Nanjing Agricultural University
Description of Nanjing Agricultural University
Nanjing Agricultural University is one of the most respected and oldest institutions of higher education in the field of agricultural sciences in China. It is directly subordinate to the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China and is a systemically important university.
It was founded in 1952 through the merger of agricultural colleges at the non-state university of Jinling and the Central National University. The history of the former dates back to the Agricultural Faculty of Natural History of the Xianjiang Normal School, formed by the local Department of Agriculture in 1902. From 1930 he was the Faculty of Agriculture of Jinling University. In 1949, after the founding of the People's Republic of China, it was renamed the State Agrarian College of Jilin University.
In 1960, the State Council of the National People's Congress identified the university as one of the two systemically important ones in the field of agriculture. In 1972-1979, classes were held in Yangzhou, after which the university returned to its former place, and the branch in Yangzhou received independence.
Since July 1984 it has been a university. In 2000 it was transferred from the Ministry of Agriculture to the Ministry of Education.
Since 2007, NAU accepts foreign students within the framework of the government scholarship program of the PRC, and since 2008 it has received the status of an educational center to assist African and Asian countries.
Provides training of bachelors, masters, doctoral students and postdoctoral students; 2800 teachers work within the walls of NAU and more than 28 thousand students of various specialties and profiles undergo training. Teaching is conducted in Chinese or English. Since 1978, more than 100 thousand students and 25 thousand graduate students have received diplomas here.
Faculties and colleges
Organizationally, the university includes 18 colleges and 1 department:
- plant protection;
- resource and environmental sciences;
- zootechnics and zootechnology;
- fishing and fish farming in Wuxi;
- food sciences and research;
- School of Economics and Management;
- social sciences and humanities;
- public administration;
- natural science;
- information technology;
- linguistics and foreign languages;
- social and political sciences;
- Department of Physical Culture and Sports.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Nanjing Agricultural University
Accommodation, meals, prices
Weigang's main campus is southeast of downtown Nanjing, close to the tombs of the Ming Dynasty emperors, listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites, near sun Yat-sen's mausoleum.
In addition to the main campus, the university has three additional campuses:
- Puzhen, where students of the College of Engineering, the School of Information Management and the School of Artificial Intelligence, as well as the first-year College of Public Administration are accommodated;
- Zhujiang, where the experimental experimental farms of the university are located;
- Baima, part of the National High-Tech Agricultural Valley.
The total area of campuses exceeds 8 sq.km, residential, educational and administrative buildings - 800 000 sq.m. A fifth campus, Yange, is currently under construction.
The fee for accommodation in student apartments in the 2022 academic year will be 800-1200 yuan per year, regardless of whether the student is a citizen of the PRC or a foreigner. All campuses are equipped with canteens providing opportunities for healthy and nutritious meals for students, numerous cafeterias and other catering establishments; Students on the Weygand campus usually enjoy street cafes and family-run restaurants in the city limits of Nanjing.
Activities Nanjing Agricultural University
Student life on the NAU campus is rich and full of events and activities. In total, the university has more than 100 student communities, from linguistic and musical circles, tourist clubs to the MODEL UN. There are volunteer organizations and a charitable society at the university.
- The University maintains partnerships with more than one and a half hundred universities and research organizations in 29 countries in the format of joint training or research programs, academic exchanges. Participates in dozens of programs of the EU, the World Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and UNESCO;
- Offers 62 bachelor's degree programs, 158 master's degree programs, 78 doctoral programs and 13 postdoctoral programs;
- Since 1998, it has been one of the key national universities "Project 211" - the hundred best higher education institutions of the PRC, which makes it a priority recipient of state funding for research and scientific projects;
- Also selected as one of the Innovation Platforms within the framework of the Project of the national national initiative 985 Excellence;
- According to the international database of scientific articles Essential Science Indicators, in seven areas (agricultural sciences, botany and zoology, environmental ecology, engineering and microbiological research, biology and biochemistry), Nanjing Agricultural University entered the top 1% in the world. At the same time, the first three are among the top 0.1% in the world, which automatically makes the university one of the leaders in these areas;
- NAU offers the degree of Doctor of Public Administration (MPA), Business Administration (MBA);
In addition, NAU occupies high positions in international and national rankings:
- 301-400 according to the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU);
- 801-1000 according to QS World University Rankings;
- 601-800 according to The World University Ranking (2021);
- 183 according to Asia University Ranking (2021);
- 49 according to the Best Chinese Universities Ranking (2021).
Total number of students – 28027 (2021); according to statistics, there are 16.3 students per 1 teacher in NAU, the gender balance is observed: 57% of students are women.
The share of foreigners among the contingent of students is 1.7% (2021).
- Bachelor's degree: total students - 17031, of which - 0.4% - foreigners;
- Magistracy: total students - 8974, of which 4.8% are foreign students.
Double undergraduate and postgraduate programmes are also available with leading institutions of higher education such as:
- University of California, Davis, USA;
- Reading University, UK;
- University of Western Australia;
- Massey University (New Zealand).
In parallel, a number of research platforms have been created on the basis of the university's own campuses in Nanjing, including:
- Joint China-US Research Center for Food Safety and Quality;
- Nau-Cornell International Technology Exchange Center;
- International Laboratory for the Diagnosis of Swine Streptococcal Diseases.
Facilities and equipment at Nanjing Agricultural University
The city of Nanjing served for centuries as a capital city for the emperors of the Ming Dynasty. For this reason, the concentration of cultural heritage sites, historical monuments and architecture exceeds all imaginable limits here.
The main campus is adjacent to the mausoleums of the rulers of the Minsk dynasty and one of the founders of modern China, Sun Yat-sen. It is located in a picturesque bend of the Yangtze, surrounded by flowering hills and fertile valleys, within half an hour's walk from the historic quarters of the central part of the city. Of undoubted interest are the Jimingsu Temple, the Ling-gu Pagoda, as well as a futuristic structure called the "Nanjing Eye".
The richest library has more than 2.5 million volumes, over five million e-books in Chinese and 200 thousand in English; more than 10 thousand items of periodicals are issued in analog and digital form.
The Weygand and Puzhen campuses are equipped with stadiums and sports centers of a wide profile; students and pupils of nearby schools have the opportunity to study for free.
Over the past twenty years, the Chinese government has spent more than 2 billion yuan on equipping laboratories, research centers and NAU sites.
Admission dates and extra charges
Students must pay all necessary fees upon arrival in China after registering at the university in person or by bank transfer in US dollars for an amount equivalent to that indicated in yuan; the transfer fee and the difference in exchange rates are charged to the applicants.
The deadline for submitting documents for bachelor's degree programs is June 15, for masters and doctoral students - June 30.
The amount of food costs on average ranges from 120 to 200 dollars per month.
Students are regularly recruited in 10 areas:
- environmental science and engineering (ecology, agricultural resources and environment, eco-engineering);
- business administration (business administration, e-commerce, marketing technologies);
- zootechnics (animal husbandry). medicine, veterinary sciences);
- food science and engineering (bioengineering, food science and engineering, food quality and safety);
- public administration (land administration, administrative management, human resource management, labor and social security);
- social sciences (law, sociology, tourism management, development of agricultural areas);
- biological sciences (biology, biotechnology);
- mechanical engineering (machine design, production and automation, industrial design, mechanical engineering);
- agricultural machinery (agricultural mechanization and automation, electrification of agriculture, engineering of high-tech agricultural equipment);
- information and communication technologies (electronic informatics and engineering, automation).
The cost of training depends on the direction of training: the most accessible bachelor's degree programs are agricultural sciences and forestry, followed in ascending order by social sciences and humanities, natural sciences, and the greatest cost is the art history profile. For some areas, an increasing coefficient of 10% may be applied.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
To enter the bachelor's program, the following documents are required:
- diploma of graduation from school;
- supplement to the diploma with marks not lower than good ones;
- motivation letter;
- a training or research plan of at least 200 words;
- letter of recommendation on behalf of a professor or associate professor;
- HSK certificate (for programs in Chinese, not lower than HSK 5 for humanities and agricultural sciences, HSK 4 over 210 for economics, HSK 4 over 195 for art criticism);
- TOEFL 70 or IELTS 6 (for programs in English);
- certificate of no criminal record;
- certificate of the results of the medical examination.
To enter the master's program, you need:
- bachelor's certificate and academic certificate of academic performance (in English, or with a certified translation);
- two letters of recommendation from associate professors or professors;
- a certified copy of the passport;
- photo 3*4;
- good command of English or Chinese.
For admission to the doctoral program, the following documents are required:
- Master's diploma (in English or with the attachment of a notarized or apostilled translation);
- knowledge of Chinese or English (depending on the chosen language of instruction);
- IELTS 6.5/TOEFL 90;
- Academic certificate of master's studies (in English, or with the application of a notarized translation);
- two letters of recommendation from associate professors or professors;
- a certified copy of the passport;
- Photo 3*4.
Scholarships Nanjing Agricultural University
Students can count on receiving a scholarship of NAU, fully covering the cost of studying at the university, as well as a monthly allowance of 2500/3000/3500 yuan for bachelors, masters and doctoral students, respectively. There is a comprehensive health insurance program in the amount of up to 800 yuan, a program of free housing (a double room for masters and bachelors, a single room for graduate students).
There are age restrictions. In order to qualify for a scholarship, students must be no older than:
- 30 years – for bachelor's degree;
- 35 years – for master's degree;
- 40 years for PhD.
It is also necessary to provide:
- certificate of no criminal record,
- a certificate with the results of a medical examination,
- certificates and certificates of higher education (in English or with a notarized translation),
- visa or residence permit in the PRC (if you already live in China),
- curriculum or research plan, business case,
- two letters of recommendation.
The online resource for applying for scholarships is open from November 1 to April 30 each year.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Nanjing Agricultural University
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.