Canada is a country where wildlife occupies most of the territory. Tourists go to this country to get unforgettable sensations from the beauty of lakes, woods, mountains - and at the same time get a prestigious and quality education in schools, colleges or universities. Wildlife borders on the modern and civilized world: in Canada there is a huge number of scientists and researchers who have contributed to the development of the whole world. Most often, foreign students choose the following cities for study:
Foreign students should definitely visit the top natural attractions:
- Niagara Falls;
- Banff national park;
- reserve "Jasper";
- Canadian Cordilleras;
- Yoho National Park;
- National Park "Thousand Islands".
Education system in Canada
According to the Canadian legislation for students compulsory education is established from 6-7 years to 15 years in school, which are of 2 types: private and public. Among foreign students, private schools are more popular. Types of schools:
- half board;
- school with a day visit.
- pre-school education - kindergartens (4-6 years);
- primary classes (6-12 years);
- middle classes (12-16 years);
- senior classes (16-18 years).
The country has 2 official languages: English and French. This fact attracts foreign students to study in language schools of a foreign language to choose from, in addition it gives the opportunity to study in the school and university in 2 languages at once (bilingual education).
Education in Canada after 6th, 7th, 8th grades
Those wishing to study in Canada after 6, 7 ,8 grades are enrolled in the middle classes of the Canadian school, where students study compulsory subjects and subjects to choose from. Every year the number of compulsory ones decreases and the students get the opportunity to independently compile their curriculum, to choose those directions that interest them.
The main subjects of the middle classes:
- English, French;
- physical culture and sports;
- natural sciences (biology, chemistry, physics);
- social science;
- history of Canada;
- civil law and rights;
- the science of health;
- vocational guidance.
Education in Canada after 9th, 10th, 11th grades
After the end of the 9th, 10th or 11th grades in their country, foreign students can continue their studies in Canada and combine high school education with a preparatory program for admission to the university. At this stage of schooling, students have a wide selection of core subjects, and the end of the senior classes by students is confirmed by the diploma of Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
Types of programs for students from 16 to 18 years:
- International Baccalaureate - an international university preparation program is accepted and appreciated by many universities around the world;
- High-School Diploma + Advanced Placement is a high-school program with in-depth study of core subjects: during the school year students earn educational credits, which are taken into account when enrolling in a university.
Education in Canada after 11th grade
At Canadian universities, foreign students can apply immediately after the end of 11th grade: this is a unique opportunity, since for admission to most foreign universities it is necessary to attend preparatory courses. If a foreign student is not confident in his academic or linguistic knowledge, he can enroll in an international college after the 11th grade at a pre-university course. Preparatory programs in Canada:
- Transfer Program - a two-year course for students from 16 to 18 years. At the first stage of education, students learn a foreign language and adapt to the new education system, at the second stage they study profile subjects depending on the chosen direction and future profession, and after the successful completion of the program students can apply immediately to the second year of the bachelor's program. Price - from 18,000 CAD $ / year
- International Foundation is an international program, the duration of which depends on the level of the student's preparation; usually the duration is several semesters, the cost of education is from 5,000 CAD $ / semester. The curriculum provides for obtaining academic knowledge and improving the level of knowledge of a foreign language
- University Pathway Program - the program allows you to quickly fill in the gaps of language and academic knowledge, and after the end of the course you can be guaranteed admission to the university without entrance exams, the cost is from 1800 CAD $.
Higher education at Canadian universities
On the territory of Canada there is an Association - Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC), which controls the quality of education, it unites all the universities and colleges of the country.
If the level of knowledge of a foreign language is not sufficient for foreign students to understand the academic program at a university or school, they can attend language courses in parallel with their studies.
In accordance with world rankings, Canada has high positions in the quality of education and is appreciated by students from all over the world.
Top universities in Canada:
- University of Toronto
- Cape Breton University
- Royal Roads University
- MacEwan University
- University Canada West
- Simon Fraser University
- University of Manitoba.
Canadian laws allow foreign students to earn long-term programs while studying for 20 hours a week and undergo internships, and after graduation, stay for 1-2 years with a work permit.
How to enroll in Canadian schools for foreign students?
- take the language exam;
- report card for the last few years;
- pass an oral interview;
- prepare documents with translation into English;
- get a visa;
- find a local guardian;
- find housing.
Under the laws of the country, an international student under the age of 18 who wishes to study in Canada is required to have an official guardian in Canada and a confirmation of a guaranteed place to stay while studying.
Examples of popular academic institutions in Canada for students after 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th grades:
- Pickering College (Newmarket, Ontario) - A private prestigious coeducational school offers programs in elementary, middle and high school. In addition, it is possible to pass the program My Leadership Program - this program effectively develops the leadership qualities of each student. The diploma of the graduates of the school contains a point about education on this program (The Global Leadership Diploma).
- Notre Dame Catholic Secondary School (Burlington) - a prestigious Catholic high school is part of the Halton Catholic District School Board. In addition to school programs for high school students, the Specialist High Skills Major Program and Ontario Youth Apprenticehip programs are available, which are held in parallel with the main study and allow you to get a working specialty or to get skills in a specific field.
- Fraser International College is based on the prestigious Simon Fraser University. A pre-university transfer program is available here, after which the student is guaranteed a place in the Canadian university.
- Brookes Shawnigan Lake (Lake Shonigan, British Columbia) is a private boarding school with affordable middle-class programs (grades 7-12) and International Baccalaureate. The cost of education is from 47,500 CAD $ / year. Proximity to clean and large lakes opens wide opportunities for water and extreme sports.
- Braemar College (Toronto) is part of the University of Toronto. For students between the ages of 13 and 17, a senior program is available, and after completing the University Pathway Program, the student can enroll in one of the partner universities: Ryerson University, Durham College, University of Waterloo, George Brown College, York University.