Description of Shanghai University
- Year of foundation: 1922;
- Location: Shanghai, China;
- Students age: from 18 years;
- Number of students: 35,217 people;
- Language of instruction: Chinese, English;
- Type of study: state university.
Renowned for its outstanding heritage and pioneering achievements, Shanghai University is located in one of the largest business centers in the world - in the heart of Shanghai. The university combines educational achievements with promising courses adapted to the latest advances in science, technology and culture.
Shanghai University is a member of the national project "Project 211", a complex research university. It has a clear and vibrant academic mission with forward-looking talent development goals, a global vision, and creative aspirations.
Shanghai University is known for active international exchanges and cooperation, it has established academic ties with dozens of foreign universities. Today, more than 3,000 international students study on the campuses of Shanghai University.
In addition to the traditional undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs, Shanghai University offers additional courses (18+ years):
- Chinese summer camp;
- 2-week Chinese language program;
- Doing Business in China Credit Program (DBIC);
- DHIC Internship Program.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Shanghai University
Accommodation, meals, prices
There are three dormitories on the Baoshan campus: Building V, Z, W. All rooms are well furnished, staff in each building ensure security around the clock.
The historic campus has two dormitories, Building D and an international student apartment in Shenyuan. All rooms are well furnished and staff in each building provide security and assistance 24 hours a day.
Each room has air conditioning, shower, internet.
Activities Shanghai University
- International Student Union SILC is composed of Chinese and foreign students who organize classes in the fields of arts, sports, entertainment.
- Media - a group of student volunteers - is responsible for the administration and operation of the SILC student magazine, and for advertising events through WeChat (analogous to What's App) and Weibo (analogous to Twitter). Journalists play a key role in reporting on student activities and expressing community views.
- The university boasts over 30 sports teams. Participation in them is a good way to develop communication, team skills, and make new friends.
- There are many activities on campus to enrich student life: welcome and New Years parties, top singers competition, an international cultural festival, cultural salons, a football match and other sports games.
- Chinese language courses at various levels are offered to all international students.
- Shanghai University is an important talent training base in Shanghai. It is one of 17 universities with national pilot colleges, one of the first universities to implement the Education and Training Program for Engineers by the Ministry of Education and the Education and Training Program for Excellent Journalism Talents implemented by the Central University.
- The school has created a special model for teaching talent based on the credit system, elective and short semester systems. Shanghai University graduates have been recognized by employers for their extensive knowledge, high all-round quality, strong innovative ability and ample development potential.
- In 2009, the school was recognized as one of the first national colleges with graduate employment experience.
- The university has developed a medium and long-term strategic plan aimed at creating a green, safe and informative campus, developing a university culture characterized by constant self-improvement, innovation, an open and inclusive approach to create a harmonious and active atmosphere. The plan aims to create a globalized campus to meet the needs of all students for their improvement in science, culture, sports, art.
- The initial employment rate of graduates in 2019 reached 99.2%. Over the past five years, the employment rate has been one of the highest among similar universities in Shanghai.
- Shanghai University is actively pursuing a strategy to strengthen higher education with talent and has initially formed faculties with clearer levels, reasonable structure, a certain degree of internationalization and adaptation to the needs of the school's development. The university invites high-level teachers, professors and practicing specialists to form a strong teaching staff in most disciplines.
- Among the famous alumni, several brilliant names can be distinguished: Chen Yifei (Chinese filmmaker and artist), Zhou Xin (President of E-House China), Scott Shaw (American writer and artist).
- Shanghai University has many strong areas, four of them can be distinguished:
- Arts and humanities;
- Engineering and technology;
- Natural science;
- Social sciences and management.
Facilities and equipment at Shanghai University
The university campus houses a library, a dormitory, a canteen, a gym and a small park.
The new campus, located in the northwest of Shanghai, about 15 km from the city center in the Bao Shan district, is distinguished by spacious territory and modern buildings, all conditions for leisure and leisure time on campus, including 3 football fields on the grass, 26 basketball courts, 18 volleyball courts, 16 tennis courts, swimming pool.
Shanghai University Library is divided into 3 parts. The Baoshan building has the main study rooms, the Yanchang part has the Wenhui library, and the Lianhe library is located in Jiading. The library offers 26 reading rooms with 3010 seats, 3 libraries with more than three million volumes, for example, more than 4600 serial publications with a lot of software: Elsevier, Ebscu, Kluwer, Academic Press. Since the main library is affiliated with the Shanghai Writers' Association, it has a meeting room for writers.
The educational institution has 11 research centers in sociology, linguistics and literature, mathematics, physics, engineering, materials science, metallurgy, electrical engineering and high technology.
Admission dates and extra charges
Application deadline - January 30-June 30.
The academic year lasts 10 months and is divided into two semesters.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Requirements for international students:
- Good health;
- Age - from 16 to 45 years old;
- A valid international passport and visa.
Requirements for knowledge of the Chinese language:
- Valid HSK Certificate / Bachelor's Degree in Chinese: Above HSK4 180;
- Completed study program in Chinese (Bachelor's, Master's).
Requirements for knowledge of English:
- IELTS 5.5 or TOEFL 80 or TOEIC 700 (only for business programs in English);
- Completed study program in English (Bachelor's, Master's).
List of documents:
- Online application;
- Copy of the passport;
- Two letters of recommendation (only for applicants for master's or doctoral programs);
- Certificate / certificate of higher education, certificate of undergraduate education (notarized in English or Chinese);
- Transcript of reports of the most advanced studies (notarized photocopy);
- Study plan or research proposal in China;
- Examples of works of art (6 color images) or music (1 entry) created by the applicant.
Scholarships Shanghai University
Every year the university awards scholarships to 130-170 students: for bachelors, masters, doctoral students, participants in language courses.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Shanghai University
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.