American University in Bulgaria
Description of American University in Bulgaria
- Established: 1991
- Location: Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria
- Language of instruction: English
- Number of students: 1,100
- Type of study: private university.
American University in Bulgaria (AUBG) is the first American educational institution specializing in the study of English and the humanities in Eastern Europe, a unique joint venture created with the support of the governments of the USA and Bulgaria, the Open Society Institute and the University of Maine. AUBG offers undergraduate programs in the humanities and awards a Bachelor of Arts (BA). The university invites Bulgarian and foreign students to the Executive MBA program at the Elieff Center for Culture and Education in Sofia.
American University in Bulgaria is a private, non-profit institution funded from independent sources (tuition, private donations, grants). It opened its doors in September 1991: then there were trained 208 students and 16 full-time teachers.
The university is located in the vibrant city of Blagoevgrad in southwestern Bulgaria - over the years it has become a space of academic research, creativity and cultural diversity. Currently, about 1,100 students from more than 40 countries are gathering together to live and study in a supportive and safe community, to receive a first-class American humanitarian education.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in American University in Bulgaria
Accommodation, meals, prices
The residences of American University in Bulgaria Skaptopara became the first student dormitories in Bulgaria. They serve as a temporary home for 900 students who are accommodated in double, triple rooms and studios. A strong supportive community has been created here: residences are a place for growth and development through extracurricular activities and facilities.
- Aerobics rooms
- Strength Exercise Rooms
- Music audiences
- Multifunctional spaces for work and communication
- Table tennis
- Several living rooms with TV
- Street tables and cafes.
On the basement floors there are dry cleaners with washing machines and tumble dryers, and laundry services are also available.
Cost of living:
- Skaptopara I, II - $ 1,440 / g.
- Skaptopara III - $ 1,780 / g.
All students live on campus for four years. Accommodation contracts are mandatory throughout the school year (with the exception of students whose permanent residence is Blagoevgrad).
A specially trained team of student consultants is always ready to offer help and advice to students, ensures safety. Residences offer access to medical facilities.
Activities American University in Bulgaria
Each semester, students take part in recreational and recreational activities: watching films and discussing them with professors, dance projects, sports and much more. Social departments in hostels conduct various events throughout the school year: Halloween and other holidays, seminars, themed costumed parties. Students prepare popular musical and theater performances, musicals, attend sports clubs, develop critical thinking skills, attending a series of guest lectures.
Students take part in excursions: Blagoevgrad is a lively and exciting city, as well as an ideal launching pad for trips to the mountains or resorts, to neighboring Greece or Macedonia.
- American University in Bulgaria allows residents of Bulgaria and the entire South European region to receive high-quality education in English, a diploma from the USA and the EU. The high quality of professional skills allows 99.8% of UBG graduates to find work or enter a master's program within a few months after completing the course, to achieve outstanding results in work and career advancement.
- The multicultural community is formed by students from 35+ countries, the best amenities in the region have been created here: comfortable, friendly, safe and high-tech environment.
- World-class teachers come from the best schools of five continents to create an innovative and real learning environment. AUBG students are free to choose their fields of study and combine study programs in the arts, humanities, business, and technology.
Facilities and equipment at American University in Bulgaria
The university has high-quality research and educational equipment, comfortable facilities for work and leisure.
Admission dates and extra charges
- Student fee - $ 630
- The cost of food in the student cafeteria is $ 1,200 / g.
- The cost of textbooks is $ 300
- Part-time students pay a deposit of $ 150 / semester, which is used to pay for meals in the dining room or cafeteria.
- Health insurance for foreigners - $ 120
- Visa fees - 100 €
- Obtaining a Bulgarian identity card for foreigners - 159BGN.
No additional fees are charged for using medical services, Internet services, technology laboratories, or consulting services.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Applicants present TOEFL results, a certificate of school education, are interviewed. The official TOEFL result must be sent by the ETS to the AUBG Admissions Office. Requirements for test results:
- IBT TOEFL - 80
- ITP TOEFL - 550
- IELTS - 6.5
- Cambridge English (FCE, CAE, CPE) - 180.
List of documents:
- Filled in application form
- The writing
- Decoding of the certificate
- Knowledge of English
- SAT / ACT Result (optional)
- Application for financial assistance (optional).
Date of acceptance of documents
March 1 - early admission, scholarships and financial assistance
June 1 - regular admission, financial assistance
October 1 - for non-European citizens
November 1 - for EU citizens
Scholarships American University in Bulgaria
AUB offers scholarships to needy and rewarding students, financial aid packages, on-campus jobs, government guaranteed loans, and summer work and travel programs that help most students fund their education. About 74% of program students receive some form of financial assistance.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about American University in Bulgaria
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.