University for Development Studies
Description of University for Development Studies
- Established: 1992
- Location: Tamale, Ghana
- Language of instruction: English
- Type: state.
University for Development Studies was founded in 1992 by the government of Ghana. The main goal of creating a university was to solve social problems through the active participation of a higher educational institution.
The basis of the student body is young people who are experiencing financial difficulties. This is reflected in programs (they have a large practical focus), on the timing and emphasis of educational activities. So, students of all specialties spend the entire third year doing fieldwork: they live a whole year in a certain region of Ghana, work in the field, and provide medical assistance to the local population. This is the main mission of the university - “Title through Ministry”.
Key principles of the University for Development Studies :
- The university should be home to students from all over the world, united in their desire to help those in need
- Education of students as socially responsible and qualified specialists
- The programs are constantly being modernized in order to ensure a high-quality level of education and attract students.
The university consists of 4 buildings:
- At Nyankpal in northwestern Ghana
- Faculty of Applied Mathematics is located in eastern Navrongo
- The main campus is located in Tamale, where most of the faculties are located.
- The School of Business and Law is located in the city of Va.
University for Development Studies publishes four periodicals:
- Ghanaian journal of research and development
- Journal of Medical and Biomedical Sciences
- International Development Journal
- International Journal of Irrigation and Agriculture.
The most popular departments among applicants:
- Planning and land management
- Natural Resources and Ecology
- Applied Chemistry and Biology
- Applied Mathematics
- Earth and geological sciences
In the University for Development Studies, you can get two specialties at once. On some programs, distance learning is available.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in University for Development Studies
Accommodation, meals, prices
All full-time students are offered a place in the hostel, which is located on the territory of all four campuses. The rooms are designed for four people, accommodation and internet are charged separately.
- Small study groups
- A lot of practice
- All freshmen undergo a compulsory medical examination at a university clinic
- Regular events, excursions, trips, competitions
- Qualified teaching staff
- Students and teachers annually conduct a course of field lectures on personal growth in African countries.
Facilities and equipment at University for Development Studies
All four campuses of the University for Development Studies are equipped with the necessary equipment and have a modern material and technical base.
On the basis of the university there are:
- Resilience Research Center
- Center for Business Innovation and Incubation
- West African Center for Excellence in Water, Irrigation and Agriculture
- School of rural transformation
- Spanish laboratory complex
- French multimedia school.
Students use an extensive library, reading rooms, sports complexes, canteens.
Admission dates and extra charges
Almost all programs have a system of year-round education. Additional costs include payment of room and board.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
In order to become a student at the University for Development Studies , an applicant must provide:
- Certificate of general secondary education
- Motivation letter.
In addition, applicants pass mandatory entrance exams in mathematics, a liberal arts subject of choice and English.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about University for Development Studies
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.