SILC Sydney Institute of Language and Commerce in Shanghai
Description of SILC Sydney Institute of Language and Commerce in Shanghai
- Location: Shanghai, China
- Year of foundation: 1994
- Language of instruction: Chinese, English
- Number of students: more than 3500
- Type of training: mixed.
SILC (Sydney Institute of Language and Commerce) Business School in Shanghai (SHU-UTS SILC) is one of the first business schools founded jointly by Shanghai University and Sydney University of Technology in 1994. In the next few years after its founding, the school offered only English language courses. Today, SHU-UTS SILC offers more than 80 bachelor's degree programs, 221 master's programs, about 117 doctoral specialties in various fields: natural, humanities and social sciences, engineering, economics and management, etc.
About 3500 students study at the university, among whom about 400 foreigners are admitted to programs annually. The teaching staff consists of more than 160 teachers and administrative staff.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in SILC Sydney Institute of Language and Commerce in Shanghai
Accommodation, meals, prices
On the territory of the educational campus there are several residential buildings. Places in them are distributed according to the list, often students are forced to rent apartments or rooms off-campus.
The cost of living per day ranges from 30 to 100 yuan per day, depending on the room: single, double or quadruple. Accommodation in a university guest house will cost 350 yuan per day.
Activities SILC Sydney Institute of Language and Commerce in Shanghai
Each student can find a club according to their interests. Students volunteer and participate in a variety of artistic activities, both on campus and in the city. National teams and teams defend the honor of the university at inter-university competitions in team sports, and scientific clubs present their work at conferences and seminars.
State and university holidays are regularly celebrated on campus: freshman balls, Student Day, New Year's Day and much more. In the dormitories almost every evening there are film screenings, meetings of the literary club.
Every foreign student has the opportunity to increase the level of knowledge of the Chinese language in the courses.
SILC bachelors can apply for exchange studies lasting one semester or a year. Sites for study are universities in different countries: the USA, the Netherlands, Sweden, the UK, etc. For internships, students are offered jobs in the largest companies: Volkswagen, Continental Corporation, Labcare Scientific China Limited, etc.
- Several awards from the Chinese government
- First Chinese-foreign school to receive AACSB accreditation
- Ranked among the top 40 Chinese universities, 100 best Asian universities
- Shanghai Major University
- Member of the China Project 211
- More than 400 foreigners enter annually
- 28 exchange agreements allowing students to study in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Spain, the UK, the USA and seven other countries.
Facilities and equipment at SILC Sydney Institute of Language and Commerce in Shanghai
SILC has three academic buildings: Wenbo, Wenshang, Wenda, as well as:
- Wenhui Administrative Building
- Off-campus learning building
- A major recreation and sports center Xingjian.
The interior design of the academic building embodies a strong internationalization and a diverse elegant cultural environment among students. All classrooms are equipped with air conditioning, multimedia equipment. SILC has many advanced business laboratories, voice training centers. The Student Study Centre, which is located on the ground floor of the Wende building, is large, bright and comfortable. It is open around the clock so that students can study independently, hold meetings of clubs. The Xingjian Recreation and Sports Centre includes:
- Outdoor areas for badminton, football, basketball
- Table tennis rooms
- Dance Studios
- Ballroom with multimedia stage
- Indoor swimming pool.
Also on campus are located:
- Canteens, cafeterias
- University Hospital
- Computer Center
- Administrative offices.
Admission dates and extra charges
The academic year contains two semesters, lasting from autumn to mid-summer. The program includes both basic and specialized subjects with in-depth study. Holidays are provided in winter and summer.
- Accommodation – 30-350 RMB/day
- Food – 1500-2500 yuan/month
- Transport – 3-10 yuan per trip, depending on the mode of transport
- Medical care
- Insurance, visa extension – 1200-1600 yuan/year
- Rent of premises
- Books, consumables for study
- Personal expenses – about 3300-5500 yuan/month
- Annual technology contributions.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Each applicant must provide:
- Personal documents: passport, visa, medical insurance, etc.
- School Leaving Certificate/Diploma of previous level of education
- Transcripts of exams taken
- GPA 2,5-4
- Knowledge of English not lower than IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL iBt 90
- Knowledge of Chinese not lower than HSK 5
- For those with a bachelor's degree: two letters of recommendation, an essay on further plans for training.
Before the start of some programs, entrance tests are held. It is better to submit documents from the beginning of January to the end of June in order to start studying in September.
Scholarships SILC Sydney Institute of Language and Commerce in Shanghai
The main funding for successful students is a scholarship from the Shanghai government, which fully covers the program of study, accommodation on campus and health insurance.
The SCHOLARSHIP for new international students SILC covers the first year of the program. No need to apply for funding – participants are selected from a list of applicants.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about SILC Sydney Institute of Language and Commerce in Shanghai
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.