MPW College Birmingham Summer School
Description of MPW College Birmingham Summer School
- Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom
- MPW was founded: 1997
- Language of instruction: English
- Number of students: 59 people
- Number of students per class: up to 8 people
- Age range: 13-18 years old
- Type of education: mixed.
MPW College with the full name Mander Portman Woodward is a group of independent British colleges that act as an alternative to the traditional school. The college has campuses in three cities: London, Cambridge, Birmingham. They teach a wide range of A level courses, GCSE, giving the opportunity to study only those subjects that are interesting to the student.
The programme at Birmingham Summer School gives students the opportunity to gain a balanced mix of academic skills, life experience in the very best form of British education. The student can choose one of three streams, based on his own interests:
- Social sciences
- Academic English.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in MPW College Birmingham Summer School
Accommodation, meals, prices
Students live in modern dormitories in the city center within walking distance to the academic campus. Residential buildings are located in two areas:
- Greenfield Crescent is located in close proximity to MPW and is a group of apartments equipped in two buildings.
- Edgbaston Studios is a residential block ten minutes walk from the school.
Parents have the opportunity to live with students: all bedrooms can accommodate a double bed. The rooms are pre-furnished: beds, wardrobe, desk. Bedrooms with private bathrooms are available for an extra charge of £200 per course.
Students are provided with three meals a day, taking into account their dietary needs, medical restrictions. In the mornings, students are served cereals, fruit, toast, croissants. Lunch is a à la carte or buffet. Three-course meal kits are prepared daily for dinner. Each week, staff accompany groups of students to local restaurants to explore local cuisine.
Activities MPW College Birmingham Summer School
The leisure programme is held after 15:00 from Monday to Friday. It includes visits to public places:
- Ice rinks
- Escape rooms
- Trampoline centers
- Golf Club
- Restaurants, cafes
- Movie Nights
- Themed discos.
In the middle of the weekend, groups of students of each course travel on two-day tours:
- Bath is a historic city with a rich tourist experience, a large number of attractions
- London with a visit to the Tower, the "London Eye", walks through the city center
- York – excursions to world-class museums, art galleries.
The cost of trips includes hotel accommodation, guided tours, meals.
Every week on Wednesdays, students visit local businesses to get acquainted with various industries:
- Jaguar Automobile Plant
- Cadbury World – chocolate production
- JCB Plant – Engineering Developments
- Alton Towers – lectures on tourism
- World of Wedgwood – Woodworking Industrial Plant
- Land Rover Automobile Plant – robotics, welding, the process of creating cars.
- 30% of students are foreigners
- Personal tutors for each student
- Cooperation with the subsidiary of Eton College - EtonX.
Facilities and equipment at MPW College Birmingham Summer School
Birmingham is the UK's second largest city, providing a lively, modern, diverse place to experience a unique summer school experience.
The institution provides a free shuttle service from major UK airports to each MPW campus. Students are accompanied by staff at every stage: arrival, registration, check-in, education, departure home.
The MPW campus is located near the city center, which provides easy access to attractions, residential buildings, classrooms, airports.
The road to the nearest airports takes:
- Birmingham City – 20 minutes
- Manchester – 1.25 hours
- East Midlands – 40 minutes.
Admission dates and extra charges
MPW has a special approach to education: students are divided into classes of 8-10 people. Each student collaborates with a personal tutor who provides a high level of personal care, develops a unique plan for the progress of learning.
The student can choose one of three academic streams, each of which includes four subjects. Each week, students choose new modules to study.
After graduating from summer school, students have 12 months to access their EtonX courses in an online format.
Approximate schedule of the day:
- 9:00-12:30 – academic lessons (15 hours per week for each subject)
- 13:30-15:00 – life skills block developed in conjunction with EtonX (10 hours per week for each subject).
Life skills are entrepreneurship, oratory, development of sustainability, attention, creativity, critical thinking.
Sample course schedule:
- 1st year: June 26-July 9
- 2 year: 10 July-23 July
- 3rd year: July 24-August 6.
Students have the opportunity to attend courses in any sequence, enrolling in them for 2, 4 or 6 weeks.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Applicants can enroll in MPW by passing an interview where they will be offered an individualized study plan. Each beginner is provided with a personal assistant who provides support in the entrance exams, conducts expert advice.
Applications are accepted from mid-April to early June.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about MPW College Birmingham Summer School
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.