Tourism is a phenomenon that is very common in the modern world. And this is quite understandable, because travel brings bright colors to everyday life and distracts from everyday worries and problems. Studies have proven that traveling in general makes us happier and more carefree, having a greater positive impact than even shopping.
The flip side of the coin is that the prosperity of tourism negatively affects the ecology of our planet. So, in recent years, carbon emissions into the environment have greatly increased.
However, everything is in our hands, and travelers have the opportunity to control the consequences of tourist processes and preserve the ecology as much as possible not only at home, but also on vacation.
The negative impact of tourism on the environment
What is the negative impact of tourism on the environment?
- First of all, it is harmful to the environment jet fuel from aircraft.
- In addition, great harm is caused by the huge energy costs used in resorts and hotels. Especially a lot of electricity is consumed by air conditioners in the hot season.
- There are also less noticeable negative consequences for the environment. For example, most of the food for tourists is purchased abroad, as a result of which local production and the economy suffer, and fuel costs skyrocket.
- It is also worth noting the large-scale deforestation in order to expand the resort areas and free up space for the construction of new hotel complexes, which cannot but harm the nature around us.
- If we talk about recreation on the islands, then in this case the negative impact is primarily on the water and the local ecosystem, since food for travelers is delivered on liners and ships. For this reason, the lack of resources on the islands is most pronounced.
Recently, businessmen providing services in the field of tourism have begun to pay more attention to the worsening unfavorable situation with the environment. But without the help of tourists and travelers, they cannot cope, so it is necessary that each person contributes to the preservation of the environment.
Below we will describe a few ways to do this!
Determination of a place to rest
When planning a trip, try to give preference to large cities and megacities, because they have enough resources that will be enough not only for local residents, but also for tourists.
But you can do the exact opposite: visit those places where people live poorly and additional income is simply necessary for them.
Yale University conducts a large number of studies, thanks to which you can find out the economic indicators of countries and regions and choose to travel to such places of our planet where you will not only have a good time on vacation, but also bring some benefit from your presence.
The choice of a hotel should also be approached responsibly. Please note that today, in order to preserve the environment, a considerable number of them have stopped changing underwear every day. There are also hotels in which you have the opportunity to cook your own food.
Which car to choose for the trip?
If possible, try not to use a car, but to get to the place that you want to see, by public transport. If during the trip you can not do without a car, then give preference to an electric car, which can be rented in almost any fleet abroad. It's even better to ride a bike or walk if weather conditions allow.
Eat locally produced foods
Do not forget that a lot of resources are spent on products brought to the hotel restaurant from afar, negatively affecting the environment. Therefore, it is better to choose products that are mined or produced directly in the area where you are resting. So you will not only make your own contribution to the preservation of the environment, but also support the local economy! In addition, you will not harm your body by eating fresh foods without preservatives, which are necessarily part of those goods that, due to transportation, need to be stored for a long time.
And, finally, acquaintance with local life and local cuisine is always interesting, because you can discover new tastes and recipes!