Iran University of Medical Sciences
Description of Iran University of Medical Sciences
The State Iranian University of Medical Sciences was founded in 1974 as the Padishah Medical Center to provide training for a government hospital in Tehran. Since then, the university has come a long way; students and teachers are entrusted with the duties and responsibilities for the medical care of the four million people living in the capital region.
In 2010, it was merged with the Medical University of Tehran, but three years later it restored its independence and retains the status of one of the most prestigious and respected higher educational institutions engaged in medical training and specialized research.
He was a pioneer in nursing and midwifery in Iran, establishing the country's first Nursing Research Center. In 2014, it was recognized as the World Health Organization's Centre for Collaboration on Nursing and Midwifery Education and Research by joining the WHO global network.
The second in Iran received international accreditation ASIC - the international quality standard for higher education. Since 2002 it is a member of the International Association of Universities under the patronage of UNESCO.
Languages of instruction: Farsi or English (for bachelors).
Faculties and colleges
Structurally divided into 10 faculties, or schools:
- nursing and midwifery;
- public health;
- health management and information technology;
- mental health and behavioral sciences;
- advanced medical technologies;
- related medical sciences;
- medicine and pharmacy.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Iran University of Medical Sciences
Accommodation, meals, prices
Foreign applicants after admission can count on a hostel. The rooms are equipped with a bed, sofa, work space, microwave and refrigerator, TV and wireless internet access. On the floor there is a laundry room and a shower room, a kitchen for cooking with basic kitchen appliances and utensils.
Meals can be organized independently or in the university canteen (approximate monthly expenses in this case will be $ 100-150).
- The Iranian University of Medical Sciences is among the top 500-600 universities in the world according to the latest World Times ranking (2022), 102nd in the ranking and 111 in the Young University Rankings 2022;
- Ranked sixth in the world on the Welfare and Health Impact Index (2021);
- IUMS students have incredibly wide opportunities for practical classes and applied research; 19 public hospitals operate under the patronage of the university in various parts of Iran
- Since 1994, he has published his monthly medical journal in Farsi, since 2004 - a four-year almanac in English called "Annals of Iranian Medicine";
- Actively participates in erasmus Mundus Marhaba and Erasmus+ projects;
- There are 8.2 students per teacher. The share of foreign students exceeds 4%, and gender balance is maintained among applicants: 58% of men account for 42% of women.
Under the patronage of the university there are 5 research institutes dealing with the following issues:
- Immunity, immunology and virology, prevention of the spread of infectious diseases;
- Endocrinology and metabolism studies;
- Prevention of social harm;
- Health Management;
- Sensitive health.
Also, under the auspices of the university, there are more than 50 laboratories and research groups of various orientations.
Facilities and equipment at Iran University of Medical Sciences
At the disposal of students there is a library with 400 thousand volumes of specialized literature in Farsi, Arabic and English, subscription to more than 900 periodicals and continuing publications of various profiles in 17 languages, access to online databases and subscription resources.
Modern equipment of laboratories and research centers is complemented by the capacities of 17 educational medical institutions of various profiles - from pediatrics to oncology.
Students have the opportunity to practice sports for free at one of the 11 sports grounds, an open-air stadium or in one of the four sports halls for team games; for a small fee, a subscription to the pool is organized.
Admission dates and extra charges
The academic year consists of 2 semesters: autumn begins in September, spring - in January. The examination session falls at the end of May or the beginning of June.
Students are enrolled twice a year, in September and January. Applications can be submitted at any time and will be considered before the next stage of enrollment.
The applicant must submit an application in electronic form. The term of the initial consideration of the application is 3 days: in case of preliminary approval, the application will be redirected to the appropriate school. In case of successful consideration of the application , the applicant will be asked to confirm consent by sending a completed Visa Study Form to the admissions office to process your entry student visa. The university administration warns about the inadmissibility of entering Iran for educational purposes on a tourist visa.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
At the time of enrollment, students must be at the age of seventeen; with the permission of parents or guardians, it is possible to enroll students whose seventeenth birthday will come before December 31 in the year of admission;
Students must demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and score 50% or more in physics, chemistry and biology (CBSE/ICSE, or equivalent). Students are also required to take NEET exams to be enrolled.
Scholarships Iran University of Medical Sciences
Scholarships cover from 25% to 100% of the tuition fee. To apply for a scholarship, you must submit an application to the administration of the educational institution. The decision is made on a combination of a number of factors:
- Current academic performance (the average score is taken into account, as well as the points obtained at the previous stages of training);
- Certificates of English language proficiency (an active IELTS Academic certificate is required with a score of at least 5.5 or its equivalent in TOEFL iBT (minimum 69) or TOEFL PBT (minimum 525);
- Academic, artistic or sports distinctions, confirmed by certificates of national or international standard;
- Availability and number of publications (it is necessary to provide a copy of the first page, including the title, author and synopsis).
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Iran University of Medical Sciences
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.