affordable education. The programs are designed to offer comprehensive training for students planning to study, work, and live in the United States.
In the 8th grade, students are given the opportunity to transfer to the XCL World Academy partner school, located on the adjacent campus, and choose one of three diplomas that they will receive at the end of their high school education:
- Advanced Placement (AP) Diploma,
- U.S. High School Diploma,
- IB Diploma.
One of the standout features of American Academy is the PioneerTown Entrepreneurship Course. Students will participate in a large-scale simulation of the city, role-playing games and take on various responsibilities in the autonomous economy, learn important concepts: economics, negotiation, innovation, leadership, sales, commerce and many others.
Starting in the first grade, the school administers the Measuring Academic Performance (MAP) test twice a year to ensure that students are achieving age-appropriate academic goals.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in XCL American Academy, XCL American Academy International School
Accommodation, meals, prices
Accommodation in the study area is not provided.
The institution cooperates with the catering company Mycelium Catering. The menu and food preparation are regulated by the owner of two Michelin stars - chef Emmanuel Stroobant. A team of chefs under his leadership provides students with healthy, balanced and delicious food every day. The dishes do not use nuts and other allergens, pork and lard, a large number of spices, including sugar. All portions are prepared in a modern on-campus kitchen and using fresh, locally sourced produce. Students can order dishes of different cuisines: vegetarian, Western and Asian. Children up to grade 4 need to regularly order food in advance, and students starting in grade 5 can visit the cafeteria and choose what is assigned to the daily menu.
Activities XCL American Academy, XCL American Academy International School
Leisure programs for students include full-scale courses in arts, sports, linguistics and the development of social qualities. Through a partnership with neighboring XCL World Academy, students will be able to engage in a variety of activities, including competitive and non-competitive sports, music, art, theater and dance, coding, and more.
The institution provides an advanced Chinese course that follows the primary school curriculum and focuses on developing listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills. It is adapted to children's abilities, offered as a core or elective module for all students who need additional help in learning the language.
The sports program covers both physical and psychological aspects of teaching a child a healthy lifestyle. Sections of team and individual sports, including football, netball, athletics and wrestling, are open to children.
The art program is also included in the regular school schedule. Attending classes in drawing, music, modeling, theatrical and musical business, students develop their personal qualities, character and self-confidence, allow ideas and ideas to be embodied.
The Pioneer Town program is designed to help students build their character and become literally the pioneers of tomorrow. Participation in this program during the formative years of intelligence and interests can profoundly influence a child's lifelong learning trajectory. The course includes lessons on six topics related to the Jump$tart Coalition on Personal Financial Literacy and Common Core Standards. Practical and fun classes are carefully planned to teach the basics of economics and strengthen cultural knowledge, geography, mathematics, science, literature and civics.
- Among the students are representatives of more than 10 nationalities,
- Most of the teachers are from North America and have the highest pedagogical qualifications: about 60% have received a master's degree,
- The ratio of teachers to children in the classroom is 1: 7-1: 28, depending on the school department,
- The number of students in the class is from 21 to 28,
- Accreditation of all programs, including IB.
Facilities and equipment at XCL American Academy, XCL American Academy International School
The institution's campus is located in the northeastern part of Singapore, in the Seletara and Yishun districts, about a 20-minute drive from the city center and the garden.
American Academy students have the opportunity to use both the territory of their school and the campus of a neighboring institution - XCL World Academy. Common facilities are:
- Bright and modern classrooms,
- 50-meter Olympic-sized swimming pool,
- Indoor heated swimming pool for children of the junior department,
- Assembly hall with a capacity of 750 people,
- A football field approved by the FIFA association and open in all weathers,
- Tennis courts with baseball and cricket equipment,
- 15-meter climbing wall,
- Large dining room,
- Arts & Music Studios,
- Center for Contemporary Design,
- Garage Esports Complex.
In the coming years, a three-story library building, a multi-purpose sports hall, and specialized classrooms using the latest technologies will be added to the existing infrastructure.
The school has partnerships with local transportation organizations, so it offers students buses that run throughout the island: they will take children to classes in the morning, and in the afternoon or evening they will take them home.
Admission dates and extra charges
The academic year lasts from August to June. All classes are organized on weekdays: Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 15:30. Activities can be held both on weekends and in the afternoons.
The list of additional expenses includes:
- Additional lessons in English EAL for grades 1-8 - 2550 S$ ($ 1920) per semester,
- Learning support for students in grades 1-8 - 1750 S$ ($ 1318) per semester,
- Use of technology - 243 S$ ($ 183) per semester,
- Application fee – 896 S$ ($675), including 9% VAT,
- Registration fee - 2503 S$ ($ 1885), including 9% VAT,
- School uniform - about 265 S$ ($ 200),
- Study trips with an overnight stay - from 665 to 4118 S$ (from 500 to 3100 $),
- Some extracurricular activities - up to 665 S$ (up to $ 500),
- Lunches and snacks - about 40 S$ ($ 30) per week,
- External exams,
The cost of the programs includes performance testing, basic academic materials and textbooks, bus transportation to school events.
The process of entering the school includes several important stages:
- Filling out and sending an online application, required documents,
- Payment of the application fee,
- Verification of the application: the admissions committee will select suitable questionnaires and invite candidates for a small test,
- Passing entrance examinations and family interviews,
- Receiving an official invitation,
- Payment of the entrance fee,
- Completion of registration.
After graduating from high school, students successfully move to high school at XCL World Academy for an IB, AP or American High School Diploma. They can also choose to enter any school they like in the UK, Canada or the USA, since the final results of training at XCL American Academy allow them to successfully continue their education in English-speaking institutions.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Admission to the school is carried out according to age criteria for each class: from 2 to 13 years. Future students must provide:
- Personal documents: passport, visa or residence permit, health insurance and vaccination card,
- Academic reports for the current and previous years of study,
- Certificate of English proficiency. The level of language skills will help admissions officers determine in advance whether a student needs study support.
Applications are accepted throughout the school year.
Scholarships XCL American Academy, XCL American Academy International School
Thanks to the cooperation with XCL World Academy, located next door, students who are particularly successful in their studies and extracurricular activities can apply for scholarships from this institution. The American Academy itself does not currently provide awards and material support.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about XCL American Academy, XCL American Academy International School
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.