Rennes 2 University
Description of Rennes 2 University
- Year of foundation: 1969
- Location: Rennes, Brittany, France
- Age of students: from 18 years.
- Number of students: 24 000 people
- Language of instruction: French
- Type of study: public university.
Rennes 2 University is one of the largest public universities in France, specializing almost exclusively in the arts, humanities, and social sciences. The university provides best practices through education, innovation in a dynamic learning environment, welcomes more than 24,000 students to 5 different faculties.
Officially established in 1969, the university is closely connected with the University of Brittany, founded in 1460, carefully preserves the heritage associated with the development of Rennes and the region. The campus is located in the heart of the city of Rennes, the capital of picturesque Brittany.
The university is the only major university in the West of France, which offers students a wide range of specialties in the field of art, literature, languages, humanities, social sciences.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Rennes 2 University
Accommodation, meals, prices
International students can stay at the Rennes 2 University residence: Reservation requests should be made as early as possible by indicating your request on the university's registration form.
Room size – 9 m², with multifunctional cabin (toilet, washbasin, shower), refrigerator, desk, bed, chair, wardrobe, wardrobe, shelf, garbage can. On each floor there is one kitchen with appliances, dining area.
- Accommodation costs 244€/month.
Activities Rennes 2 University
The intensive life of the communities enlivens the life of the university: cultural, humanitarian, sports activists – 50 associations regularly offer concerts, forums, festivals, information weeks, moments of meetings.
On the campuses of Villejean (Erève), Mazier (RDC, building C), the medical center accepts students free of charge (dietetics, contraception, sophrology, relaxation, psychological counseling).
The Interuniversity Service for Physical and Sports Activities (SIUAPS) offers about forty options for sports activities.
The Relais Handicap office on the main campus coordinates a number of important services designed to support students with disabilities.
- Students can enroll in any of the 134 different bachelor's, master's, ph.D., diploma programs at any of the three campuses.
- The French-speaking centre CIREFE offers students the opportunity to improve their French before, during or regardless of their studies.
- The research strategy of the institution allows the community to actively participate in solving the main social problems: health, education, digital technologies, culture, politics, sustainable development.
- Working in close cooperation with national and affiliated laboratories, Rennes 2 researchers are widely known in their fields, as evidenced by the volume of scientific publications, events organized within the institution, national, European research contracts. The city of Rennes is an advanced center for scientific technological research in the field of humanitarian and social research. Today, more than 4500 researchers work here, which makes the university the eighth largest in France.
- The University promotes regional and national dynamism through a variety of educational offerings, research, and cultural life. Rennes is the eighth largest student city in France, with more than 60,000 students.
- More than 3,000 international students study at the Rennes 2 campus, the university has 265 partners around the world, and students and staff build strong relationships with universities and research institutions around the world.
Facilities and equipment at Rennes 2 University
The modern campus of Rennes 2 University provides students with equipped classrooms, libraries, spaces for self-study, specialized spaces for art.
- Le Tambour, an auditorium with more than 300 seats, is located at the entrance to the Villegent campus. From concerts and conferences to film screenings, this space is at the heart of many cultural events held at the University of Rennes 2.
- La Chambre Claire – several exhibitions are held here every year, showing photographs and other works of art.
- Art et Essai Gallery – Gallery, located on the campus of Villejan, under the university library, is a place of exhibition, distribution of contemporary art. Her educational missions related to teaching and research are accompanied by meetings and discussions with all audiences. The gallery holds from 4 to 5 exhibitions a year and is a member of the association "Contemporary Art of Brittany".
Admission dates and extra charges
The academic year consists of two semesters. One semester = 30 ECTS.
- Autumn semester: September – January
- Spring semester: January – May.
Registration fee – from 283€/year.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
- Candidates from non-EU countries must complete the Campus France procedure. The enrolment request must be received by Campus France by the end of January.
- Students enrolled in the 2nd, 3rd year of undergraduate, 1st or 2nd year of master's degree fill out applications online through the Campus France office (if such a service exists in the country of residence) or directly on the Rennes 2 website.
Language requirements: The applicant must prove that he has reached at least level B2 in French by providing a certificate (TCF, DELF, DALF).
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Rennes 2 University
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.