Upper Madison College (UMC) High School
Description of Upper Madison College (UMC) High School
- Location: Toronto, Canada,
- Language of instruction: English,
- Type: mixed.
High School in Upper Madison College (UMC) is a school for students in grades 6-12, accredited by the Ontario Ministry of Education. The main specializations of the programs are the fields of business, engineering, medical sciences, design, and others.
The experienced teaching staff ensures that students not only gain admission to leading universities and higher education, but also acquire the necessary skills to do so. Educators implement an experiential learning model that allows students to learn both in and out of the classroom: in the campus courtyard, on field trips and events, internships, and elective circles.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Upper Madison College (UMC) High School
Accommodation, meals, prices
Students are given two accommodation options to choose from: residences or host family homes.
Bishop Residence is a residential complex for male and female students. It is located in North York, on Bishop Avenue:
- Room types: single, double, triple and quadruple,
- Fully furnished rooms,
- Three meals a day: breakfasts, lunches and dinners,
- Shared bathrooms,
- Student living room and dining room,
- Free Wi-Fi,
- Daily transfer to and from the school during class hours,
- Cleaning of the premises every week,
- Laundry service is available at an additional cost.
The cost of monthly accommodation ranges from $ 1200 to $ 1600 CAD depending on the type of room.
Centennial Place Student Residence is a residence with modern rooms, a round-the-clock fitness center, lounge areas and regularly held themed events. The residential building is located in Scarborough, on Progress Avenue:
- Fully furnished single apartments,
- Two meals a day: lunches and dinners,
- Shared bathrooms,
- Laundry for an additional fee,
- Student living room and dining room,
- Free Wi-Fi,
- Daily transfer to and from the school during class hours for $180 CAD per month.
The cost of placement per month is $1600 CAD.
Accommodation in host families is ideal for foreign students: regular education of conversational English skills, study of the culture and life of local residents, homely atmosphere. Family houses offer single rooms with shared bathrooms, three meals a day, weekly laundry and cleaning. Lunches are packed so that the student can eat it in the educational building between classes. The cost of living in a host family is $1250 CAD per month.
Activities Upper Madison College (UMC) High School
Due to the school's location in central urban areas, students have the opportunity to develop their interests in a variety of ways: volunteering, student council, theme clubs, monthly trips, leadership events and excursions to local attractions.
More than 20 student clubs are open on campuses, some of them are:
- Student Council,
- Math competitions,
- Fashion & Design,
- Natural Sciences, Ecology,
- Cryptocurrency, e-finance,
- Yoga and Pilates.
Students engaged in charity and looking for volunteer opportunities can participate in the actions of the institutions with which the school cooperates:
- Fundraising at St John & Rehabilitation Center,
- Terry Fox Fundraising,
- Toronto Public Library,
- Canadian International Faith and Family Film Festival,
- Willoudale Pentecostal Church,
- DNA Information Conference,
- Canadian Cultural Centre.
Several times a month, UMC employees organize excursions to the sights of Toronto:
- CN Tower,
- Toronto Zoo,
- Royal Ontario Museum,
- Science Centre of Ontario,
- Harbourfront Center,
- Art Gallery,
- "Canada's Wonderland",
- International Food Festival,
- Program accreditation by the Ontario Ministry of Education,
- More than 15 nationalities among the students,
- 98% of students enroll in the university of their choice,
- Several accommodation options,
- The possibility of virtual learning.
Facilities and equipment at Upper Madison College (UMC) High School
The school has two state-of-the-art campuses in Toronto, both located in safe, green areas of the city, providing quick access to public transport, attractions, cafes and restaurants. The total area of the study area is 33,500 sq. ft. and can accommodate about 500 students.
The main campus is in the Greater Toronto Area:
- More than 20 classrooms,
- Student lounge,
- Multidisciplinary laboratory,
- Outdoor sports grounds for basketball, football, baseball,
- Car park.
The second campus is located in Eglinton. The two-storey educational building provides modern infrastructure:
- More than 25 classrooms,
- Student canteen,
- Rest and self-study rooms,
- Computer laboratory.
UMC has a bus fleet – transfers that take students to study every day, and after classes take them home.
Admission dates and extra charges
The academic year at UMC is divided into three semesters:
An approximate list of additional costs:
- Accommodation and meals: residence or home of the host family,
- Placement fee – 200-250 $ CAD,
- Security deposit (refundable) - $ 500 CAD,
- Deposit for keys in the residence (refundable if the key is not lost) - $ 50 CAD,
- School bus – $180-260CAD per month,
- Administrative fee upon admission - $ 500 CAD,
- Bank fee – $35 CAD,
- Notarization of documents — $250 CAD.
- Filling out the online application form,
- Submission of the application and the required documents,
- Receipt of confirmation of acceptance and invoice,
- Applying for a Study Permit
- Payment of registration fees on the invoice,
- Granting a study permit or POE, a confirmed airline ticket,
- Receipt of a letter of final acceptance for education,
- Arrival at campus.
Graduates of the school, judging by the statistics over the past few years, in 98% enter the university of their choice within six months after graduation from UMC.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
For admission, applicants must provide:
- Personal documents: birth certificate and passport, health insurance and vaccination certificate, visa or residence permit in Canada,
- Certificate confirming knowledge of the English language: IELTS from 5.5,
- Academic report for the last three academic years,
- Individual achievements, subject to availability.
All documents must be translated into English.
Admission is possible in autumn and spring.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Upper Madison College (UMC) High School
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.