Mon-Fri 8-17, Sat-Sun 10-16
(UK time)
  • Services
    • Services and prices
    • Immigration and citizenship
    • Scholarships
    • Tutoring and preparation for schools, universities abroad
  • Information
  • Partnership
    • Group travel
    • For teachers
    • Terms of partnership (for agents)
    • Instructions (for agents)
    • FAQ (for agents)
    • For schools
    • Educational fairs
    • Advertising
  • Contacts
2018-07-30 11:56:44

Legalization of a school diploma or diploma for further study in Spain

Legalization of a school diploma or diploma for further study in Spain

Universities in Spain today are a quality and fairly accessible education: their doors are open not only to citizens of the country, but also to foreign students, including students from other countries. The universities of the country are quite prestigious, their diplomas are highly quoted in Europe and the world, they are an excellent help in building a successful career. For this, of course, certain efforts are required - after all, it is quite difficult to learn Spanish at a level sufficient for foreign studies, but all investments and efforts fully justify themselves.


One of the main difficulties faced by entrants is the correct preparation and execution of a package of documents - for admission and for a visa. The package of documents is quite comprehensive and voluminous, which is why it is recommended to begin appropriate training several months before the expected date of admission - and first of all legalize (homologize) the certificate of school education.

A school certificate, accepted together with the results of the Selectividad test (of the Selectividad training program in Spain), should include all earned marks on the disciplines that the student studied at school. The certificate is translated into Spanish, it must be apostilled (the international form of documentary certification) - and only after that it can be sent to the Ministry of Education of Spain. It is recommended to submit a document for homologation before the Selectividad test, since this process can take 6-12 months.

The homologation of the certificate can be omitted if the student plans to enter a private Spanish university, applies for a place in the Master or Doctorado programs, enters the MBA course. Also, the legalization of the certificate is not required for those students who are sent to study under the conditions of a student transfer between educational institutions.

Homologation of the diploma of higher education



The process of legalization of a diploma of higher education can be even longer - up to one and a half years. Also it is worth being prepared for the fact that for a full homologation of the diploma the student will be asked to pass several additional exams and tests that will confirm the high level of his qualification. Full recognition of the diploma is often enough - in this case, additional exams are not required, and the student receives the coveted diploma of higher education, designed in accordance with the Spanish model.


Refusal of legalization is very, very rare - much more often there is a situation when the diploma is partially recognized. In this situation, additional examinations are scheduled at the Spanish university (the number of tests in each case individually, usually 5-7, but maybe more). The options for surrender can be different - the student negotiates personally with the management of the designated university about the procedure for each exam.

All articles
Your comment / review / question
There are no comments here yet
Your comment / review
If you have a question, write it, we will try to answer
* - Field is mandatory
Egor Eremeev
Current material has been prepared by Egor Eremeev
Education: Westminster University (Business & Management), London.
Egor studied and lived in the UK for 8 years and graduated from the university of Westminster. He is currently the co-founder and the director of business development at Smapse Education and personally visits foreign schools and universities, interviews students studying in those institutions.
Callback Online consultant
Напишите нам, мы онлайн!