Pima Community College
Description of Pima Community College
- Location: Tucson, USA
- Year of foundation: 1969
- Language of instruction: English
- Number of students: about 75 000
- Type of eduaction: mixed.
Pima Community College (PCC) is one of the largest community colleges in the United States, located on several campuses. This institution is mainly attended by residents of the city of Tucson. Students are offered two-year programs of specialized specialists, researchers. The number of students on campuses exceeds 75,000 people, among them - 38% of visitors from other cities and countries. More than half of the students are female. and 53% of the total are between the ages of 18 and 24.
The teaching staff of the college is represented by more than 900 specialists in different fields, and the ratio of students to teachers is 16: 1, which makes learning effective, despite the large "population" of campuses.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Pima Community College
Accommodation, meals, prices
Because the college is focused on educating the Tucson population, it does not provide on-campus housing. Employees of the institution can help in finding suitable options for accommodation in the city.
Activities Pima Community College
Students of the college have the opportunity to participate in the media resources of the institution:
- Pima Post is an online news service run by students. This media portal was a finalist of the Society of Professional Journalists in the nomination "Best Two-Year Student Newspaper"
- SandScript is a literary magazine whose publications received the award for the best information article of the Humanitarian Association of Community Colleges.
Creatively active students can apply their skills in performing arts studios: theatrical, musical or artistic. The leadership qualities of students are welcomed in the Student Government, which is responsible for the convenience, efficiency and safety of the campus infrastructure, the organization of events.
The PCC sponsors 15 intercollegiate sports teams for men and women. The college's "defenders" are called "Aztecs." Competitions are held in several sports:
Depending on the season, a schedule of additional sports activities is drawn up: basketball players train more often in winter, football and volleyball players in autumn, and tennis, golf and athletics fans in spring.
- One of the largest colleges in the United States
- Opportunity to study online
- Accreditation from the Higher Educational Commission.
Facilities and equipment at Pima Community College
Five PCC campuses are located in the capital's Tucson district. Until 2019, the college had six study areas, but it was decided to close the Public Campus.
Desert Vista is home to culinary arts, hospitality and pedagogy programs, numerous short-term courses. On campus, there are good conditions for effective learning: classrooms, computer space, library, classrooms for classes with tutors and much more.
The Downtown campus is located in the heart of the city. On its territory, high-tech and innovation programs are educated, automotive technologies. In addition to standard classrooms, students have access to a bookstore, cafeterias and urban infrastructure - all attractions and the most visited places of Tucson are within walking distance.
Future information technology and veterinary specialists are educated on the East Campus . Students can develop their creative and analytical skills by using Makerspace in computer labs. The campus is home to the country's only cyber warfare proving ground, giving students the opportunity to analyze real-world threats from information technology in real time.
The Northwest Campus includes the college's state-of-the-art laboratories, as well as state-of-the-art classroom and classroom equipment, and is home to students of short-term health care programs.
The West Campus is prepared for medical students, providing them with a variety of equipment for practice. Here you can also meet web designer students, graphic designers and future masters of film and television. For them, recording studios, a large Arts Center with a cinema hall, classes with suitable equipment for each direction are equipped on the territory.
The PCC also includes three educational centers:
- Davis Montana Air Force Base Center
- Green Valley Community Learning Center
- South-Eastern Educational Center.
Admission dates and extra charges
The academic year is divided into three periods: winter, summer, autumn. These are the so-called semesters, at the end of each of which students complete the study of disciplines, pass exams or gain additional credits in subjects.
Holidays are held on the days of state, national holidays, as well as in winter - in January-February.
Additional expenses for the year include:
- Student services (for credit) – 3$
- Payment for technology (for credit) – $ 2.50
- Processing of semester disciplines – 15$
- International fee – 75$
- Testing of career interest – no more than $ 20
- GED/HSE Tests
- Health insurance for international students – 122,88 per month
- Accommodation, meals
- Books, consumables as needed
- Personal expenses.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Applicants can apply on the official PCC website.
Foreign nationals should be provided with:
- Completed online application form
- Personal documents: valid passport, health insurance, student visa, bank account
- Diploma of last place of study with official transcript, translated into English
- Test results of TOEFL iBt (from 61), IELTS (from 5.5), Duolingo (from 90) or others.
Application dates for foreigners:
- Fall Semester – July 15
- Spring Semester – November 15
- Summer semester – April 15.
When entering some specialties, it is possible to pass entrance tests, an interview or a questionnaire.
Scholarships Pima Community College
- Summer Tuition Award
- Pima Excellence Award
- Scholarship for Academic Merit
- Earn to Learn Scholarship Program
- Scholarships in partnership with The Metallica Foundation
- U.S. Academic Team Scholarship
- Pima-UAZ STEM Bridge Program
- Re-education at Helios Adelante College
- External scholarships from college partners
- PCC Foundation Awards.
Financial aid is provided to some students to cover the costs of tuition, books and supplies, accommodation and transportation.
The PCC provides benefits to military veterans who have served in the U.S. Army in the form of full tuition coverage, rapid acceptance for training, deferred payments, and other benefits.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Pima Community College
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.