- Schools and programs after 8th and 9th grades
- Schools and programs after 10th grade
- Schools and programs after 11th grade
The system of secondary education in Canada is considered one of the best in the world, and it is in many respects similar to the system adopted in the United States. Every year thousands of students from different countries of the world come to schools in Canada, high school students strive to get prestigious certificates and enter a university. After each class you can find a suitable course in Canada.
Schools and programs after 8th and 9th grades
High School in Canada
After the 8th and 9th grades one can enroll in the High School course: this standard is available in most educational institutions, both public and private. Foreign students often choose boarding houses, as the latter are distinguished by an exceptional quality of education and comfortable conditions. Students study compulsory and additional disciplines, it is during this period that the process of seeking and approving the interests and direction of development begins. Compulsory subjects:
- Biology, Chemistry, Physics
- History of Canada
- Geography of Canada
- Health and physical education
- Fundamentals of Citizenship and Law
- Career Guidance
- + 3 more compulsory subjects to choose from.
Disciplines of choice give students the opportunity to determine the range of interests and preferences, and special services and staff help them in the process of choosing priorities. This choice is very important, because the next level of education (grades 11-12) is already directed toward getting ready for university. If the curriculum is successfully completed and the necessary tests are passed, the students move to the final stage of the senior school and continue to study at the AP or IB standards in Canada, the United States or other countries.
- Albert College. The college is consistently ranked among the TOP-50 best boarding schools in the country and offers a broad program of development of knowledge, physical activity, creativity, social service and recreation. 100% of graduates enter the desired universities.
- Royal Elite International Academy. One of the best schools in the country and in North America as a whole applies a unique approach based on the combination of traditional and the most modern methods and technologies. The campus is located in a unique location - in just 15 minutes you can reach the famous Niagara Falls.
Schools and programs after 10th grade
Advanced Placement (or AP)
Advanced Placement is a high-quality and prestigious high school standard adopted by the Canadian and US education systems. The course lasts for 2 years (11-12 grades), and its successful completion gives significant advantages when enrolling in higher education institutions around the world. To enroll, you must have a certain level of English or French and a suitable level of education. The curriculum assumes an in-depth study of specific disciplines - there are about 40 of them available, but usually no more than 27 schools are available. The most popular disciplines are:
- English Language and Literature
- French Language and Literature
- Mathematical Sciences
- Foreign languages
- Natural Sciences
- Computer science.
Foreign participants can additionally take an ESL course (English as a foreign language), they receive significant support in adapting to the lifestyle and educational system. For each of the subjects, a separate examination with marks A through F is passed, but only A, B and C are considered successful defenses. High marks on the exam provide ample opportunities for admission.
International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program (DP)
The international standard IB was developed in the 60s of the last century and enjoys a great prestige in many countries of the world. The course is taught in 1500 institutions around the world, and the results of examinations are accepted by universities in almost all states. Duration of the course is 2 years:
- 3 advanced subjects (240 hours);
- 3 items at the standard level (150 hours);
- Writing research papers;
- Theory of Knowledge course;
- Practical course "Creativity, sport and social work" (150 hours).
A total of 60 disciplines are available in the standard, but in each institution their number is limited - the more courses are available, the higher the ranking and the prestige of the school. Groups of subjects:
- Foreign Language and Literature
- Mother tongue and literature
- Mathematics and mathematical sciences
- Natural objects
- Disciplines to choose from.
The main plan of the IB for everyone is one, but each institution can make certain adjustments in accordance with its goals and objectives. Considerable attention is paid to developing critical thinking skills, responsibility, and performance. For successful completion it is necessary to pass a separate test for each of the 6 subjects (maximum 7 points), to protect the research work (essay), pass the work on the theory of knowledge and spend 150 hours of work on the course creativity, action and service. Graduates who successfully fulfilled all the requirements have the widest opportunities for admission to Canada, the United States, Britain and other countries of the world.
- Brookes Shawnigan Lake. The school is part of the international group Brookes Education and specializes in developing the student's potential with an active process of international exchange of opinions, ideas and methods. Graduates can be found in any prestigious university in the world.
- Bodwell High School. The establishment is controlled by the British Columbia Ministry of Education: there is education from 8th to 12th grades, and a very convenient entry system operates.
Schools and programs after 11th grade
With a certificate of full secondary education you can enter the university of Canada. Specifically for foreign participants, the Pathway program is in place, whose goal is to adapt to the education system and lifestyle in the country. Basic requirements for participation:
- Education: Diploma of High School Graduation
- English level: IELTS 5.0-5.5 / TOEFL 61-80.
Classes include English lessons and university-level disciplines: lessons are taught in small groups, which allows teachers to devote maximum time and help in solving all complex issues. Medium-sized establishments often have partnerships with a number of universities, so admission to partner institutions is somewhat easier. In general, after passing the preparatory programs, graduates easily enter the bachelor's degree of the chosen university for the 1st, 2nd or 3rd semester (depending on the course).
- Vancouver Film School. A real forge of professionals in the field of cinema and spectacular arts! A professional Pathway program is being conducted jointly with Wilfrid Laurier University in 3 areas: film production, scenario art for film and television, acting in film and television.