- General education system in Switzerland
- Secondary education in Switzerland: programs, age for admission, language of instruction
- Preparatory programs before entering the University of Switzerland and Europe
- Higher Education in Switzerland
- Language courses in Switzerland for international students
- Getting a student visa to Switzerland
- TOP-6 prestigious and popular schools in Switzerland
Switzerland is one of the best countries for living, it always takes a leading position in the top rankings on living standards. Impeccable quality of education, rich nature, comfortable climate, developed culture, benevolent local people - all this attracts students from all over the world every year. There are a lot of students who want to study in Switzerland: more than 50 nationalities live and study here, and Swiss education is highly valued in the international market, which allows graduates of schools and universities to take a confident step towards a successful career.
Foreign students can start their education at any stage: from primary school to postgraduate education; In the educational institutions, together with the national educational system, the main international programs are presented.
General education system in Switzerland
The education system in Switzerland includes several foreign education programs - in this way it is possible to study in its territory at different departments:
- Swiss (Schweizer Maturität);
- British (GCSE , A-Level);
- American (High School Diploma, Advanced Placement);
- French (Diplome National du Brevet, French Baccalaureate);
- German (Das Deutsche Abitur);
- Italian (Esame di Stato).
Secondary education in Switzerland: programs, age for admission, language of instruction
In Switzerland, the bilingual system of education is widespread: both studies can be conducted in two languages simultaneously, which is very common among foreign students who want to learn several foreign languages at once.
Available European educational systems after 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th grades:
- at the Swiss branch, foreign students start education from 7th grade and continue their studies to 12th grade - after graduation they receive the Swiss matriculation certificate Schweizer Maturität. Education is provided in German, French, English or several languages at the same time.
- The German program Das Deutsche Abitur receives students from 16 years: a two-year course allows to level the difference between the 11- and 13-year educational cycles, the education is carried out in German.
- at the French department, foreign students can continue their studies after 8th, 9th grades - they pass the exam at the end to receive the French Baccalaureat matriculation certificate and can additionally prepare for the TOEFL, Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English, Cambridge Advanced English, Advanced Placement Program SAT I & II.
- at the Italian branch in Switzerland, students undergo a curriculum in Italian, and at the end they take the state examination Esame di Stato. There are 2 types of diploma: with a natural science bias (Maturità Scientifica) and a linguistic bias (Maturità Linguistica).
Schools with middle-class programs in English are more common and available in most private schools, some of which offer full board or half board accommodation.
English-language programs in Switzerland after 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th grades:
- High School Diploma, Advanced placement.
Preparatory programs before entering the University of Switzerland and Europe
You can enter the university after the following stages of education:
- graduation from high school;
- passing the pre-university program.
Graduates of secondary schools in Switzerland, if there are enough points in academic subjects and with a high level of knowledge of a foreign language, have the right to enroll in a number of universities around the world immediately after graduation.
In high school for students are given the freedom to choose the core subjects: it helps students to prepare for entering the university for a certain specialty; If the student has not yet decided on the future profession, he chooses objects of interest.
There are pre-university courses for foreign students who help prepare for admission to higher education institutions for the undergraduate program, and one of the most popular in Switzerland is the International Foundation. This course comes after 11th grade, graduates of schools over 17 years, the duration is usually 2 semesters.
Examples of schools and universities with the International Foundation program:
- IFM University of Finance and Management (Geneva) is a popular university in the field of business education, cost per term - from 6,500 ₣;
- Surval Montreux (Montreux) is an elite school for girls with the possibility of learning English or French, the price for a trimester is 24,250 ₣.
Higher Education in Switzerland
Organization of studies in universities:
- undergraduate degree;
- master's degree;
- doctoral studies.
The main directions in the universities are hotel and tourist business, management, finance, restaurant business. In Switzerland, higher education is distributed not only in English, but also in French.
- For example, the Ecole Hoteliere de Lausanne (Lausanne), the hotel management institute, provides education in both English and French. The educational institution has partner agreements with many Swiss, European and world companies, organizing internships, internships and subsequent employment for students. The cost of studying under the bachelor's program is from 19,475 ₣ / year, magistracy - from 34,890 ₣ / 16 months.
- The duration of the undergraduate degree is 3 years, but at the European University (EU) the undergraduate curriculum can be reduced to 2 years if the student is willing to continue intensive education in the summer months. The cost is from 13,550 ₣ / semester.
Language courses in Switzerland for international students
For studying abroad you do not need to have a high level of knowledge of a foreign language - simultaneously with an academic program you can attend linguistic courses. Before entering the educational institutions, many students enter the language schools: this allows you to break down the language barrier or even begin to study academic subjects.
Getting a student visa to Switzerland
To apply, the student applies personally to the visa center: this matter must be taken care of in advance in order to have time to get permission to enter the country before the start of the school year or program. Among the necessary documents: confirmation of enrollment from the educational institution, a letter of guarantee from the sponsor, confirmation of payment of expenses, school certificates, diplomas, certificates (translated into English, French, German or Italian).
Depending on the purpose of the visit to Switzerland, Embassy employees have the right to request the applicant to take the language exam to confirm his level of knowledge of the foreign language.
In Switzerland, there are 2 types of visas: category C and D. Type D visa is required for students who are sent for education and the duration of their trip will be more than 90 days - for example, if a foreign student plans to visit long-term language courses, study a full academic year or even several years. For students of short-term programs (lasting less than 90 days) a type C visa is eligible.
TOP-6 prestigious and popular schools in Switzerland
- College Du Leman (Geneva) - boarding school is one of the largest authoritative schools in Switzerland, where education in bilingual system (English and French) is available. The cost of education is 42,500 ₣ / semester. Available school programs for the British, American, Swiss, French education system.
- St. Georges School Montreux (Montreux) is one of the TOP-50 boarding schools in the country: 100% of graduates enter the prestigious universities of the world, the institution is distinguished by a high level of academic education of foreign students. Available middle classes in English, GCSE, International Baccalaureate Diploma, the cost of education - from 94,760 ₣ / year.
- Institut auf dem Rosenberg (St. Gallen) is the best boarding school in the German-speaking part of Switzerland, the tuition fee is from 28,000 ₣ / trimester. Programs: Abitur, Maturita Italiana, Swiss Matura Diploma, GCSE, A-level, AP, High School Diploma.
- Institut Monte Rosa (Montreux) is included in the TOP-5 of prestigious family-type schools in the country: here you can get a quality European education, for example, under the programs of primary and secondary classes, GCSE, A-level, Advanced Placement, visit language summer and winter courses, prepare for linguistic exams. The cost of education is from 20,300 ₣ / trimester.
- Champittet College (Lausanne) is a private school with a full board or half board. Available programs: primary and secondary classes in English, Swiss Federal Maturite, French Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate and academic French courses. The tuition fee for the academic program is from 19,530 ₣ / trimester, academic French from 16,680 ₣ / trimester.
- Surval Montreux (Montreux) is a boarding school for girls with high school programs in English, GCSE, A-Level, International Foundation. The price of education is from 86,000 ₣ / year.