Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education
Description of Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education
- Location: Dundee, Scotland
- Year of foundation: 2001
- Language of instruction: English
- Type: mixed.
Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education is a college sponsored by the Government of Dubai and the MINISTRY of Finance of the UAE. The institution, founded in 2001, is located in Scotland. Over more than 20 years, the college has undergone several educational reforms to currently provide students with only high-quality and modern programs.
Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education has partnered with the University of Dundee, Trinity College Dublin and the University of Abertau. Through partnerships, several master's degrees have been created on the college campus.
Since the foundation of the institution and until today, Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education is multinational – representatives of more than 30 different nationalities have already received diplomas or are still studying here.
Things to know about
- The college has its own publishing house.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education
Accommodation, meals, prices
The college does not have a student residence, but offers assistance in finding and renting accommodation in or around the city. Near the campus you can find residential complexes where apartments with several bedrooms, rooms in common apartments of homeowners or dormitories are rented.
The average price for a monthly stay near the campus is £ 135.
Activities Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education
The college has a student society that connects students and teachers, the leadership of the institution. Student activists take part in solving important issues of the campus, in organizing events.
Cultural and social activities form a key part of students' extracurricular activities. The campus hosts movie nights, food tastings of different nationalities, fundraisers for charity, volunteer work and much more. Such events encourage a sense of community, contribute to the formation of a friendly atmosphere.
- Partnerships with several major universities,
- Programmes recognised by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA), the UK Quality Assurance Agency (QAA).
- A large library with English and Arabic literature.
Facilities and equipment at Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education
Dundee is Scotland's fourth largest city, with up to 45,000 students each semester. It is also one of the most affordable cities in the UK in the ranking of housing prices for students of universities and colleges.
In Dundee, you can find many attractions: natural beauties, museums, science centers, theaters and much more.
The campus of the institution is located almost in the center of the city. On its territory are equipped:
- Lecture classes,
- Practical laboratories with specialized equipment for research,
- Sheikh Hamdan Library: a book depository with more than 23,000 volumes, a department of Arabic literature, reading rooms,
- Computer labs with PCs and laptops,
- Self-study areas in the Student Center,
- Recreation areas both in the courtyard and in the building,
- Sports halls for individual education, games and competitions.
Students have the opportunity to store textbooks and personal belongings on campus by requesting a locker rental.
Admission dates and extra charges
There are several semesters in the academic year. Autumn:
- Studies: September 12-November 14,
- Exams: 21 November-12 December,
- Holidays: December 19-23, January 2-9.
- Studies: 16 January-20 March,
- Exams: March 27-April 10,
- Vacation: April 10-16.
- Studies: April 17-June 19,
- Exams: June 26-July 3,
- Vacation: July 3-August 28.
Classes are held from Monday to Friday, weekends - Saturday, Sunday.
- Accommodation, meals off-campus,
- Annual student fees,
- Locker rental – £ 10 (returned upon return of the key),
- Books, consumables as needed,
- Public transport, leisure in the city,
- Personal spending.
Step-by-step admission to Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education:
- Fill out an online application by attaching the required documents. It will be considered within three working days.
- Expect feedback from the admissions committee, as well as an invitation to a short informal interview.
- Pass an interview and an entrance test.
- Expect official enrollment.
Since the foundation of the college, the alumni association has more than 1700 people, among whom more than 30 nationalities are represented. Former students of the institution are now successful in various fields of personality, who graduated from universities in the UK, USA and Canada.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Each program has its own requirements, but all foreign applicants must provide:
- Personal documents: passport, visa or residence permit, medical insurance,
- Certificate of the previous stage of education or assessment report card for the last two academic years,
- Results of the English or Arabic language test. Lower threshold of English-language tests: IELTS (from 5.0), GCSE (class C).
The passing score of the entrance test is not lower than 65 out of 100.
Scholarships Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education
To encourage successful students, two scholarships are provided:
- Award for Academic Excellence,
- Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum scholarship based on the student's personal circumstances (e.g. financial difficulties).
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.