Sharif University of Technology (SUT)
Description of Sharif University of Technology (SUT)
- Year of foundation: 1966;
- Location: Tehran, Iran;
- Students age: 17+;
- Number of students: 10,000;
- Language of instruction: Persian;
- University type : state;
- Form of study: mixed;
- Accommodation type: residence, apartments.
Sharif University of Technology (SUT) is a leading university in the physical sciences and engineering in Iran. The university opened its doors in 1966, based on the methodology and traditions of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
SUT consistently ranks in the top 5% of the best universities in the world in international academic rankings. The Technological University is recognized as one of the best in the field of "Informatics" and is on the 101st line in the world ranking by this criterion.
List of university faculties:
- Institute of Petrochemical Engineering;
- Academy of Civil Engineering;
- Mathematical Sciences;
- School of Electrical Engineering;
- Institute of Materials Science and Engineering;
- Aerospace Engineering;
- Institute of Computer Engineering;
- School of Electrical Engineering;
- Institute of Mechanical Engineering;
- Industrial Engineering;
- Management and economics;
- Institute of the Philosophy of Science.
Among the graduates of the university there are many outstanding personalities: for example, the first female mathematician to be awarded the Fields Medal was a professor of mathematics at Stanford University. Akbar Torkan - ex-prime minister of transport, Mohammad Ali Najafi, ex-prime minister of higher education, music composer Peiman Yazdanyan and many others.
The university's place in world rankings:
- ARWU World = 501–600 (2020);
- CWTS World = 369 (2020);
- QS World = 409 (2021);
- THE World = 401–500 (2021);
- USNWR Global = 646 (2021).
About the university in numbers:
- 10,000 students, more than half are enrolled in master's and doctoral studies;
- One third of students are women;
- 40,000 graduates;
- 468 teachers (38% of professors, 22% of senior teachers, 36% of associate professors, 4% of lecturers);
- 9 engineering divisions;
- 3 scientific departments;
- 16 research centers.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Sharif University of Technology (SUT)
Accommodation, meals, prices
The university has several hostels for international students, all residences are located near the campus. Rooms are mainly designed for 4-5 people, common rooms - bathrooms, kitchens and study areas.
To foreign students work separate houses, in which international settle in the 1-2-bed rooms.
Activities Sharif University of Technology (SUT)
List of interest clubs:
- Theater school;
- Cinema club;
- Information Technology;
- Math circle;
- English language club.
List of sport sections:
- Martial arts;
Facilities and equipment at Sharif University of Technology (SUT)
The educational institution conducts scientific research that is significant for society and succeeds significantly in this, largely due to the high level of infrastructure. Fifteen research centers operate on the basis of the university, including:
- Center for Advanced Communication Technologies;
- Observatory "Alborz" for observing gamma rays and cosmic rays;
- Center for Biochemistry and Bioecology;
- School of Entrepreneurship;
- Academy of Industrial Economics;
- Institute of Energy Technologies;
- Institute of Ecology;
- School of Industrial Systems;
- Academy of Nanotechnology;
- Center for Applied Physics. Sharif;
- School of Oceanology and Water Resources.
The student infrastructure includes:
- Library center;
- Health center;
- Center for Languages and Linguistics;
- SUT Avicenna Building;
- Student union;
- Innovation club.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Requirements for applicants:
- High School Certificate or Bachelor's / Master's Degree;
- Entry exams;
- Copy of the passport.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Sharif University of Technology (SUT)
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.